AVS Forum banner

11901 - 11920 of 19608 Posts

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
I have to agree with my fellow velvet lovers. The combination of a solid screen fully velvet room and my X500 still blows me away,until I see better it is the best image I have seen by a long shot. My only urge to upgrade comes from the usual just because, well maybe the increased brightness of the JVC units has something to do with it as well. lol But my point is the total sum of my room has created an image that consistently impresses me even a few years and 4000 plus hrs later.

·
Registered
13,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #11,902
that's great Mike, thank you! There is so much excitement for the new JVC's, they have clearly been hard at work for the last 2 years.

Rich, good to hear you are enjoying some of the recent 3D titles. if you get a chance, check out San Andreas 3D - very immersive the way they filmed the 3D (lots of POV, over the should shots for impact and depth).

Stanger89 - I know many here have relatively low gain screens, dim 3D vs. it's brighter 2D counterpart has been a topic for a while. I know you would get a kick out of my Sharp 3D DLP on the 2.8HP. It's quite bright even through the glasses. If the new JVC's are brighter in 3D, I think this will be a great benefit for many who may want to re-visit 3D a second time.

·
Registered
15,295 Posts
If I can get myself interested enough in the movie I might check out San Andreas, thanks. (I mostly gave up buying "demo-only" material quite a while ago, so I generally have to want to watch the content to buy it these days).

My calibrator did a higher gamma for my calibrated 3D setting (I think maybe 2.2 for 3D vs the 2.4 I use for 2D). But I find I tend to end up using my 2D calibration with the lower 2.4 gamma even for 3D. The brightness differences is minor, but the perception of image depth and deep black levels improves substantially. I understand that many 3D enthusiasts want the most cross-talk-free projection they can find, and that the JVCs don't provide that. But on the other hand the high native contrast of the JVCs I think is still beneficial in aiding the believably of 3D images as 2D images.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
If I can get myself interested enough in the movie I might check out San Andreas, thanks. (I mostly gave up buying "demo-only" material quite a while ago, so I generally have to want to watch the content to buy it these days).
San Andreas is worth the purchase alone to see the girl in it, Alexandra Daddario. She is eye candy. ;)

Mike

·
Banned
10,827 Posts
Zombie, I'm pretty excited for the new Samsung Gear VR to go on sale next month. I just got a Note 5 last month as my new phone. For $99 it should pair well with the relatively high resolution OLED screen on the phone. This will be the first VR unit that I'll have here. I did get to check out the Sony units a few years back, but those were only 720p. :eek:

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
Yes the conversation was about the newly announced JVC projectors. Since they are much brighter, you will be closing the iris down more and he will get higher contrast.

Say what you want, but my eyes did not lie to me. What I saw on a 14' wide screen looked very good. Also the JVC RS500/600 will do everything UHD BD will offer (except full resolution) over the next few years, while we wait for true 4K projectors prices to drop. If you are waiting until next year for that true 4K projector at 5k, then I am afraid you will be disappointed.
ah good your talking about the newly announced in which case, a book for me yet unopened :)

true 4k at 5k :D I like the sound of that, but yeah no pre conceptions thats going to happen. but what might happen is the minute you invest in one of these UHD fake 4K ones next year a true 4K one will come along...which will dig a bit deep in heart and mind ! :D

and very true re looks very good. my x35 does as it is ...and thats partly the conundrum I suspect many will face...give up on something that looks very good....for ....

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
that's great Mike, thank you! There is so much excitement for the new JVC's, they have clearly been hard at work for the last 2 years.

Rich, good to hear you are enjoying some of the recent 3D titles. if you get a chance, check out San Andreas 3D - very immersive the way they filmed the 3D (lots of POV, over the should shots for impact and depth).

Stanger89 - I know many here have relatively low gain screens, dim 3D vs. it's brighter 2D counterpart has been a topic for a while. I know you would get a kick out of my Sharp 3D DLP on the 2.8HP. It's quite bright even through the glasses. If the new JVC's are brighter in 3D, I think this will be a great benefit for many who may want to re-visit 3D a second time.

its good to hear they have been hard at work. will keep a look out for some feedback on how they stand up vs the previous beauties :)

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
ah good your talking about the newly announced in which case, a book for me yet unopened :)

true 4k at 5k :D I like the sound of that, but yeah no pre conceptions thats going to happen. but what might happen is the minute you invest in one of these UHD fake 4K ones next year a true 4K one will come along...which will dig a bit deep in heart and mind ! :D

and very true re looks very good. my x35 does as it is ...and thats partly the conundrum I suspect many will face...give up on something that looks very good....for ....
I'm fine with getting either the RS500 or RS600 with the added brightness, HDR support, P3 support, and of course UHD support as a true 4K JVC, when it debuts, is going to be much higher in cost so maybe I will have a few years until a laser 4k version is affordable as a replacement.

