AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time user and hope you are having a wonderful start to your day.

I am not sure how to quite explain this, but here it goes.

Projector: Benq HT1075
Silverticket 92" screen

Had the installers come in and mount the projector and screen yesterday. With ambient light in the room, everything looked great. The picture was perfectly positioned on the screen. Later at night with a dark room, i noticed that there was overflow light at the botom of the screen even when the picture was perfectly positioned. I tried a few options with keystone and zooming in/out and it didn't seem to fix the problem.

Hopefully the pictures will clarify what I am talking about. In order to show the defect, I had to get the pic out of focus, so I apologize for the quality. Look at the bottom edge of the screen where the light overflows even when the picture is perfectly positioned on the screen. Very evident in a dark room.

Can someone tell me if this is a projector issue or a picture configuration/optimization issue? And how can I resolve it?

Thanks in advance for the help and guidance.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you zoom in does the overflow move? Take a picture with the projector zoomed in as far as possible. Also how is the projector mounted in relation to the screen?

Bill
Yes, it does move. I am not at home right now, so cannot supply a picture just yet.

If I remember correctly, if I zoomed in just enough to ensure there is no overflow then the picture did not fill the screen and the top corners were curled inwards. I'll try to post a pic later today, but I hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Yes, it does move. I am not at home right now, so cannot supply a picture just yet.

If I remember correctly, if I zoomed in just enough to ensure there is no overflow then the picture did not fill the screen and the top corners were curled inwards. I'll try to post a pic later today, but I hope that helps.
The "top corners were curled inwards" says the projector likely isn't mounted within the screen area or level. Even a little bit titled front to back will wreck things, the front is lower than the rear in your case, you need to level it and then either shift the picture electronically if it has that feature or lower the projector physically.

Bill

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
First time user and hope you are having a wonderful start to your day.

I am not sure how to quite explain this, but here it goes.

Projector: Benq HT1075
Silverticket 92" screen

Had the installers come in and mount the projector and screen yesterday. With ambient light in the room, everything looked great. The picture was perfectly positioned on the screen. Later at night with a dark room, i noticed that there was overflow light at the botom of the screen even when the picture was perfectly positioned. I tried a few options with keystone and zooming in/out and it didn't seem to fix the problem.

Hopefully the pictures will clarify what I am talking about. In order to show the defect, I had to get the pic out of focus, so I apologize for the quality. Look at the bottom edge of the screen where the light overflows even when the picture is perfectly positioned on the screen. Very evident in a dark room.

Can someone tell me if this is a projector issue or a picture configuration/optimization issue? And how can I resolve it?

Thanks in advance for the help and guidance.
Your projector is tilted down toward the screen. Be sure the keystone correction is set to zero before doing anything else -- it looks like whoever installed it mounted the projector too high, tilted it down to hit the screen, then used keystone correction to "fix" the trapezoid problem. Tilt it back up until the entire image including your overspill has the same width top and bottom. Use a tape measure. Then zoom it down until the overspill just fills the screen side-to side with a slight amount overflowing onto the frame. If it is too high, then use the vertical lens shift screw under the cover on top of the projector to lower the entire image without tilting the projector.

If you cannot lower the image enough with the lens shift screw, then you need to raise the screen on the wall or change the projector mount so it hangs lower. If you need to do either of these, then first turn the lens shift screw back so the image is as high as it will go and then adjust the projector or screen height -- you want to minimize use of the lens shift if you can.

Who installed this for you ? Just so other members know to avoid them.

·
Registered
7,251 Posts
This is an installation error.

The center of the lens must be 2" to about 5" above the top edge of the projected image. If installed incorrectly, which is often the case from a 'big box' installer, then call them back out to correct the installation and let us know how they respond to that.

Any proper installation will have that lens in the proper position.

You should not be using digital keystone correction or digital zoom in any manner with a properly installed projector.

If you 'got a deal' on the installation, then this is why.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts

The center of the lens must be 2" to about 5" above the top edge of the projected image. If installed incorrectly, which is often the case from a 'big box' installer, then call them back out to correct the installation and let us know how they respond to that.

You should not be using digital keystone correction or digital zoom in any manner with a properly installed projector.

When I saw my first W1070 it was at a Fry's store, mounted upright on a shelf 10' up, tilted down to hit a 200" screen that started 2' off the floor, with MASSIVE amounts of keystone correction applied. I hate to think what sort of home installations they do if they can't even be bothered to set up their own theater room correctly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HI all- thanks for all the great feedback. Using the information provided, I was able to workout a deal with the installer to replace the mount I had provided with one that had an extension to lower the height of the projector so we could level it and not use any keystoning. This fixed the issue for good.

The Installer wanted to charge me for a service call in addition to the installation fees paid the previous day. I argued that if they were the skilled technicians they would have recommended I replace the mount at the time of installation and they wouldn't have needed to come out again. In the end, i did pay for a new mount, but in the end it was all worth it because I have a sweet setup now without the distracting overflow.!!

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts