AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am converting a 11x14 bed room to a dedicated theater room. My original plan was a 65vt50 plasma but a projector interests me as well. The display will be on the 11' wall. Is this a large enought area for a projector? I wanted two rows of seats but it's looking like that may be a little tight . ..they would definitely have to be the slim version of theater seating. Cost wise, I know a projector and screen would be more. I realize the experience of the two are completly diferent too, this is why I was considering a projector, but I'm not sure it's the appropiate display for a space this size? Not sure how to go...

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
There's no way to have 2 rows of seats in that small room. Otherwise, the room size is fine for a projector. Screen size is determined by your seating distance from screen, which is what?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
10' or 12', it would depend on how far out from the back wall the seats were placed. I know the rear surrounds should be behind you and I would need room for the seat backs to recline too. Should have enough room for both. As for screen size, I believe I read 1' or so space on either side of the screen, I would need a little more for speaker clearance. I've seen the formulas for calculating seating distance too, I need to do more than scan all this info as it looks like a projector would work for me. I'll start looking in the projector section to see what brands look good. I'd like to do a projector and screen for 5K , could vary if needed.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
The room is good for a couch, or a single row of 3 recliners. Many of the dedicated HT recliners have a "wallaway" feature that scoots the whole chair forward when reclining, so you don't need additional clearance in the back.

Sounds like a screen in the 100-110" range is about right, and the distance calculator would say anything over 10' back. I agree that a second row is not practical. $5k is a very generous budget for a projector and screen. The entry level Epsons and Mitsubishis can be had in the low $1k range. $2k will get you step up projectors. The vinyl fixed screens can be had from Elite, Visual Apex of Jamestown anywhere from $250-500 in this size. Could be even cheaper if you go the DIY route. $2500-3k should put you in business, leaving more for audio. Don't scrimp on audio, as it is just as important as the picture.

I wouldn't bother with 7.1 in an 11x14 room. You just won't hear the difference and there is very little true 7.1 material out there anyway. I would put the money into improving the speakers in a 5.1 setup.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I already have some of my gear. I am moving it from my great room. Speakers are Def Tech. Mains bp2000 powered with subs, center 3000 powered as well and the rears are bpvx. They are close to 10 years old and still sound great. I have an oulaw 5 channel 200w amp. I will be purchasing a Marantz av7005 and an Oppo bdp-93 player. I think I have decided on everything but the display. So which display would most choose? I want something comparable to the plasma in terms of picture quality thats why I might be alittle high on the budget. I know it's more of a personal prefernce but will the extra work of mounting the projector and running all the cabeling be worth it vs slapping a plasma on the wall and call it good?

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I have both in my house, and they get used differently. The plasma is a nice TV, set in a family room where it competes for attention with reading, homework, meals, etc.

The projector OTOH is in a dedicated home theater space. The room is totally dark when in use and we are in there to watch a movie. Walls and ceiling are painted a dark color, the projector is shelf mounted on the rear wall. I recommend that as a lower hassle method of mounting, and distance should be perfect for that. My rack is also on the rear wall, so everything connects nicely.

Sound is not an issue as I have nearly identical systems in both rooms. Full range Klipsch, Velodyne subs, similar Onkyo 806 receivers, BluRay in both places. The basement has the better BluRay player, but the family room has the roku box. Different rooms, different needs.

·
Registered
6,894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davey r  /t/1415013/projector-or-plasma#post_22121275

I already have some of my gear. I am moving it from my great room. Speakers are Def Tech. Mains bp2000 powered with subs, center 3000 powered as well and the rears are bpvx. They are close to 10 years old and still sound great. I have an oulaw 5 channel 200w amp. I will be purchasing a Marantz av7005 and an Oppo bdp-93 player. I think I have decided on everything but the display. So which display would most choose? I want something comparable to the plasma in terms of picture quality thats why I might be alittle high on the budget. I know it's more of a personal prefernce but will the extra work of mounting the projector and running all the cabeling be worth it vs slapping a plasma on the wall and call it good?

It definitely will be worth it. A room with a TV in it is just that: A room with a TV in it. The projector depends on a few things. A screen size of 106" to 110" diagonal is about right.

1) Ceiling mount or rear shelf?

2) DLP or LCD?

3) Throw distance(lens to screen)?

4) Do you care if it's 3d or not?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1. don't know, what would be the advantages/disadvantages to either way. I'm working with a blank room so I could do either. Ascetically I think the shelf would be a better choice. I would like to build a soffit around the perimeter of the ceiling anyway.

2. From what research I've done I see there are advantages to both but haven't really decided on which one would be best. What are your thoughts?

3. The max would be 12' or 13' as the room is only 14" long and 11" wide.

4. Not so much, but 3d does sound neat, I wouldn't want to sacrifice any 2d content just to get the 3d though.

Also with the diag. dimension you gave, how does that work out to actual size? Thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davey r  /t/1415013/projector-or-plasma#post_22123828

Also with the diag. dimension you gave, how does that work out to actual size? Thanks for the help

A screen has an aspect ratio of 16:9, unless you go widescreen. That makes little sense in a width limited room like yours, so assume 16:9 screen at 110"

Simple triangle with pythagorian thoerem says dimensions are 16W x 9H x 18.35 diagonal.

110/18.35 = 5.99 (use this as a multiplier for w and H

16W * 5.99 = 95.87" wide = 7.99 ft

9H *5.99 = 53.93" high = 4'5.92"high

1 - 9 of 9 Posts