AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With being at home largely this summer, we went to buy an outdoor screen a while ago. The screens I looked at in the morning were gone or 3 times the price in the evening!

So, we ended up ordering a 100 inch, 16x9 screen, the only one that was available at the time, and it took a while to get to us.

To test this, we used it inside last night due to possibility of thunderstorms. I'm using a projector from work, which is not a HT projector. It turns out that I can put the 100 inch screen in front of our (now tiny) TV and front speaker setup in our living room and it works really well: only blocks some sound from the R/L speakers, but we watched a movie and I couldn't really notice much blockage.

I'm thinking of buying a somewhat reasonably priced HT projector for inside/outside use. For outside, we were planning on taking a laptop and smaller bluetooth speaker, at least as a test setup. For inside, there's nowhere near theater level of blackness, though it does get dark once the sun goes down (we have a sliding glass door right near where the screen goes; while we have a covering, it lets light through).

We have also broken out the Wii, which was sitting in a box, and the kids of course want to play the Wii on the projector. So, gaming is an option.

What projector near say $500 can I get for this purpose? For inside, a throw around 10 feet or lower for 100 inch, 16x9 screen would be good. And lens shift "up" might be a benefit, so I could put the projector lower than the screen if necessary.

I see: Epson Home Cinema 1060? Optoma HD146X High Performance Projector?

And to get the throw calculations, do I have to download the PDF for each projector? Some websites just say "standard throw", but in terms of a 100 inch screen, I don't know what that means.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
With being at home largely this summer, we went to buy an outdoor screen a while ago. The screens I looked at in the morning were gone or 3 times the price in the evening!

So, we ended up ordering a 100 inch, 16x9 screen, the only one that was available at the time, and it took a while to get to us.

To test this, we used it inside last night due to possibility of thunderstorms. I'm using a projector from work, which is not a HT projector. It turns out that I can put the 100 inch screen in front of our (now tiny) TV and front speaker setup in our living room and it works really well: only blocks some sound from the R/L speakers, but we watched a movie and I couldn't really notice much blockage.

I'm thinking of buying a somewhat reasonably priced HT projector for inside/outside use. For outside, we were planning on taking a laptop and smaller bluetooth speaker, at least as a test setup. For inside, there's nowhere near theater level of blackness, though it does get dark once the sun goes down (we have a sliding glass door right near where the screen goes; while we have a covering, it lets light through).

We have also broken out the Wii, which was sitting in a box, and the kids of course want to play the Wii on the projector. So, gaming is an option.

What projector near say $500 can I get for this purpose? For inside, a throw around 10 feet or lower for 100 inch, 16x9 screen would be good. And lens shift "up" might be a benefit, so I could put the projector lower than the screen if necessary.

I see: Epson Home Cinema 1060? Optoma HD146X High Performance Projector?

And to get the throw calculations, do I have to download the PDF for each projector? Some websites just say "standard throw", but in terms of a 100 inch screen, I don't know what that means.

Please delete/edit the second post. Try imgur or something or just attach the picture.

For projectors you need black out shades, and install them in a way to block out the light.

The HC1060 is a good option, with lacking black level.

Other projectors can have somewhat better black levels, but I don't know if that will matter to you.

DLP projector with a RGBRGB color wheel will do. The HD146 does not have that type of color wheel.

Something like the Benq HT2050/A is a great option, or even HT1070A.
https://www.benq.com/en-us/explore-benq-products-store-offer-deals/benq-outlet-refurbished-products-deals/refurbished-projectors/home-theater.html

https://www.viewsonic.com/us/outlet/shop/projectors/px725hd-s.html

With lens shift you'll need something like Epson HC3100/3700.
Be aware that with Epson refurbs they can't be returned unless faulty:
https://epson.com/Clearance-Center/Home-Entertainment/c/cc301

Use this site for calculations:
https://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-HT2050A-projection-calculator-pro.htm

At the bottom of the page, there is a section called lens shift, after inputting the screen size:
https://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-PowerLite_Home_Cinema_3700-projection-calculator-pro.htm

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Please delete/edit the second post. Try imgur or something or just attach the picture.

For projectors you need black out shades, and install them in a way to block out the light.

The HC1060 is a good option, with lacking black level.

Other projectors can have somewhat better black levels, but I don't know if that will matter to you.

DLP projector with a RGBRGB color wheel will do. The HD146 does not have that type of color wheel.

