AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here,and this may have been discussed,but can someone tell me why the lamp for my BenQ pj costs over 400 bucks when it looks like a $30 part???

·
Registered
889 Posts
- 99.9999% pure quartz bulb cylinder

- very high pressure gas

- requires very precise manufacturing specifications - very low tolerances for misaligned anodes, etc.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've always wondered about these expensive lamps.

I used to have an old LCD projector that used $30 lamps but they burned out quickly.

Is there such thing as a decent performing projector VGA (640×480) or better
that uses a lasting inexpensive lamp?

·
Registered
4,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drogers /forum/post/12984645

I'm new here,and this may have been discussed,but can someone tell me why the lamp for my BenQ pj costs over 400 bucks when it looks like a $30 part???

Your arbitrary assignment of value is mistakenly based on what you think you are looking at.

This will give you a better idea of what it really is:

http://www.ercservice.com/lamps/phil...sUHPLamps.html

·
Registered
1,362 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by klover /forum/post/12987746

- 99.9999% pure quartz bulb cylinder

- very high pressure gas

- requires very precise manufacturing specifications - very low tolerances for misaligned anodes, etc.

That explains part of the pricing structure, but there are other factors at play. When I purchased my first projector, a Panasonic PT-L200U in mid-2003 the replacement lamp was being sold by Panasonic for ~$220. When my original lamp approached 5000 hrs in 2007 I checked the prices and the same lamp was selling for $425 (that is still the price at the "official" Panasonic parts store online). Did it somehow become more expensive to manufacture after several years in production? No! It is obvious that Panasonic doesn't want me to replace the lamp, they want me to replace the entire PJ. I fell for their scheme and am glad I did, as the proud owner of a now 6-week old AX-200U.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMAG /forum/post/13002159

...Did it somehow become more expensive to manufacture after several years in production? No! It is obvious that Panasonic doesn't want me to replace the lamp, they want me to replace the entire PJ. I fell for their scheme and am glad I did, as the proud owner of a now 6-week old AX-200U.

I'm glad you are happy with your upgrade but your reasoning is not correct.

Let's say you need a new driver's side fender for your DMC-12 Delorian. When it was in production, it was cheaper than it will be now. And yes, Delorian OEM parts are still available.

The price change is because of part availability.

It would be very nice if a manufacturer would stick to one light source across multiple models but unfortunately with technology changes and improvements, those lamps become obsolete and consequently expensive as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts