AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

I looked around and found no threads regarding projector or theater maintenance.

I know a lot of owners swap out units before issues develop, but some plug in the units, focus and forget. Then get pissed that it stopped working.

In the interest of a reminder that all moving parts need cleaning, lubing, I thought a thread like this would help.

It could also include the amps, processor's, sources, and speakers, but the powers that be might move this thread on us.

When using "dust off" to clean, do you open the case or just blow through the vents. Would the later not push the partials deeper into the unit?

I've never wiped my Len's, only used compressed air to clean.

Any other ideas.

·
Registered
8,441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gleave /forum/post/20837867

....In the interest of a reminder that all moving parts need cleaning, lubing....

Moving parts that you lub.
It's not a car and you sure can't lub a DLP chip .
I have owned projectors for over 10 years now and I'll all I have done was cleaned they filters and replaced the lamps.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by William /forum/post/20838008

Moving parts that you lub.
It's not a car and you sure can't lub a DLP chip .
I have owned projectors for over 10 years now and I'll all I have done was cleaned they filters and replaced the lamps.

A- lens slides have bearing. all projectors I know of have cooling fans.

I've had projectors since 1990's, and i'm telling you the will build up with dust, and shut down, or go into protection mode.

If this thread is a bad idea, it will disappear int the abyss of lost threads.

William, you are correct it is not maintenance incentive like a car. It is also not plug in, and forget till it stops.

I guess I had to much time on my hands.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Every projector is different.

Some have an almostly completely sealed light path with only a fan or two.

Others have lots of open areas and moving parts

I too have owned projectors for over 15 years and other than cleaning the filter and the fans of dust have never even had a fan fail on me.

I would be in the middle maintain what you can, but do not go looking for something to clean.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Well I have had a fair amount of issues:

JVC HD1 (which my friend now has) is over heating, he's cleaned it but still happening.

Sharp Z15000 where the color wheel got noisy, I ended up taking it apart and adjusting the housing around the color wheel and that quietened it down. Previously you could almost hear the pitch of the wheel change in accordance with the ambient temperature

Infocus IN83, which along with other models in that line are notorious for producing the wrong colors on either side of the picture or horizontal bars. Well, switched it on the other day and low and behold...

I managed to resolve it though, I was starting it up in a fairly cold air conditioned room. I noticed that when the room was warmer it started fine. So now I start in warm room and turn the AC on after a bit. Fingers crossed

I spend my working day trying to keep electronics working so I treat my living room like a server room (not always popular)

·
Registered
647 Posts
Digital projectors are not anything like film projectors, which need constant TLC to maintain functionality and performance ( which is also a big part of the fun of 'reel' film projection).

No, digital projectors are basically faceless plastic boxes, and about the only thing you need to do on a regular basis is vacuum the air filter. Start messing around inside and you will surely be sorry!

·
Premium Member
26,442 Posts
I love the idea, but I'm not sure if the application fits the need:

Has others have stated, projectors vary so much in their maintance requirements, plus the required maintance is limited....most of the model specific issues/maintance is covered in their owner's/master thread.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.