Something like the Benq HT2050/A is a great option, or even HT1070A.
https://www.benq.com/en-us/explore-benq-products-store-offer-deals/benq-outlet-refurbished-products-deals/refurbished-projectors/home-theater.html

https://www.viewsonic.com/us/outlet/shop/projectors/px725hd-s.html

With lens shift you'll need something like Epson HC3100/3700.
Be aware that with Epson refurbs they can't be returned unless faulty:
https://epson.com/Clearance-Center/Home-Entertainment/c/cc301

Use this site for calculations:
https://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-HT2050A-projection-calculator-pro.htm

At the bottom of the page, there is a section called lens shift, after inputting the screen size:
https://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-PowerLite_Home_Cinema_3700-projection-calculator-pro.htm

Thank you. Sorry about that (now deleted) picture. I just did a cut and paste, and the forum gave an error and quit on me. I did not realize what had happened.

In my previous house, I had redone a room and installed black out shades. But in this house, we actually used my work projector (Viewsonic PJD5555w, DLP, WXGA, 3300 lumens) on the screen indoors, and it did a great job. 100 inches is huge in my living room; kinda small outdoors.

Those look like good options, and I'll compare them.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I remember now why I hate looking at projectors. Went to look at those links, and everything is sold out. Then, you get into a confusing array of data, a lot of which is total BS. For instance, lumens are (basically) useless, except as a gross measure, as different modes will output different lumens. I obviously need a little higher in real lumen output, but at the same time, our living room can get pretty dark, particularly in the winter (live in CT, USA).

The good thing is that it's been a while since I last looked at projectors. The lumen output has gone up, as has the quality of output, and the cost has come down.

Now just need to sift through mountains of data....

Hopefully, I correctly attached the picture, which shows the screen indoors.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Well, I remember now why I hate looking at projectors. Went to look at those links, and everything is sold out. Then, you get into a confusing array of data, a lot of which is total BS. For instance, lumens are (basically) useless, except as a gross measure, as different modes will output different lumens. I obviously need a little higher in real lumen output, but at the same time, our living room can get pretty dark, particularly in the winter (live in CT, USA).

The good thing is that it's been a while since I last looked at projectors. The lumen output has gone up, as has the quality of output, and the cost has come down.

Now just need to sift through mountains of data....

Hopefully, I correctly attached the picture, which shows the screen indoors.
The Viewsonic and Epson are in stock.

If all else fails you could get a non RGBRGB 1080p DLP.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Here is my setup - I was originally looking at the Epson HC2100 as I thought I wanted a longer throw projector but after I remeasured the HC1060 works out for placement. I have a DIY garage mount like this - https://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Low-Cost-Porjector-Ceiling-Mount/ and still need to finish the outdoor mount which will be the same idea. I have been using it in the garage for now and it works out well though I did watch something in there earlier in the day so I had to close the garage half way as the outdoor light was washing it out a bit. Either way I think it works out well for the price tag.

Garage Setup:
Projector - Epson HC 1060
Screen - Elite Screens Manual B, 100-INCH 16:9
Receiver - Old Reciever & J-Tech Digital Premium Quality 1080P HDMI To HDMI + Audio (SPDIF + RCA Stereo) Audio Extractor Converter (JTDAT5CH)
Speakers - Dayton Audio MK402 4" 2-Way Bookshelf Speaker Pair
Source - Tube Shield TV

Patio Setup:
Projector - Epson HC 1060
Screen - Elite Screens Manual B, 100-INCH 16:9
Receiver - Denon 3400 Zone 2
Speakers -
Source - Tube Shield TV

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Those are nice set ups.

Well, I'm still working on this. The original plan was to buy a larger outdoor screen and use the work projector (never used at work) for the few times we did that. I'd get 120 inch plus screen.

However, everything was sold out and we got a 100 inch screen instead. And, due to the possibility of thunderstorms basically every night, we haven't had one outside showing yet.

So, that means I'm watching the 100 inch screen inside. Saw Hamilton on Disney+ last night, and it was great, even if I have not a great projector. It's getting a bit darker at night, which means that I could use movie mode on the projector and it wasn't washed out.

But even though we never use the projector at work (it sits in a case), I would like to get something for home. The work projector is really for work.

I might have to up the price a bit. I do think the RGBRGB 1080p DLPs are worthwhile. I also think some lens shift might be good, as this frees me to think about overhead mounting in the living room or placed on a table lower than the bottom of the projector.

Right now, I'm using a music stand that allows height adjustment, and placing the projector to shoot over the couch. But it's touchy and getting it aligned with the screen is a pain. As I sit here typing on the projector/computer, the image is crooked. Ugh.

