AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there. I just ordered a new optoma hd20, it's my first projector ever. I'm excited!

What I am wondering is, is it ok to have the projector at ceiling height, but not upside down? Will the image still display properly? Is there anything else I should know about projector location, other than the obvious distance etc?

I want to place the projector on a very sturdy shelf, high up on the wall.

I know a ceiling mount would probably be better, but that won't work for me unfortunately.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
26 Posts
should be fine. Most pj's have vertical lens shift, just go to it's website and download the manual, it will tell you how much.

Vertical lens shift allows you to shift the whole image up or down, in your case down.

Enjoy.

·
Banned
3,453 Posts
No, sorry, you must mount this pj upside down or the image will be on the ceiling! Most DLPs, this one included, don't offer lens shift. They have a fixed offset, usually between 25 and 35 degrees. This means the pj needs to be very low if you don't want to keep it upside down. Since that would put the PJ down at knee level most folks mount them on the ceiling upside down, so the image will land on the wall. Be sure to read the manual carefully, as the relationship between screen size, PJ distance, PJ drop, and screen location are very rigid, no room for error. This is why so many people like LCD projectors, most all of them have vertical and horizontal lens shift.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply!

I tried the manual before posting here, but I guess I didn't know what I was looking for.

I was able to find the info by searching for lens shift as you suggested.

I was looking under installation, intstead of configuration I guess.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The manual for my projector says:

" V Image Shift

Shift the projected image position vertically.

V Keystone

Press the or to adjust image distortion vertically. If the image

looks trapezoidal, this option can help make the image rectangular. "

Is the image shift what I need?

·
Banned
3,453 Posts
The Optoma "image shift" is not a true lens shift. It is a feature that lets you move the image within the screen limits, such as for eliminating one of the black bars in a 2:35:1 image. You can digitally shift the image up or down to match the top or bottom of the screen, leaving one larger bar on the opposite side. This is a nice feature, but it won't really change the mounting offset requirement. You still want to set the PJ mounting height so the image lands properly on the screen, or, position the screen properly where the image is. You'll need to read the installation instructions, measure to see how high the PJ needs to be, measure to see how far back the PJ needs to be, measure to see how high the screen needs to be, and go for it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridapoolboy /forum/post/17031695

The Optoma "image shift" is not a true lens shift. It is a feature that lets you move the image within the screen limits, such as for eliminating one of the black bars in a 2:35:1 image. You can digitally shift the image up or down to match the top or bottom of the screen, leaving one larger bar on the opposite side. This is a nice feature, but it won't really change the mounting offset requirement. You still want to set the PJ mounting height so the image lands properly on the screen, or, position the screen properly where the image is. You'll need to read the installation instructions, measure to see how high the PJ needs to be, measure to see how far back the PJ needs to be, measure to see how high the screen needs to be, and go for it.

Thank you for the information. Hopefully I'll be able to find something that works.

I'll find out Saturday if fedex shows up in time!

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
As long as the mounts it attaches to (from description:Attaches to PRS and PJF2 mounts with carriage bolt and Armor Lock security screw) will work for the HD20, it will work. However, since this ties you to a wall, you need to make sure that the distances will work for the screen size you are using (i.e. if this puts the projector 15' from the screen, will it be able to project the necessary screen size). Personally I don't see much difference in mounting it to the wall vs. mounting it to the ceiling and a ceiling mount allows for more placement flexibility.

·
Registered
272 Posts
toptekjon,

You could just mount it directly to the shelf, on the underside. In the HD20 manual , you will be supplied the dimensions between the mounting screw hole locations. Transfer those to the shelf and drill your holes. Then you need to find the proper specification screws to match the holes on the HD20. I'm not sure if the HD20 will come with screws or if they only come with the mounts, but you should be able to find the screws you need at a major hardware store. Just be sure to note the screw type id, or bring your manual with you to the store so a qualified person can help you identify the screw you need. Get three spacers to. When drilling your holes on the shelf, go larger then you need so you can "wiggle" your projector from side to side to square the image on the wall if necessary. Use large washers with the screws to increase the surface tension when you tighten it in place.

Below is a template I scanned and scaled for standard letter size print-out. I'm not sure if it will work and won't know until I get my own HD20, but you could use this to transfer your measurements. (verify before drilling)

hd20-mount.pdf 133.267578125k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens /forum/post/17033074

As long as the mounts it attaches to (from description:Attaches to PRS and PJF2 mounts with carriage bolt and Armor Lock security screw) will work for the HD20, it will work. However, since this ties you to a wall, you need to make sure that the distances will work for the screen size you are using (i.e. if this puts the projector 15' from the screen, will it be able to project the necessary screen size). Personally I don't see much difference in mounting it to the wall vs. mounting it to the ceiling and a ceiling mount allows for more placement flexibility.

That is very helpful. Thank you!

I'm actually not going to use a screen. I'm going to project the image to a bare wall, and will likely use projector paint on the whole thing.

I'm new to this, so if it ends up looking like garbage, I will buy a real screen or build one myself. As of now though, I want to keep it as seamless as possible, outside of the necessary wall/ceiling mount.

I also want to be able to move the projector from room to room on occasion, depending on how many people are going to be watching. So that's another reason why I don't want to get to crazy with the mount.

Thanks again!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pringals /forum/post/17033922

toptekjon,

You could just mount it directly to the shelf, on the underside. In the HD20 manual , you will be supplied the dimensions between the mounting screw hole locations. Transfer those to the shelf and drill your holes. Then you need to find the proper specification screws to match the holes on the HD20. I'm not sure if the HD20 will come with screws or if they only come with the mounts, but you should be able to find the screws you need at a major hardware store. Just be sure to note the screw type id, or bring your manual with you to the store so a qualified person can help you identify the screw you need. Get three spacers to. When drilling your holes on the shelf, go larger then you need so you can "wiggle" your projector from side to side to square the image on the wall if necessary. Use large washers with the screws to increase the surface tension when you tighten it in place.

Below is a template I scanned and scaled for standard letter size print-out. I'm not sure if it will work and won't know until I get my own HD20, but you could use this to transfer your measurements. (verify before drilling)

Wow, thank you so much for the advice! The undershelf mount sounds like a definite possibility for my setup.

I'm so glad I found this forum...god bless these internets! lol

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
If you are going to do a DIY screen there are sections on the forum that detail both paint on screens or cheap materials (such as laminates). A DIY screen can look excellent. Since you would like to tie it to a wall you really need to get the projector to screen distance to see if it's workable. You will need to look at the shelf height, the offset and then take into account whether other equipment along that wall will still fit.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens /forum/post/17038318

If you are going to do a DIY screen there are sections on the forum that detail both paint on screens or cheap materials (such as laminates). A DIY screen can look excellent. Since you would like to tie it to a wall you really need to get the projector to screen distance to see if it's workable. You will need to look at the shelf height, the offset and then take into account whether other equipment along that wall will still fit.

Ok. Thanks for the info...I guess I didn't realize what I was getting myself into by buying a projector! I thought I could just throw it up on a shelf, paint a wall and plug it in.

I'm perfectly comfortable handling any of the technical issues, but when it comes to carpentry...I'm useless!

I'm starting to lean towards the ceiling mount at this point, but I'm going to see how I make out with the shelf first.

Thanks again to everyone. I'll try and post some pictures here once I get the job finished.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts