AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really don't know if this is the correct forum for this thread but I would think I am closer to this price range than the under $5000 msrp forum.

I have a semi light controlled room with a Stewart Firehawk 106" screen. I still have not purchased the projector because I am taking this in steps. I purchased the screen first because I thought that I needed the 1.3 gain because of the light conditions. I live in a very small market (Arkansas) that has NO place to demo these projectors. That is why I have been using the Internet to get my info.

I will be seated roughly 20ft from the screen. I have no problems with where I can mount the projector so throw distance and mounting conditions can be very liberal. I primarily watch DVD's and also have a HDTV DTV setup.

I have been looking at the two infocus units 7200 and 5700. What kind of improvement between these two units does everyone notice? Is it worth the extra money to buy the 7200? Would it be better to buy the 5700 now and look at an upgrade in two years ( I am sure that the technology will get better as well as the prices). The 7205 sounds really good but I can't wait now that I have the screen until January.

What other units should I consider?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Patrick

I am

· Registered
1,588 Posts
Infocus has the only HD2 DLP that is bright enough to overcome a significant amount of ambient light, IMHO. The Fire hawk is a great match for it, with or without ambient light.

However, the darker your room, the better the picture. Ambient light will degrade the image no matter how bright the PJ is, it is just a matter of degrees. The brighter PJ will hold up better to more light than a dimmer PJ would. The more light control you can gain, the better your image will look. If you were to gain complete light control, then you would have alot more PJs to choose from.

I have not seen the 5700, so I can't offer you an opinion as to how it compares to the SP7200. The other PJ's I know of that are bright include the:

Sanyo PLV70

JVC SX21

NEC 260 (a cheaper, lower resolution PJ with good PQ).

I chose the SP7200 over the three listed above. YMMV

Glenn

· Registered
1,363 Posts
Patrick

Hi there, hope this helps.

At 20 feet viewing distance you should not have a screen door concern with any of these PJ's.

I have seen both the InFocus PJ's and they are very bright and produce the best images in their class IMHO. A screen of your size will be better served by the 7200 which van be purchased very competitively at the moment. They just announced the 7205 at CEDIA.

I have seen the 5700 and 7200 in rooms next to each other projecting the same material onto the same screen and size. Specifically the difference between the 7200 and 5700 is resolution. The 7200 provides 56% more pixels!! That makes a real difference. I saw no major differences in brightness, contrast or color. In fact, you should go to projectorcentral.com and compare the PJ's side by side and you'll see the numbers back up my observations.

Both are wonderful projectors - neither gave me headaches (every other DLP does). Of the two for a room of your size with your size scren I'd recommend you call Daniel at AVS and buy the 7200. You'll love it.

I have not seen the Sanyo, however, it is rumored to be very bright.

The SX21 from JVC is a different beast completely. First off the MSRP is close to $3k more than the InFocus 7200, though you may again want to check up with AVS. I's a different technology that provides different pros and cons. The DLP fans claim better blacks, contrast and brighter. The JVC fans, me included, claim better color, higher resolution and silkier, smoother film images.

Either way, 7200 or SX21 - you'll have a great PJ.

Rob

· Registered
366 Posts
At 20' away, do you guys really think that he needs to spend the extra cash for the 7200? I would just go with the 5700. I don't think that you would be able to notice the pixel gain of the 7200 much more than the 5700 at 20' away. If you were sitting 10' away, then I would recommend the 7200.

· Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the reply. I have been very concerned that I will not make a good choice. Of course I am sure I could get rid of the IF7200 pretty easy.

Like I said, I just got the screen in and I am EXCITED!!!

· Registered
6,227 Posts
Consider what works in your room due to throw... Can you get the image size you want from the machine you consider and does that put the device in a good location in your room.

No matter how bright a PJ is if you have ambient it will raise black levels and lower your image quality (depth / 3d like)... Now if you do have ambient the Infocus has more brightness and will give a better image while light is present that a dimmer machine (probably) or you could consider working with heavy drapes to control the ambient light and use a higher CR projector.

Look on VideoGon for some amazing deals on the Sharp 10k... It is now available for about the same price as BenQ and 7200... For me its long throw fits my situation and I hope to have one with me in a fortnight or so.

· Registered
42 Posts
This info is great! I am looking to upgrade from a PTAE 100 in a room with loads of ambient light, one wall is glass!

I have just about settled on the IF 5700, but am interested in the preference for the 7200. I will be sitting approx 15 foot from the screen. Is the extra resolution going to make much difference? Also, have IF solved the barrel distortion on the 7200?

Pete

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.