But doing this also means I have to look at throws. To mount the projector on the ceiling means longer throw. To try to use a stand on the living room table means a shorter throw. A "normal" throw projector is either behind the couch (and not suitable for overhead mounting) or on the couch and not suitable for table placement.

I also remember that some of these projector modes make things look strange. For the projector I'm using now, most modes (like dynamic) make people's faces look strangely colored for instance.

Anyway, I'm off to do more research. And I have to say that every time I see a projector that might work, say via reviews, I find it's sold out/unavailable. So, I've had to start working "backwards": going to locations that sell projectors, see what they have, then see if they would meet my requirements.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ended up with a refurbished (and close out) Epson HC3700. It has a wide range where I can put it for my 100 inch screen, has lens shift (always good), many different options according to the reviews I read, reasonable brightness, etc. Not great black level, but considering where it will be (in the living room, basement, outside), and the screen we're using (just a generic 100 inch screen), that's not a killer.

Since the weather has been abysmal lately in CT, either too hot or wet, we haven't tried outside yet. But the kids love watching movies on it. And Hamilton was great at 100 inches.

So, thanks for that suggestion.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
I ended up with a refurbished (and close out) Epson HC3700. It has a wide range where I can put it for my 100 inch screen, has lens shift (always good), many different options according to the reviews I read, reasonable brightness, etc. Not great black level, but considering where it will be (in the living room, basement, outside), and the screen we're using (just a generic 100 inch screen), that's not a killer.

Since the weather has been abysmal lately in CT, either too hot or wet, we haven't tried outside yet. But the kids love watching movies on it. And Hamilton was great at 100 inches.

So, thanks for that suggestion.
Use Eco lamp with a preset that is not too bright, and active iris to highest setting.

Also set the color space, black and white level:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/3090344-epson-hc-3200-3800-revealed-15.html#post59005708
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/3090344-epson-hc-3200-3800-revealed-16.html#post59006190

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmm...Not sure I would do this again. The Epson HC 3700 got here...and does not turn on. Hitting the on/off button does nothing. It does turn "on" if you use the remote, but it just starts the fan, there's a tiny amount of light output, which then goes away, as does the fan.

On the other hand, it physically looks a lot nicer then my borrowed one and from the user's manual I downloaded, has a lot more features.

So, I have to return this one (buying insurance on my dime) and buy another one, and the price went up by $50.

All of the last 3 receivers, I've bought refurbished and have never had an issue. I guess it's more of a crap shoot with projectors? I mean, they can't even test it to see if it turns on?

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Another thing is that the documentation says to go to Epson.com and get a return authorization number. But you go there, and that's difficult to find. I instead had to search for "epson projector return authorization number". And even then the only way I can see to get a number is to call.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Hmm...Not sure I would do this again. The Epson HC 3700 got here...and does not turn on. Hitting the on/off button does nothing. It does turn "on" if you use the remote, but it just starts the fan, there's a tiny amount of light output, which then goes away, as does the fan.

On the other hand, it physically looks a lot nicer then my borrowed one and from the user's manual I downloaded, has a lot more features.

So, I have to return this one (buying insurance on my dime) and buy another one, and the price went up by $50.

All of the last 3 receivers, I've bought refurbished and have never had an issue. I guess it's more of a crap shoot with projectors? I mean, they can't even test it to see if it turns on?
Epson's quality control is not that great. But it's a great projector at a good price.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Epson's quality control is not that great. But it's a great projector at a good price.

Yeah, I've decided to give it one more try. We have set up the basement as a "theater", and I'm about to put up blackout shades to cover the windows. But using my crappy work projector, we watched Artimis Fowl (better than I thought it would be, but different from the books), and it was really a nice treat. And we can send the kids down there and the wife and I can watch something adult upstairs on the tiny screen. And if we can ever have friends over again (in the house), this will work great.

This projector is great for this purpose. It has everything, including a relatively short throw, so the speakers are in front of the sitting locations. And the lens shift means I could put it a bit lower, and this will make it even nicer.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Has anyone returned one of these refurbished projectors? The website says this:

"Note: Epson does not accept returns on refurbished items except if product arrives defective, in which case, we will provide a replacement with the same model or equivalent."

However, the materials that came with the projector imply that you have to return the projector and separately buy another one.

It's not clear.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Has anyone returned one of these refurbished projectors? The website says this:

"Note: Epson does not accept returns on refurbished items except if product arrives defective, in which case, we will provide a replacement with the same model or equivalent."

However, the materials that came with the projector imply that you have to return the projector and separately buy another one.

It's not clear.
From what I remember this one has to be sent back and Epson will send another one.

