AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand each projector has a throw distance and that distance affects the screen size. And I understand each projector has some flexibility.

So I purchase projector A, determine the throw distance for a 120 2:35 screen. Six months later, I want to upgrade to projector B which has a different throw distance for the same screen. Does everybody tear apart their ceiling to move their projector mounts, venting, and wiring? Or is there a standard distance by which can be used that most' projectors will fit into?

Next question is about venting the projector. I can see the plus side of keeping the heat out of the room and keeping the equipment cool of longevity. But I see a lot of rooms build without projector vents. Is it really worth the trouble if there is good ventilation in the room?

Thanks in advance.

Jim

·
Registered
7,567 Posts
I can't say that there is any magical setup that will give you a drywalled ceiling *and* the ability to switch to any possible PJ 6 months down the road.

The reality is that most (adjustable) PJs will overlap their throw range to some extent, but you may find you need to cut/patch down the road, or eliminate some PJs as possible contenders for an upgrade.

you can also do your ceiling with drop tiles, which will make future changes much easier, but that will impact your asthetics and sound considerations.

As for ducting the PJ heat out, personally I wouldn't go to the hassle just to have dedicated ducting to evacuate the PJ heat, but a hush box enclosure (with adiquate cooling) to attenuate the fan noise from the PJ would be something I'd think about.

-Suntan

1 - 2 of 2 Posts