AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you can see by the title, I have my first projector coming...the Epson Home Cinema 6100. I am stoked to be finally getting into the projection game. Now I need assistance in getting a good screen to finish of the system.

I have attached the layout of my room. Not a true dedicated room, but trying to make it as good as I can. The walls and ceiling are currently an off-white, but I will be painting the walls (probably not the ceiling) a darker color in the near future. The lone window has wood blinds and I will be getting some drapes to block out any remaining ambient light. Projector will mounted at the back of the room with ~14' throw with a ~12' viewing distance. I am thinking ~100' 16:9 screen.

I will be using the room for primarily movies and gaming with the occasional HD sporting events. At times, I will have the lights on at a low setting.

The screen that I am considering is the Carada Criterion in Brilliant White. I am open to suggestions as I am fairly new to projection screens. I would also take suggestions on good colors to paint the walls.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm assuming your projector will be placed behind the sofa? Man, your room is a very tight squeeze for a good home theatre room. If I were you, I'd simply get black blinds/drapes to cover the window and switch the projector to show from ceiling over 'hallway to stairs' area to opposite corner and get a nice sectional sleeper sofa (sleeper on one side with dual recliners/massagers on the other) to triangulate the room. Your 100" screen would only protrude out between 3-4ft from each 15 foot wall which should easily still give you a 17-18' throw distance with 14 foot viewing distance which is more optimal. Combine that with a vent free fireplace on 14'9" wall and a beautiful entertainment system on window wall then you'd be all set.

It's hard to imagine the overall dimensions properly without a few photograhs to see it all but I tried.

I own an Epson 720p while brother has 1080UB so know your projector's full potential. Carada makes a great 100" screen for $600 but I went with an Accuscreen 119" for $100 with a Valspar 120" Ultra White Satin painted wall behind it just for my guests to favor (some favor the accuscreen while others favor the wall depending on the movie or sports).....Art Frierman(hope I spelled that right) of ProjectorReviews.com says there is a very slight brightness and more accurate color from Carada Brilliant White over Elite (elite matte white screens and accuscreens are exactly the same) Matte White and I agree as don't think it's worth $500 more since I have personally seen both screens at a nearby home theatre shop too. Unless you have them both side to side then NOBODY will ever know and you WILL get a great picture!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Using the pro calculator, my setup shows 30fL with a gain of 1.4 and down to 21 fL with 1.0 gain. Will the Brilliant White be too bright for my setup? Should I go with Classic Cinema instead?

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I would not. You will want to operate the Epson on low lamp to reduce fan noise and extend lamp life. Also, the true gain of the BW is about 1.1, according to members who have compared it to other screens. Further, it is wise to leave a little wiggle room for when the lamp ages.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well then, the question needs to be asked...what lamp mode does the calculator pro assume? Is it the brightest? Lowest? Somewhere in the middle?

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Good question. I don't know. You might ask the folks who provide the service.

Just remember, if you think your setup is too bright, you can always add an ND filter. If too dim, you're sunk!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well the projector is up! I have been messing with image size and am contemplating going up to 110" from the 100" I originally thought. With my seating distance (~12'), is this too big? Any picture is big and takes getting used to from the 50" plasma.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Anyone? From your experience, would 110" at 12' be too big? I have been watching for a little bit, and no issues noted yet. The screen size calculator shows that it would be slightly larger than the THX recommended viewing angle.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
It's a personal preference thing. It also depends somewhat on what you watch. If you watch mostly 'scope movies on Blu-ray, then 110" at 12 ft. is not too big at all. If you watch mostly DVDs, the lack of resolution will be more pronounced on 110" than on 100". I watch a mix of things on my 100" at 12.5 ft., and it seems about right to me. YMMV.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts