AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of ceiling mounting a projector but the best spot is abuot 4" from an exposed hot water pipe. The room itself is pretty cold but the pipe puts out a decent bit of heat in the winter (it's part of the heating system for the house so it is cold other times of the year).

The pipe is very warm to the touch, but not so hot that it would burn you or that you couldn't hold onto it for a while.

Will placing the projector this close to the pipe cause overheating issues? Would simply putting some foam insulating wrap on the pipe be sufficient to reduce any concern?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
The amount of heat generated by a hot water pipe is insignificant compared to the heat the projector lamp produces. In my opinion, it is not a concern, unless the pipe bursts and sprays the projector. If it makes you feel better, go ahead and wrap the pipe. But I don't see it being a problem.

·
Registered
5,672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukenilnil /forum/post/18254247

Will placing the projector this close to the pipe cause overheating issues? Would simply putting some foam insulating wrap on the pipe be sufficient to reduce any concern?

Owners manuals make it very clear that locating the PJ close to any heat source is to be avoided. I certainly would not want my PJ to ingest pre heated air. Thermal protection shutdowns are a common issue when located near a heat source that allows hot air to enter the PJ.

There is also a good chance, depending on relative positions, it could produce a visible haze on areas of flat color if warm/thermally disturbed air is able to pass in front of your lens. To test for this, have your pipe running hot and call up a solid white screen. Any haze will look like a smoky effect on the screen.

The worst position is for the heat source to be below the PJ, as that can give the worst of both issues.

For the sake of a few cents, I would certainly insulate that pipe.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I agree with Sheridan - I wouldn't worry about it...UNLESS the air intake is on the same side as the hot water pipe. If it is, I'd insulate it just to be sure. I still doubt you'd have any problems, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I would get Silver-Coated (Or coat your own with Silver foil tape from the ductwork department) THICK foam and cover the entire pipe. that should prevent any issues at all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts