AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted last week about deciding between a plasma and projector to replace my old non-HD (or even ED) RPTV. I have room enough for somewhere between an 85-92" screen depending on if I go with 16:9 or 2.35:1. From looking at projectors dimensions and clearance, it looks like I'll have between 8.5 and 9' between the front of the lens and the screen. I'll most likely be using this for outdoor movies a few time a year, so brightness would be good. The room is also not going to be painted black, as it's also a den. I'm not opposed to painting it darker, though. It will be fairly dark, and is can be totally light controlled - no windows. I'll probably mount a shelf on the back wall for the projector; it'll also be over my head (couch is against the back wall).

I'm considering an Epson 705HD. I know this projector is said to be bright, but will this be a problem in a room with some reflection? Price, both of the projector and of bulbs, is a major consideration. I've been looking at some used projectors locally in the $175-200 range, but all are 480p. I think I'd want better than that, plus, with unknown bulb life, I think I'd be better off with a new one with a new bulb and warranty. Are there other models I should be looking at for this application?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
With your lens-to-screen distance I'd probably look into buying the Mits 82inch HD RPTV. You achieve the minimum diagonal you posted without all the limitations of a projector - like needing a dark room and etc.

We love out Mits 60in TV - I would have bought the 82in without hesitation but we have a PJ and screen with a 120in diagonal image.

Fact is, for a true Theater experience you need a projector sized image but you have to have the physical space necessary to implement a projector solution. IMO - you just don't have that space and TVs are so much more convenient that a projector/screen if you space limits you to max size tv.

GoodLuck

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchone /forum/post/18162477

What is your budget?

Do you plan on watching on it? Blue-ray, HD TV, gaming?

Right now, my budget for the projector is pretty close to what the 705HD sales for... perhaps a bit more. Primarily, we'll use it for TV (HD whenever I feel like locking myself into a 2 year commitment with Dish), DVD, streaming video (Netflix), and we'll start with Blu-ray once I get a TV that'll take advantage of it. I'm also planning on adding a smaller LCD or plasma for casual viewing.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjay /forum/post/18163271

With your lens-to-screen distance I'd probably look into buying the Mits 82inch HD RPTV. You achieve the minimum diagonal you posted without all the limitations of a projector - like needing a dark room and etc.

We love out Mits 60in TV - I would have bought the 82in without hesitation but we have a PJ and screen with a 120in diagonal image.

Fact is, for a true Theater experience you need a projector sized image but you have to have the physical space necessary to implement a projector solution. IMO - you just don't have that space and TVs are so much more convenient that a projector/screen if you space limits you to max size tv.

GoodLuck

I've thought about another RPTV, but they're so bulky. I currently have a 53" and it really takes up too much room. Plus, that Mitsubishi is WAY out of my budget. It's definitely much nicer than the old school RPTV's!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.