AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does a projector lamp go bad if you don't use it a lot over time or does it mostly depend on how much it was used and not time it wasn't ?

·
Registered
369 Posts
As long as it remains physically clean, it is usually a factor of how many hours it has been powered on. Many projectors have a timer and will tell you when the time is near.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Does a projector lamp go bad if you don't use it a lot over time or does it mostly depend on how much it was used and not time it wasn't ?
On/off cycles are a major factor. A bulb with fewer on/off cycles but longer times on per cycle will age slower than a bulb with fewer on hours per on/off cycle but more total on/off cycles.

IOW, using a bulb for a .5 hour per day will age the bulb much faster than a single 3 1/2 hour on/off cycle/week. Similarly running the bulb for 3.5 hours/day in a single on/off cycle puts less wear on the bulb than, say 3 x 70min on/off cycles/day.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What about buying a extra bulb and storing it inside until it is needed for a few years ?

·
Premium Member
4,314 Posts
I have replaced my bulb twice now and have about 20k hours on my PJ,........finding a bulb has never been a problem,...just get it when you need it. You will have plenty of warning in most cases...it will slowly get dimmer and dimmer, the PJ will warn you, flickering will happen and then finally it will pop. I have ran both mine until they popped.......

This is with factory replacement bulbs.....they both lasted within a couple hundred hours of each other,...very consistent.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
I have replaced my bulb twice now and have about 20k hours on my PJ,........finding a bulb has never been a problem,...just get it when you need it. You will have plenty of warning in most cases...it will slowly get dimmer and dimmer, the PJ will warn you, flickering will happen and then finally it will pop. I have ran both mine until they popped.......

This is with factory replacement bulbs.....they both lasted within a couple hundred hours of each other,...very consistent.
I don't know if you've measured the brightness, but does the image look half as bright as with a new lamp when it reaches the rated hours? This is what the literature says at least.

·
Premium Member
4,314 Posts
I don't know if you've measured the brightness, but does the image look half as bright as with a new lamp when it reaches the rated hours? This is what the literature says at least.

At about 5k hours it becomes noticeable easily.....beyond that it just gets darker and darker.

Mine is in a dark room with velvet, I would guess at about 3k hours it starts to be in decline some what, what percentage I do not know, but by 5k hours it has lost quite a bit.....when they finally blow at almost the 9k it is very dark, still watchable, but even minimal light pollution cause it to be unwatchable, where as when new its still very watchable in fairly bright light.

I know cycles have a large effect and mine is very low on the cycles 500 to 600 maybe as it is on about 16 hours a day.

I got it maybe a few months after my join date and I am almost 2k hours in on the third bulb......it has dimmed down a little, very little, but some.......I am honestly shocked the PJ is still functioning......I can`t believe this type of use was envisioned in product development.

I bet I am in the top 50 to 100 as far as hours ever put on one of these........there can`t be that many of us out there using them like this at 16 hours a day.

To be honest I almost purchased a new one instead of a 250 buck bulb because I did not think it would last thru another bulb......it will be a super hard decision to purchase another bulb for this at 25 to 28 k hours........that has to be some serious wear on the machine.

EDIT, I just looked and its been 3 years 8 months to get 20k hours.......quick math using 30 day months puts it over 15 hours a day for the entire 3 years 8 months.

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
At about 5k hours it becomes noticeable easily.....beyond that it just gets darker and darker.

Mine is in a dark room with velvet, I would guess at about 3k hours it starts to be in decline some what, what percentage I do not know, but by 5k hours it has lost quite a bit.....when they finally blow at almost the 9k it is very dark, still watchable, but even minimal light pollution cause it to be unwatchable, where as when new its still very watchable in fairly bright light.

I know cycles have a large effect and mine is very low on the cycles 500 to 600 maybe as it is on about 16 hours a day.

I got it maybe a few months after my join date and I am almost 2k hours in on the third bulb......it has dimmed down a little, very little, but some.......I am honestly shocked the PJ is still functioning......I can`t believe this type of use was envisioned in product development.

I bet I am in the top 50 to 100 as far as hours ever put on one of these........there can`t be that many of us out there using them like this at 16 hours a day.

To be honest I almost purchased a new one instead of a 250 buck bulb because I did not think it would last thru another bulb......it will be a super hard decision to purchase another bulb for this at 25 to 28 k hours........that has to be some serious wear on the machine.

EDIT, I just looked and its been 3 years 8 months to get 20k hours.......quick math using 30 day months puts it over 15 hours a day for the entire 3 years 8 months.
Allowing the lamp to reach the point where it explodes is a very bad idea. My beloved Mits HC7900 with over 20k hours on it had the lamp explode last week (about 3k hours on lamp) and after replacing the lamp it won't power up. No shards of glass escaped the housing so I am guessing it hurt the lamp ballast. I tore it down and ordered a lamp ballast from a stage lamp no less that appears to be identical for $15, hoping it fixes it (parts for the long discontinued Mits are hard to find). In the mean time I got a BenQ 3550 to replace it, I plan to write up my impressions in another thread comparing it to the old Mits and current JVC RS49u.

·
Registered
13 Posts

EDIT: REKBONES beat me to it :) I was typing my post when they submitted theirs.

OP,

I'll second the comment.

However, I would recommend replacing the bulb before it pops. While they had both their bulbs pop with no problems, it has the potential to damage the projector. Not always, but sometimes. Plus the replacement procedure is a pain as you have to clean out all the little bits and shards from the inside of the PJ. Once you know the bulb is on it's way out, just replace it early. Once you've hit several thousand hours, a couple hundred hours isn't going to be the end of the world in the grand scheme of things in my opinion.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts