AVS Forum banner

11601 - 11620 of 19608 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Great way to put those together - thanks for posting that pic. In the new e-shift it doesn't just look sharper but also clearer. Like they took an eraser and cleared a layer of grim away. I have a Darbee and it does great to sharpen things, but in this case it looks a lot more in focus.
It looks good in that particular image, but I'm curious as to how much it will obscure fine shadow details in pristine BD content. You can clearly see how much thicker some of those black lines get in the e-Shift 4 image v/s the e-Shift 3 image (I presume that's the correct versions I'm quoting here, correct me if I'm wrong). Some will love it, some will hate it. Either way, I'm sure it will be content dependent. :)

·
Registered
13,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #11,602
looking at the other comparisons, I think it's going to be an overall improvement. we'd have to find out what settings Ekki was using in those photos.

e-shift 2 and 3 were pretty much the same. the big difference between 1 vs. 2 and 3 was the optical shift. We still never quite figured out what was happening here but it wasn't just the menus when I compared the 55 vs the 56/57.

i'll be curious to see what eshift 4 optical shift looks like vs. the previous versions. My guess is it's the same but the MPC processing is different now.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I've been testing out a 'PC on a stick' for a project at work. Earlier in the year, intel released an HDMI 'stick' that was a full windows PC capable device in a very small form factor. These are using a quad core Atom processor + 2GB ram + 32 GB storage + Intel HD graphics. It doesn't sound like much from the specs but in actual use, it's amazingly nimble and quick.
http://www.amazon.com/Quantum-Windows®-Baytrail-T-Quad-core-1-33GHz/dp/B00X4O6GRK/

My mind is blown. Thanks for this!

·
Banned
2,424 Posts
Yes, an aluminum substrate is generally used for the reflection layer, IIRC.

All ALR screens look better when directly compared to white screens with light in the screening room, in a YouTube video. :)

But once I receive a sample, that's when it reveals its true nature. 90% of them sparkle or shimmer too much for me to live with.

The SI Slate sparkles like crazy! Almost as much as the Black Diamond series. Apparently, the ISS crew didn't get to demo DNP Supernova or EPV DarkStar screens before making a decision. Or, maybe exposing the SI Slate to high levels of radiation in space made it impervious to sparkling and shimmering. :p
I had a sample of the SI Slate 1.2 here a while a go and I can confirm it sparkles like crazy, I would never consider the Slate 1.2.

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
http://www.projectorcentral.com/vivitek-h1186-projector-review.htm projectorcentral just posted this review on vivitek h1186

Thanks, I have been debating between this and the LG PF1500. The price of the Vivitek is appealing but the convenience of being able to turn the LG on and off like a TV is very compelling. Tired of buying a new Lamp for my X500 every 6 months because it becomes too dim.Plus I am starting to feel bad about abusing my JVC so much.lol

·
Registered
377 Posts
Thanks, I have been debating between this and the LG PF1500. The price of the Vivitek is appealing but the convenience of being able to turn the LG on and off like a TV is very compelling. Tired of buying a new Lamp for my X500 every 6 months because it becomes too dim.Plus I am starting to feel bad about abusing my JVC so much.lol
Np id think about buying this to replace my benqw7000 but im pretty sure it wont work in my setup

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
Np id think about buying this to replace my benqw7000 but im pretty sure it wont work in my setup

I had a Benqw7000, it was a nice projector.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Commodore SX-64 'Executive' - insane price in early 80's but it was considered one of the first color portable PC's. and the Compaq portable with the amber screen + 10 MB (Megabyte) hard drive. It still works and fires up DOS 2.1.

Nice. Do you have a Wordstar copy somewhere? :)

·
Registered
13,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #11,612
Nice. Do you have a Wordstar copy somewhere? :)
I'll have to look through my collection. I do have a working copy of Wordperfect 3.0 than runs on dos 2.x.. :)

That little pocket PC with a 64 GB micro installed looks like the perfect solution to the most minimalist of HTPC approaches. NICE! Have you experimented having it on an AVR and running constantly?
yes I have it plugged into one of the inputs on my Denon 4311 for testing. Some folks figured out how to get Media Center installed on Windows 10 so I'm going to experiment with it as a replacement extender vs. using my Xbox 360's. My main HTPC is running MCE 7 + a quad tuner ceton card.

For those interested, the ultra short throw LG PF1000U has been released. Newegg.com is selling it for MSRP $1399 but expect we'll see some discounts on it in a few weeks.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824025201

·
Registered
28,794 Posts
Has anyone seen the white SI Maestro acoustically transparent screen? Impressions?
Yes, if I recall, it has a little tighter weave than XD. Throws a nice image, but you do need to have 10' or more viewing distance.

·
Premium Member
1,911 Posts
I'll have to look through my collection. I do have a working copy of Wordperfect 3.0 than runs on dos 2.x.. :)

yes I have it plugged into one of the inputs on my Denon 4311 for testing. Some folks figured out how to get Media Center installed on Windows 10 so I'm going to experiment with it as a replacement extender vs. using my Xbox 360's. My main HTPC is running MCE 7 + a quad tuner ceton card.

For those interested, the ultra short throw LG PF1000U has been released. Newegg.com is selling it for MSRP $1399 but expect we'll see some discounts on it in a few weeks.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824025201

Jason, do you think it'll get below $1k anytime soon?

If so, I might pick one up for a mini screen shootout I want to do.

