AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This unit has been working flawlessly for a couple years, and I'm not the original owner. I checked the hours and it's 1,200 or something like that.

I turn it on with the remote, comes on fine. Displays the PS3 menu screen. As soon as I actually start a DVD, the unit shuts itself off. The remote power button no longer works. I found simply by trial and error that unplugging the unit and plugging it back in somehow resets it. Then the remote will turn it back on. It will then display the menu from the DVD I started. It will then stay on as long as I want to play the movie. After shutting it off, I will have the same problem again next time I use it.

I can't think of anything that's changed. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
You, my friend, are experiencing the dreaded "iris issue". It was much more prevalent on the AX100's, but the AE1000 occasionally suffers from this as it uses the same iris.

Basically the iris is sticking. When you turn the unit on it does a "self check" where it opens and closes the iris. When the unit detects that more torque than normal is required it sees this as a defect and shuts down. When you remove all power you reset the firmware in the projector and allow it to try and turn on again.

There's a video of a gentlemen relubricating an AX100 iris with (I think) WD-40, but I'm not sure if that DIY fix would work on an AE1000. You may need to either continue turning it on and off, which will kill your lamp rather quickly, or send it in to Panasonic to have the iris replaced.

Good luck!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply TF. However, I'm not sure that makes sense.

First, why does turning the machine off and back on fix the problem? The iris would still mechanically stick the same. The problem is very linear. Turn it on, it fails, unplug it, it works, turn it off, turn it on it fails, unplug it, it works, etc.

But more importantly, it *doesn't* fail when adjusting the iris when the PS3 menu comes up. I'm assuming this "iris adjustment" occurs every time a new signal comes in, right? So I'm not sure why it would fail when adjusting for the first signal (PS3 menu), but not the second.

I could be wrong of course and I'm just missing something :)

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
That is the symptom. The theory is that the glue - I mean lubricant is then a little warmed up or something.

There is a You Tube video showing exactly how to lube actuators in the AE1000U....

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
If you review the AX100 problem thread you'll see this is common behavior for a sticking iris. Right now, it's becoming unstuck after only one try. If you keep running the unit it'll start taking 2, 3, 4 times, etc. before staying on. Once you get to 8 or 10 times it will fail completely and you'll have to get it repaired. I can't remember exactly how, but if you get into the service menu after it shuts off you'll see a red "ok" next to the word "iris". Take a look at the AX100 threads and you'll see the symptoms you're experiencing are identical to the iris issue.

·
Registered
21 Posts
So I was about to post that i have this same issues with the Panny turning off on it's own. Is it confirmed that it's an "iris" problem?

·
Registered
12,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnc /forum/post/19089793

Thanks for the reply TF. However, I'm not sure that makes sense.

First, why does turning the machine off and back on fix the problem? The iris would still mechanically stick the same. The problem is very linear. Turn it on, it fails, unplug it, it works, turn it off, turn it on it fails, unplug it, it works, etc.

But more importantly, it *doesn't* fail when adjusting the iris when the PS3 menu comes up. I'm assuming this "iris adjustment" occurs every time a new signal comes in, right? So I'm not sure why it would fail when adjusting for the first signal (PS3 menu), but not the second.

I could be wrong of course and I'm just missing something :)

Unplugging any AV device is often the best starting point for an issue. It will reset the internal software, and effectively reboot...projectors are no different. You are right...it is not fixing the problem, but rather simply tricking the projector into allowing a restart (not recommend other than for troubleshooting).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts