AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My room is around 10 ft wide. I will be using it for my computer, so I will need to be able to read text and stuff, and watch movies and stuff. So I guess a high resolution would be important so I could read text. Now I was thinking about the optima hd20, benq 1000, or maybe the vivtek h1080p. Now those might just work according to that calculator on projector central. But I also saw an epson 8100 that happens to be on sale. I see the 8350 for a couple hundred more, but not really sure if I can spend that much. Would it be a lot better and worth it? Also those has the tilt thing, so I was thinking.. maybe I could just put it in the closet behind me. I would be able to get a little extra throw distance that way. I will be using just a white wall for now. I'll get a screen later. I would like a screen as big as I could get. If theres anything better, my price range is around $1000, but the less the better of course.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have the same setup yoo plan on having with an 8350. I ordered it during Thanksgiving week while many retailers had it on sale. I'm sure the 8100 is a good projector, but it didn't seem worth it to get it over the 8350 when the price difference was so small (especially in contexts with the whole price). But back to the setup...

Placement is a non-issue with the lens shift feature. I have around the same size room and have the 8350 on a closet shelf. The closet takes up an entire wall and we removed the sliding closet doors to make more room (before I had the projector). I'm able to get an 6-7 ft wide image, but could go maybe a foot or two wider if I wanted to. It looks great!

I believe the other projectors you listed are good for their price, but you have to spend more money to get better quality in this case.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My closet is the like a door type thing all the way on the right of the room. I wouldn't think it would be able to go back in very far. Probably just to the edge of the door. I have a idea to put it on the top area where theres no door and just cut a little hole in the wall for it. Not sure my parents would like that though.. So anyone else care to comment on the differences between the 8100 and 8350? I still really don't know if I'll have enough money for the 8350. I guess I will if I sell my computer which I kind of want to do anyways. Theres nothing else that would be good for like $800 or so? I'd rather spend that much. The vivtek h1080fd would be right around there. I wouldn't be able to put it in my closet, but it probably won't make that much of a difference, right?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by computeruler
Ok so I guess I will need a 1080p one. So what difference would I see between the epson 8100 and 8350?
Well straight off the bat, the 8350 is a better choice because it's newer and got improved specs. Not sure if the 8350 is supposed to be a successor of the 8100, but definitely the 8350 if you're comparing those 2. Mainly because it's slightly brighter and it has an improved contrast ratio.

The 8350 has 50,000:1 contrast ratio, 2000 lumens

The 8100 has 36,000:1 contrast ratio, 1800 lumens

The 8350 also consumes slightly less energy than the 8100, perhaps better lamp hours in the long run?

Overall, the 2 units are quite similar, but of course, you should take the newer one for a slightly higher price.

On a side note, if you're interested in the W1000, I would recommend you looking at the W1000+. The W1000 should be discontinued now, which was a great projector, but there were a fair amount of users complaining about the slower color wheel. The W1000+ can be had for under 1k, and has slightly improved specs of the original unit. It comes with a 3x color wheel, 2000 lumens, 3500:1 contrast ratio. The main improvement on the w1000+ seems to be the color wheel, the contrast ratio (which many have complimented on the better picture quality compared to the W1000), and the lamp hours. The new unit is able to squeeze out 5000 lamp hours when used on eco-mode. Which would be a considerable bargain when compared to the Epsons that give out 4000 on eco mode.

Epsons will give you placement as they have lens shift, while the BenQ doesn't. There are many factors to consider, but I hope that helps give you a little more information regarding the diff. between 8100 and 8350 and W1000+

1 - 7 of 7 Posts