AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just and inquiry of what projector and screen i s currently of choice amongst home theatre people? I'm looking for a 16:9 proj and screen. Currently have a 42" toshiba rp but looking to upgrade to a proj. what do you guys have to say about the issue? any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!!

·
Registered
318 Posts
i'm sure the first 3 questions most are going to ask is

1) How big of a screen do you want

2) What aspect ratio

3) How much coinage are you gonna drop

give us some particulars and the screen gods might be able to help. Although I do believe that this a thread more suited for the screens section........... let's just see how long this floats.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Sorry, I thought that this was a screen question. my bad.

what's your budget for the whole shabang then? and have you considered the costs of cabling and mounting if you decide to go that route?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im looking at a modest screen size , nothing to big, but more substantial then 42". 6'-7' X 4' i suspect. 16x9 aspect ratio. Forgive me if i dont know that much about them

·
Registered
318 Posts
I would deffinitely consider holding out for the Sony HS20 then........ i'm not a fan of LCD's but they look promising. i'm sure others will have other opinions

·
Registered
713 Posts
Machace23'

Welcome to the out of the box area. Strange folks who by many different

reasons are some what ahead of the curve.

You didn't answer the $$$$ question.

It doesn't matter what we like ,,,,, you need to go see some projectors and

find out what you like . Then post what you liked or thought.

Many new projectors are soon to appear.

What you might find surprising is how reasonable many 16 x 9 PJs are.

Stay in touch.

Allan

·
Registered
713 Posts
Mackace23

Go see what the HS10 looks like. I saw three of them at three diff. stores yesterday. The HS20 will supersede the HS10.

Allan

p.s.

You answered the $$$$ question while I was typing.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
For $5K you're within spitting range of some of the HD2 DLP machines. The InFocus 7200 and BenQ 8700 are streeting for under $6K. There are some well recieved Matterhorn DLP based machines on the market from Sharp and InFocus that are within your price range (although currently still too high for my tastes given the HD2 machines are under $6K).

The HS20 has MLA and better CR than the HS10. All in all its expected to be a nice improvement over the HS10. Likewise the Z2 and AE500 is reported to be much improved over the Z1 and AE300.

There's not much going on in the under $3K DLP market this year from what I've seen. The Matterhorns are still above this number as is the HT1000. The LT240K/LT260Ks are here but not significantly improved over their LT240/LT260 predecessors (brighter which is nice).

My recommendation is to hit ProjectorCentral to get an overview of the current projectors and come back here to hunt for threads that talk about the projectors.

Personally, I'd look at the Z2 (when available) or M20X for a first projector (both under $2K). Just having a 96" wide screen (a good breakpoint) is worth so much wow factor that the limitations of these units probably wont be an issue until bulb replacement time. The M20X is a XGA presentation projector with some faults but is bright enough to throw a 96" image. The X1, also another nice budget DLP probably isn't quite hefty enough for 96" but also a good option for a starter projector. There is a Dell projector as well that is close or under $2K.

This should leave you $3K to catch either the next DLP cycle (probably late '04 before we see any upgrades in the under $3K market) or LCD cycle.

Given that both the LCD and DLP markets have been improving rapidly the last three years I don't see the incentive to go much above $2500. In a mere two-three years we've seen $12K performance appear at the under $3K level.

Whether this rate of change will continue remains to be seen but so far 2003/2004 hasn't been a dissapointment...I'm looking forward to seeing the Z2 and HS20.

Nigel

Disclaimer: I own a M20X. There are significant faults/limitations with this projector as there are with all under $2K projectors. The LT260 and LT240K may be better choices depending on the pricing in your area. All three are roughly equivalent though the NECs are typically better but also higher prices. You may wish to search the forum regarding Rainbows and Screendoor.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
One thing to consider is the reliability track record of the hs10. I can't say that the hs20 will inherit this track record but its a factor you should at least look at in considering that unit. I have an hs10 and will not be upgrading to a sony product this time around. burn me once...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.