AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've recently come upon the idea of getting a cheap projector off eBay or whatever and building an HTPC rig to drive it. However, I'm rather new to all this, and it seems a bit daunting. I've got some questions about what I should look for in a cheap projector, that I'll be using almost exclusively for DVD watching (though a bit of TV and computer gaming on the side wouldn't go amiss, I think).

First of all, is there a FAQ available detailing the merits/drawbacks of the various front projection TLA's (i.e. DLP, CRT, LCD, etc.)? For instance, I've heard DLP is the best combination of price, picture quality, and portability, but I've also heard there's a strange 'rainbow effect'...

What sort of resolution should be a minimum for ideal DVD watching? I'm thinking 800x600? Though I live in Britain and most of my DVD's are PAL (625 line horiz. resolution) so maybe I need more?

And does it matter if it's 4:3 or 16:9? I mean, if I'm outputting the computer image (probably from a Radeon All-In-Wonder) to the screen, presumably it'll output the 16:9 anamorphic image correctly, as it does on the computer monitor?

And what about brightness? What sort of lumen range should I look for?

Oh, and screens? How much do I need to spend on the screen to get a decent one?

I love the thought of having a 6-foot movie screen in my room, and top quality movies, but there are a few things I need to know about first. That's where y'all come in! =) Any ideas, tips, suggestions appreciated. Thanks for your patience. Cheers,

Dunc

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Dunc,

I don't believe there is a single FAQ that will acquaint

you with all the merits and drawbacks of FPs - the best

thing to do is read this forum for a while.

LCD projectors are low priced, but suffer from "screen door"

effect.

DLP projectors - if they are 1 chip designs have a problem

of "rainbow effect" for many people. The 3 chip models will

not have this problem - but they are much more expensive.

As far as resolution - what is your budget and how big a

screen do you want. The bigger the screen - the more

resolution you need or you will see pixels.

Both 4:3 and 16:9 projectors can display 16:9 images - but

the 4:3 projector will letterbox them - i.e. a goodly

fraction of your pixels are outputting black - so the

effective resolution is reduced. A 4:3 projector can be

effectively converted to 16:9 by an anamorphic lens - like

Panamorph and ISCO - but that costs $$$.

As far as brightness - how big will the screen be? The

larger the screen the more lumens you need from the PJ.

As far as screens - again how big? Bigger screens cost

more. Higher quality costs more...

In addition, to reading this forum - try to find a

home theater store and look at these things for yourself.

Greg

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
There are a lot of good projectors out there for not a lot of money. First off, you won't likely find a 16:9 format projector for a small price. These really have just started coming out in the last few years. You might possibly find something like a used Sony 400Q, which is a 16:9 LCD. 800x600 is a good starting resolution to go with and there should be plenty out there. Keep in mind that higher native panel resolution does not necessarily mean a better picture. Light output (lumens) necessity is going to depend a lot on what screen size you want. If you want an 8' wide screen or larger, you will probably want to look for something with at least 800+ lumens. Smaller screens don't require as much. The rainbow effect is something you need to find out for youtself. I would encourage you to preview a DLP projector before you buy to see if you notice it. Screens can be had for a small fraction of the projector, or they can cost much more, depending on the company you go with. Basic Dalite Model B pulldown screens are very inexpensively priced. Hope that helps some. Feel free to email me if you have any specific questions.

Thanks!

------------------

Jason Turk

AV Science, Inc.
http://www.avscience.com

716-454-1460 ext.204

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Since you were talking "lines of resolution" I thoguht that only 576 of those 625 lines from PAL sources are viewable. So an 800x600 machine should display all the lines with minimal scaling. But even this does not matter. These 1024x768 projectors cannot resolve every line of a 720P signal, yet they look stunning with a high def 720P source. Numbers are not everything. You need to see some machines to make a judgement.

·
Registered
99 Posts
As a sony w400q user, i can say that you can get this unit cheep....IF you can find it. it gives a stuning picture, with high res. and no Screendor, the internal doubler is also ok........I think the unit is at about 1300-1800$ depending on age and hr.count..... some even like this unit better then the new sony.

Nicolas

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.