AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on adding a projector (probably LCD/DLP) to my living room but I have a vaulted ceiling (15' at the peak, 10' at the side walls). The PJ would mount in the center of the room, from the peak. I plan on building an enclosure for the PJ, but I want it to retract up to/descend from the enclosure on the ceiling. I figure the PJ needs to drop to about 8' off the floor (about 6' from the ceiling).

Does anyone have any recommendations for how to mount the PJ this way? I'm currently looking at a set of custom telescoping tubes, but I'm concerned with horizontal stability/movement. I'd rather not have the picture sway when someone walks around the room.

Has anyone done this? How? Any ideas? Pictures?

Thanks for any help.

-Tab

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
I would look into 2 or 3 inch galvanized water pipe. Use a flange to secure to the ceiling and another one to a plywood plate for the projector. better yet, get a piece of 1/2in aluminum cut for this at a metal supply house.

Now this may seem tacky, but you have many options to cover or paint it. The goos thig is these parts are very commen and cheap.

Another trick is to put aa TEE fitting at the top and couple that to the ceiling flange with a nipple. This now allows for cables to run down inside the pipe. Or you could drill a hole through the ceiling plate and run the cables out of the flange into the attic or joist space.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the link to SVS. I've looked over their products and sent mail asking for prices of the Mini 4-6 and Mini 7-6. I'm still waiting for a quote on the telescoping tubes.

Does anyone actually own or use any of the SVS lifts? How are they?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I just got mail back from SVS:

They want $4,600 US for the Mini 4-6 and $5,500 for the Mini 7-6!

That costs more than the projector! Since I'm a do-it myself kind of guy, I could build a complete, dedicated theatre room for that kind of money. When I get done reeling, I'll be willing to entertain some other ideas for my project.

I'm working on designing my own lift fo now.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
frdfsnlght, If you have access to a machine shop, or have any friends that can help in that matter, I would think you could make your own lift. Using the basic design that SVS uses, is probably the most stable, with the dual scissors, and connected at various points for stability with the drive unit turning a tube that the cable wraps around. Definatly a "do-able" project for a DIY'er that is handy in the machine shop. I would reccomend that if you do scissors though, make sure that the distances from hole to hole are kept very close in tolerance since a little here and a little there, will make a lot below. The unit would want to twist pretty easilly if all the long arms are on one side.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for tips SVonhof.

I've had similar visions of building a lift myself. I'm looking at SVS's downloadable AutoCAD files as well as a 'modified' scissor design (I won't get into what that means). I also had the idea of a garage door opener for parts. I think I might have an old one around, actually.

While I don't have access to a machine shop, I have a pretty complete wood shop, including a drill press (and other tools that are just as happy eating metal as wood). I've made my own speaker brackets out of aluminum stock and I was figuring a scissor assembly wouldn't be too difficult (given accurate measurement and drilling).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.