Mike

Reactions: alebonau

·
Registered
13,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #11,909
The good news here is that older projectors won't suddenly turn to dust. :)

we always want new improvements but the last few years have been remarkable for front projection. I still like going back and forth between the VW1100, RS46, Sharp 30K and the Planar 8170™. Each projector has it's own unique personality and specific qualities that make them stand out in their own way.

with that said, I cannot resist new projectors. it's an understandable weakness. :cool:

·
Registered
12,092 Posts
The video does a good job of showing how the Microlyte deals with ambient light. This is admirable, but my interest is whether or not it is an improvement in PQ in a light controlled room, e.g., an improvement on an HP screen, which is also high gain.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
The video does a good job of showing how the Microlyte deals with ambient light. This is admirable, but my interest is whether or not it is an improvement in PQ in a light controlled room, e.g., an improvement on an HP screen, which is also high gain.
If you go to the Microlite thread here at AVS, there is a user who has an HP screen and did comparisons - preferring the Microlite screens over the HP. The Microlite has better angles, better contrast, and less artifacts, according to the user.

Dave

·
Registered
12,092 Posts
If you go to the Microlite thread here at AVS, there is a user who has an HP screen and did comparisons - preferring the Microlite screens over the HP. The Microlite has better angles, better contrast, and less artifacts, according to the user.

Dave
Yes, I did see that and it was indeed a very interesting analysis.

·
Registered
15,295 Posts

·
Registered
13,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #11,915
Yes, I did see that and it was indeed a very interesting analysis.
Do you recall if it was a 2.4 or a 2.8 they were comparing it to? My 142" 16:9 2.8HP is still in mint condition and will probably keep it while longer until I'm done with 3D (which won't be anytime soon.. :))

It's good to see there is an alternative though since it seems relatively certain Dalite is done with the HP screens.

I've been interested in reading about the progress for these ambient light screens. I would definitely like to try this out for some of my rooms.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/434-voxel-worx/2135210-more-dark-energy-abyss-photos.html

·
Registered
12,092 Posts
Do you recall if it was a 2.4 or a 2.8 they were comparing it to? My 142" 16:9 2.8HP is still in mint condition and will probably keep it while longer until I'm done with 3D (which won't be anytime soon.. :))

It's good to see there is an alternative though since it seems relatively certain Dalite is done with the HP screens.
I'm pretty sure it was the HP2.4 that he compared the Microlite to. This is the screen I now have (had a HP2.8 earlier but wanted a larger one, and only 2.4 was available at that time). I like my HP2.4 very much; I think it provides an even smoother pic than the 2.8 (which I also liked). However, like you, I'm interested if there is another high gain screen that is even better.

·
Registered
28,794 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
I've been interested in reading about the progress for these ambient light screens.
If you get one of these I would love to hear about the technical details.

The images are impressive, but sometimes with the details we can figure out where things will work well and where they won't. For instance, it is easy for a person to say that the white level doesn't change much, while a camera is crushing the detail and making it hard to figure out what the true gain is.

As I see it screens can differentiate light based on wavelength or on the angle it is hitting the screen from. If any of these are differentiating based on wavelength that would be interesting to know, but I doubt that is much of what is going on with the DIY screens now.

I had some issues in the past where MM would claim his screen increased on/off CR, without providing any details. After probing some more this was increasing on/off CR in the same way the color filters were for projectors that were weak in red, so didn't apply to projectors that had good color balance naturally (like the JVCs have had for a while with new bulbs) and could actually decrease calibrated on/off CR for some projectors.

If the main ambient light rejection property is low gain for all angles that is good to know as well as it may work well with some projectors and not others.

If it is differentiating by angle that is good to know too as it could work very well in situations where most of the ambient light is coming from a different direction than the projector (like lights above the screen), but a person could be pretty disappointed if they have a window behind the projector and expect the screen to somehow reject the ambient light while still providing reasonable gain to the projected light.

--Darin

11901 - 11920 of 19608 Posts