Would be interesting to see how a ST projector works compared to a JVC 6710 and Sharp XV-Z30k I have, with some different materials in a living room environment with different lighting conditions.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I had a sample of the SI Slate 1.2 here a while a go and I can confirm it sparkles like crazy, I would never consider the Slate 1.2.
What was your throwing distance? Was it >= 1.5 screen width as required for Slate material? I have not seen one but I would expect that when used properly it should work properly otherwise it's hard to see why people would buy "crazy sparkling" screens when there are plenty of cheaper alternatives.

·
Registered
13,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #11,616
Jason, do you think it'll get below $1k anytime soon?

If so, I might pick one up for a mini screen shootout I want to do.

Would be interesting to see how a ST projector works compared to a JVC 6710 and Sharp XV-Z30k I have, with some different materials in a living room environment with different lighting conditions.
my guess is we'll see it close to 1k near the holidays. A fellow member just bought one in the under 3k forum so we'll hear some feedback soon.

2015 is the year of the 3 projector setup. JVC for 2D BD, Sharp for 3D, LG LED for TV :D

·
Premium Member
1,911 Posts
my guess is we'll see it close to 1k near the holidays. A fellow member just bought one in the under 3k forum so we'll hear some feedback soon.
Well, going off the PF1500, it looks to be only ~$60 less than MSRP. :(

Hopefully the ST version won't follow suit in that pricing reduction for street and be much more!

2015 is the year of the 3 projector setup. JVC for 2D BD, Sharp for 3D, LG LED for TV :D
I got the JVC and Sharp. Now I just need the LG! :p

·
Banned
2,424 Posts
What was your throwing distance? Was it >= 1.5 screen width as required for Slate material? I have not seen one but I would expect that when used properly it should work properly otherwise it's hard to see why people would buy "crazy sparkling" screens when there are plenty of cheaper alternatives.
Throw distance does not affect the sparckle it affects hotspotting and with a 30" sample I can not judge if it had that.;)

Many people buy Black DIamond 1.4 and are very happy with it. I have tested a 120" with a throw distance of about 2.0 screen with and it had very much sparkle (same as Slate 1.2 or maybe more, but it is a couple of years since I saw it) and easily seen hotspotting, so your argument of you find it hard to see why people would buy "crazy sparkling" screens does not hold up.:)

A screen like the dnp Supernova 08-85 has a slight sparkle and you need to look for it to see it (I own a 100"), but it is only 0.8 gain so it is quite dim. I also have a 133" 2.35:1 SI Pure White 1.3 and it also has a slight sparkle you need to look for (and some other artifacts) so I am going to buy a Stewart Studiotek 100 next time and not buy a new screen for a long time after that. The sparkle in the Supernova and Pure White screens are not very noticeable and I can live with it, but on the BD 1.4 and Slate 1.2 I see it all the time and I could not live with it. Others might think it is minor and live with it.;)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Throw distance does not affect the sparckle it affects hotspotting and with a 30" sample I can not judge if it had that.;)

Many people buy Black DIamond 1.4 and are very happy with it. I have tested a 120" with a throw distance of about 2.0 screen with and it had very much sparkle (same as Slate 1.2 or maybe more, but it is a couple of years since I saw it) and easily seen hotspotting, so your argument of you find it hard to see why people would buy "crazy sparkling" screens does not hold up.:)

A screen like the dnp Supernova 08-85 has a slight sparkle and you need to look for it to see it (I own a 100"), but it is only 0.8 gain so it is quite dim. I also have a 133" 2.35:1 SI Pure White 1.3 and it also has a slight sparkle you need to look for (and some other artifacts) so I am going to buy a Stewart Studiotek 100 next time and not buy a new screen for a long time after that. The sparkle in the Supernova and Pure White screens are not very noticeable and I can live with it, but on the BD 1.4 and Slate 1.2 I see it all the time and I could not live with it. Others might think it is minor and live with it.;)
Thanks for detailed reply. I have no experience with projectors. I am in the process of buying one and I need to select a screen for a media room that is fully light controlled but has white ceiling and light walls. As I understand in this case I need some ambient light rejection and Slate seems like a reasonable option. SI Pure White and Stewart Studiotek 100 do not offer any ambient light resistance. So the sparkling and hot-spotting obviously is a trade-off one might have to make depending on the room characteristics. As you said DNP Supernova 08-85 is only 0.8 gain (I want something brighter) and the screen size is limited to 120" (I want closer to 130" for 2.35:1 screen). So, if one does not have a perfect room one does not get a perfect picture :(

·
Banned
10,827 Posts
Thanks for detailed reply. I have no experience with projectors. I am in the process of buying one and I need to select a screen for a media room that is fully light controlled but has white ceiling and light walls. As I understand in this case I need some ambient light rejection and Slate seems like a reasonable option. SI Pure White and Stewart Studiotek 100 do not offer any ambient light resistance. So the sparkling and hot-spotting obviously is a trade-off one might have to make depending on the room characteristics. As you said DNP Supernova 08-85 is only 0.8 gain (I want something brighter) and the screen size is limited to 120" (I want closer to 130" for 2.35:1 screen). So, if one does not have a perfect room one does not get a perfect picture :(
DNP does make a higher gain screen with far less sparkling than the SI Black Diamond materials. I honestly don't think people realize the difference in sparkle between BD materials and other ambient light rejecting screens. If it were still available I'd recommend the DaLite High Contrast High Power material. Much better than the BD materials as well. Hopefully DaLite will get this material back in stock.

11601 - 11620 of 19608 Posts