AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am nearing the final phase of my basement construction project Large Great room style with Tv viewing area flanked by a bar on one side and game room on the other. Up until this point I had been planning on an 85" LCD display. