AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
its either a projector or dlp,lcd,or plasma, but which is for me? I need something that will be used to watch tv/hdtv, dvd and be able to play video games with no problems. Light control will not be an issue. The room is 16x14x8. The budget is $3000 but don't mind going for more if I have to, max $4000. Is a projector ideally used for one source such as movies or can it be used for everything else without the worry of replacing the bulb often since it will be used for everything.

With 1080p already on the market should one wait for price drops and future sets? How long should I wait?

Any recommendations of within my budget? Which set type would be most universal for everything I want?

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
You could get any of those technologies for that price but the screen size will be significantly different. You need to input more important factors like size and what sources you will be watching. Otherwise plasma would win hands down for picture quality but you won't be able to afford a large size with that budget.

·
Registered
15,822 Posts
Each technology has its own set of pros and cons. There is no way anybody can tell you which is best for you. You need to spend some time reading about them and looking at them to decide which is best for you.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'm also looking at lcd rptv and plasma. I'm looking at mainly 42 and 50a10's, philips 9630a plasma, and the panasonic px50u plasma. What does a lcd rptv picture look like after 1,000, 2,000, and 3,000 hours on a bulb? If the bulb last that long. Does the picture degrade to 50% at 3,000 hours or whatever the lifespan is or does the bulb just go with in a hundred hours of it burning out? In some ways I like the picture of lcd rptv's over plasma's and vice versa so I'm down to this last question mainly.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
I don't know if anybody can answer that question. I don't know if anybody's owned one of the newer lcdrp or plasmas long enough to notice. It really depends on what set you have that will determine how the picture will look after a certain amount of time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.