AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advise on a projector for my PC Room. It will only be used for my PC, gaming and internet browsing. The room is 11.5ft wide and I think I want to go 1080p. I dont think 720P would be high enough resolution for gaming on a large screen, I am hoping for at least 80 inches if not closer to 100 inches. I am new to projectors, so I am looking for any advise on mounting and the unit itself. I saw the thread on the Optoma HD20 that is coming out, that seems like a good bet since I dont want to spend 2K.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Most PS3 games are 720 and they look great. Don't forget, that's 1280x720, so still a good bit of resolution. 1920x1080 is a lot to ask if you're playing FPS's and want a really high framerate. Even to sustain 60fps is pretty tough.

The X10 will run at 75hz if you care, and it's 1080. You will not come close to your 100" screen tho with that. It's gonna come in quite a lot smaller, probably around 75-80. Still, that's pretty big if you're that close.

My nephews brought a PS3 here to use my setup a few weeks ago and I also have played a couple minutes of shooters on my HTPC. (Quad Phenom/HD4870). Either way, I was pretty disappointed in the gaming just cause the screen is too big to take it all in. When I'm gaming, I usually was pretty serious and there is simply no way my peripheral vision can catch things on a screen this size vs doing it on a 24" LCD or something like that. I'd probably have to zoom my projector down as far as it can go to do any serious gaming. When the nephews used the ps3 in split screen, then tried it both vertical and horizontal. The Horizontal split was impossible to play. It was way too wide. The vertical split then gave each player a 4' square to look at and that worked much better. When I fire up older games like RTCWolfenstein or Quake 4, I prefer to reduce the res and look at a smaller window. That's just me.

FYI, my screen image is 104", just for reference.

My rule of thumb is, if the game is such that you can get killed from the far corners of your screen, don't bother trying to have "Fun" on a projector. If the fun to you is how big the image is, then any pj is gonna work great.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I run a pretty serious rig, so the 1920x1080 wont be a problem, I am always up to date on GPUs. I am currently running at 1680x1050 but I can max anything out fine, if not I will just run SLI :0. I am playing most MMOs and console ports on the PC now, I have a PS3 and 360 on a 56" Samsung that I play most of the FPSs on.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I have a 720p hc3000 rigged with a wide angle lens and play pc games at 140 inches from 9 feet away... So trust me, don't waste your money on 1080p native projectors, 720 is plenty. Though i have excellent periphery vision so the larger screen isn't a problem, but unless you're the same i would go smaller, which would make the 1080p even more of a waste imo.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I wouldn't try to talk him out of a 1080 projector. Yea, it might be a little wasteful, but, the idea of a pj is wasteful. If it's what he wants, that's great too. It's a lot easier to make a 720 image on a 1080 projector than the other way around. Getting a 720 now if he really want's a 1080 might well see him replacing it very soon when he's not happy (for what ever reason)

For text on a PC, I really like the higher res cause I can increase the DPI of windows and the text is beautiful on the big screen without having too small a viewport. I like to increase the text size so things are easily legible and when you do that with too low a res, dialog boxes and control buttons start running over the screen cause the desktop isn't big enough. My monitors for my PC's are all 1920x1200 and with the PJ at 1920x1080, all I loose is a little vertical window size. At 720, I'd feel like I was running 1024x768 again, except , worse.

Thinking of games like COD4 or Americas Army (playing online), I'd be hard pressed to be a team player with a screen that size. I can appreciate if your vision is great, but my neck would be sore looking side to side. I'm used to a 24" LCD for gaming.

Matter of fact, I might just go download AA3 now since I've not gotten that yet.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I would rather overbuy on resolution than underbuy. The only FPSs I have played recently on the PC are Crysis and Bioshock. I tend to play more MMOs and action games as of late. I will get COD:MW2 on one of the consoles since I tend to have a lot more friends who play them on consoles.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Interested in what people have to say too! Been playing TF2/L4D and COD on a 50" DLP and I'm going to be purchasing a projector.

You must have a pretty serious system to be running full details!!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Wow, that is a serious rig... What type of cooler do you use?

And for your projector recommendation, I'm going to give you:

BenQ SP830. Cost: around $1,700 retail

3500 lumens

2000:1 contrast ratio

Native Resolution: 1280x768

Max. Resolution: 1920x1080 (16:9)

Benefits: It is more of a well rounded/multi-

purpose projector, you could use it for movies,

gaming, meetings, etc.

BenQ MP771. Cost: around $1,700 retail

3000 lumens

2000:1 contrast ratio

Native Resolution: 1024x768

Max. Resolution: 1280x1024

Benefits: MP771 has short throw technology, which

means you don't need a long distance to project a

large image! For example you'll need only 2 feet to

project a 40" display!

Hope that widened your horizon!

·
Registered
509 Posts
Many projectors do not support VGA over 1024x768. If you are aiming for a 1920x1080 projector make sure your graphics card and the projector can support the 1080/60 over digital connection.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
You went with the 8100 instead, how's it working out for you? Do you like it? Welcome to the club = )

1 - 13 of 13 Posts