AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up guys?! I just joined your great site and this is my first post. I'm a first time projector shopper/buyer. I am ready to spend up to $4,000 on a projector. I think I want to go with DLP technology, specifically the darkchip3. I've been researching this for quite some time and the screen shots i've seen from some of these pj's just blow me away. I'm not sure if i'm effected by DLP but I will go to some home theater stores to check before I buy(i've never noticed rainbows on any bigscreen tv's with the technology). I just need help to get something straight. I really really really want an optoma h79, but it's out of my budget. I've seen reviews of the h77 and I know it kicks ass. I also heard there was problems with the h77 and you had to send it in to get upgraded. Now, I want darkchip3 so i'm looking at h78, but i'm concerned about lumens( I would like a pj I could use for some sporting events with some lights on, but will be mainly used for gaming and movies). I've read that the 78 is actually and upgraded 77, but is also a 79 with the rejected handpicked parts. Is this accurate and if so, then why the difference in lumens? Could you put a brighter(79) bulb in a 78? Or, is the 77(freshly upgraded of course) the right pj for me, or any of these? I will also be playing alot of games on the new Xbox360 which has a selectable output of 720p or 1080i, and I really want that to look as good as possible(within my budget). Please help my little newbie addicted projector brain before my computer sucks my soul from my body from all the countless hours of research. Thank you

P.S. Do you think the H79 will drop in price over the next three months before the release of the Xbox360? Also, do you think it is a good idea to buy a used pj from someone on this site?

·
Registered
358 Posts
I don't know much about dlp but what ever projector you are going to buy make sure it has HDMI hdcp input for the upcoming high def blueray.

·
Registered
169 Posts
DigitalC I'm in a very similar boat in deciding between the H77,78, and 79. I'm waiting untill at least after the CEDIA show Sept 7-11 for two reasons. One depending on what's announced. I may wait for it. Say if Sony comes out with and SXRD at $5k I'd go for that as I'm sure alot of people would (I figure if I wish hard enough anything can happen) Second depending on what's announced at the show the price of the H79 might take another plunge to stay competitive. The H79 is really the one I want as well. I'd really like the DC3, the higher lumens, and the better scallar. I've seen the H79 for about $4500 at it's lowest so I'm hopping it will drop a bit more to make me feel better about getting it since I've started sinking money into HT peripherals. like a Pronto 7000 remote, new AC/DC/AC ups to replace my dead one, new Center channel speaker, Cables which are gong to have to be pretty long to my speakers. On the other hand if the price on the H77 drops further it will just be such a rediculs deal that I might just pick one up and start saving for the 1080p projector of my dreams which should be much cheaper as time goes by. Bottom line is to me, and my coworker who's planning on getting an H79 for herself, it's just to close to CEDIA to buy one right now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.