You can ask here or contact Epson:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/199-front-projectors-great-found-deals/3059050-refurbished-epson-5040ub-1-151-00-a-36.html

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What I had to do was email, as the phone system has fewer hours (no Saturday hours, the the projector came on Friday, and I plugged in and it did not work). They then asked me questions about testing it. Then I got yet another number to call, which I called on Monday, but could not get through. My wife called, and after getting switched from Technical Help to somewhere else, they said they'd send a new projector. They did, and I got it. I just need to return the other one (trying to get to a FedEx place, but my upstairs AC unit started tripping the breaker, so I'm trying to figure that out).

Anyway, with no anything, just plugging in and setting up for the 100 inch screen, this is a fantastic projector for the price. The lens shift in particular helps. I barely had time to align the thing with the screen before the kids wanted to watch a movie. Last night, we watched half of Avatar, and it looked phenomenal.

One day, I'll set up correctly.

The only thing I don't like is the rear speakers and the connection for other audio. We have the couch/chair behind the projector. Great if you're in those. My daughter wants to sit on the floor (on a "gaming chair") in front of the projector. She can't hear the sound as well, since it's behind her and shooting backwards.

So, I put a small speaker and attached it to the audio out port. But you can either play that speaker OR the speakers in the projector but not both. (As far as I can tell, anyway.) That sucks, as now I have to buy some speakers I can put near the screen.

If I could figure out a way to split the audio between the projector and a speaker, that would be great.

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
What I had to do was email, as the phone system has fewer hours (no Saturday hours, the the projector came on Friday, and I plugged in and it did not work). They then asked me questions about testing it. Then I got yet another number to call, which I called on Monday, but could not get through. My wife called, and after getting switched from Technical Help to somewhere else, they said they'd send a new projector. They did, and I got it. I just need to return the other one (trying to get to a FedEx place, but my upstairs AC unit started tripping the breaker, so I'm trying to figure that out).

Anyway, with no anything, just plugging in and setting up for the 100 inch screen, this is a fantastic projector for the price. The lens shift in particular helps. I barely had time to align the thing with the screen before the kids wanted to watch a movie. Last night, we watched half of Avatar, and it looked phenomenal.

One day, I'll set up correctly.

The only thing I don't like is the rear speakers and the connection for other audio. We have the couch/chair behind the projector. Great if you're in those. My daughter wants to sit on the floor (on a "gaming chair") in front of the projector. She can't hear the sound as well, since it's behind her and shooting backwards.

So, I put a small speaker and attached it to the audio out port. But you can either play that speaker OR the speakers in the projector but not both. (As far as I can tell, anyway.) That sucks, as now I have to buy some speakers I can put near the screen.

If I could figure out a way to split the audio between the projector and a speaker, that would be great.
No one uses the internal speakers in a typical projector setup if they can help it. Audio is as much as half if not more of the Home Theater experience. Your audio should and does originate from your source not the projector. Most use an AVR (AV Receiver) to get audio and it will also distribute your video sources with HDMI switching. You can start fairly inexpensively with a simple 2 channel system but once you hear the difference a good audio system adds to the experience you most certainly will want to upgrade and an AVR over something like a sound bar will give you that path at a much lower cost with just a slightly more initial investment. Since you have a purely 1080p HDMI 1.4 projector the used market is ripe with older AVR's that don't support 4K as many are upgrading and available for pennies on the dollar. If an AVR still is too expensive at least get some powered computer speakers as anything is better then the on board audio.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, sadly, right before deciding to get this projector, I gave away a HT receiver. An older model, but would handle all the audio (not the video) inputs well.

I can't really do higher end audio. This basement connects to an in law apartment, where my mother lives. Now, she lives over the garage, but there is little separation between the unfinished basement and part of where she lives, which means any sound can easily travel there. I need some sound, but not a lot.

And with receivers, you have to start thinking speakers. I have a pair of Linn 5140s, but one stopped working partially, which means the crossover went bad. (In my upstairs room, I have a 5 channel with three Salk HT3s in the front and two "in wall" speakers in the back, powered by a receiver; my Jeff Rowland #10 amp sadly died, so the fronts are only powered by a receiver. Had the Linns there, until they died.) Now, those Linns are great HT speakers, but I sold the center channel a while ago, and I've have to fix the crossovers.

I have no time to do this. My AC unit just died, it appears. I have a list a mile long of things to do on my house that do not involve fixing speakers.

Anyway, given my time constraints and the physical configuration of the house, I might have to go with a soundbar.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts