AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. Factors beyond my control (children, house, wife) mean I need to put my 116 inch fixed projector screen on wheels, so it can be stowed against a wall then wheeled back out. Which I'll probably do every night.

Has anyone put a fixed screen on wheels/some kind of trolley before? It's only a short term fix - maybe a year - until I get the money to build a new wall.

Apologies if this has been done in a threat elsewhere, I couldn't find it with the search function. And every time I look through the forums I get really distracted...

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,741 Posts
I would suggest instead a "Hook and Eye" type install, with Hooks installed at both locations.

Proper placement of the screen in respect to the PJ location (...if the PJ location is fixed...) will be difficult at best, and any Rolling Framework that can accommodate a Screen of that size, hold it in place perpendicular to the center line of the PJ Lens (...parallel to the Lens Face...) is going to be both heavy and cumbersome. To be supportive, the rolling base will have to be "deep" enough to support the forward leaning sheer of the screen, while the rear base will have to be heavy enough to counter balance the Forward tendency toward tilt.

And you say this is to be a every night kinda thing?

It would seem more logical to construct a fixed Base Caddy with supporting uprights, and use small but adequately weighted Sand bags to keep the uprights steady. You would still use the "Hook & Eye" system, where you could take the screen down, set it aside, move the much lighter uprights to the storage area, then replace the screen on the Caddy structure.

Keep it simple, lightweight, and inexpensive.

Don't have time at the moment to provide a working drawing....but if you need that sort of suggestion, just say so and it will be forthcoming.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that. You've put a lot of thought into it - I'll get a carpenter friend to have a look at your suggestion to implement - sounds sensible.

My other idea was to ceiling mount it in and pull down the fixed screen from the room, but I'm a bit concerned about my screen sagging, so the above sounds more the ticket.

Cheers
Michael

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Instructions simple enough that even I could (probably) do it. When are you next in London?

Cheers and thanks
Michael

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,741 Posts
Instructions simple enough that even I could (probably) do it. When are you next in London?

Cheers and thanks
Michael
Just as soon as someone needs another Big-Arse Screen!

I have a few 140"er Light Fusions (Mirror-based) sprinkled around in Clubhouses for Soccer and Rugby Clubs in London, and a 200" Fiberglas 3D Screen in Belfast in a big Public House. (...that would be a "Pub" for short for the Yanks... ;) )

I do pass through Gatwick when I am in route to Amsterdam on occasion, and I just might be heading to Germany in Mid- August for the Worlds Splash Diving Championship.
...I would be the only US Entry invited...if I can attend. And if I do, I will humble them. Deeply. :cool:

Yeah...I said that.....:D

Until then............ "Mind The Gap".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts