AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read a ton of reviews and narrowed it down to the below 4 models.

I am going to purchase the 120" ProjectoScreen120HD from Visual Apex and use it outdoors. I will of course wait till at least Dusk and for the sun to go down behind the neighbors home. We plan on sitting at least 12'-15' from the screen.

The DLP's I chose each have 6x Color Wheels to help reduce RBE. I would like to stay in the price range of the below projectors.

I don't care about 3D, and this is strictly for Blu-Ray Movies. We may watch it in the house, but very rarely.

Thank you...I look forward to hearing back from everyone. :)

BenQ W1070 $655.00
• 1 year parts and labor warranty
• 2000 Lumens - Contrast Ratio 10,000:1

BenQ HT1075 $785.95
• 1 year parts and labor warranty
• 2200 Lumens - Contrast Ratio 10,000:1

Epson 3010 $799.00 Refurb
• 2 Year Parts and Labor with replacement program
• 2200 Lumens - Contrast Ratio 40,000:1

Epson 8350 $699.00 Refurb
• 2 Year Parts and Labor with replacement program
• 2000 Lumens - Contrast Ratio 50,000:1

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Any reason for going so small on the screen? My buddy has the Visual Apex 144 inch screen in his basement and they sit about 12 to 15 feet away. I promise you 120 inches will start to look small and you will wish you had gone with a larger screen when you lose some of the 16:9 to accommodate the blu-ray aspect.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Any reason for going so small on the screen? My buddy has the Visual Apex 144 inch screen in his basement and they sit about 12 to 15 feet away. I promise you 120 inches will start to look small and you will wish you had gone with a larger screen when you lose some of the 16:9 to accommodate the blu-ray aspect.
Steve...I thought Blu-rays were 16:9...not sure what you mean about losing some of the screen? The screen is 120" 16:9.

I do however agree that a larger screen might be cool.

Just got an email from a reputable vendor that has a great deal...$799 for the Epson Home Cinema 2030 Projector + a FREE Outdoor 120" or 144" Diag. Screen + a FREE ceiling mount.

The screen is very highly rated so I think this is an awesome deal!

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Different blu-rays have different aspect ratios. Randomly look at the back of some of your blu-rays at the aspect ratios. If a Blu-ray has black bands at the top and bottom of your 16:9 TV when you play it, the same will occur with the projector. I do a 16:9 169inch image and on some Blu-ray disks I lose size to accommodate a widescreen format. This is why I stopped using my 70 inch TV for movies...it was too small to enjoy.

On the HC2030, I have the HC2000 with right at 2700 hours on it and I think it is a great projector for the price plus it has a filter so outdoor bugs getting sucked into the projector shouldn't be an issue. (I just ordered another HC2000 for outdoor/travel use from Amazon since they are on sale for $549 under other sellers and the seller is Amazon.)

·
Registered
4 Posts
On the HC2030, I have the HC2000 with right at 2700 hours on it and I think it is a great projector for the price plus it has a filter so outdoor bugs getting sucked into the projector shouldn't be an issue. (I just ordered another HC2000 for outdoor/travel use from Amazon since they are on sale for $549 under other sellers and the seller is Amazon.)
Thank you for the explanation...now that you mention it, I do see black bars sometimes.

Glad to see you like the HC2000...pretty much the same as the 2030. I didn't know about the air filter...that is a great point!

I will get the 144" screen, and if the picture is too big (yeah right...LOL! ) I will move the projector in a little bit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.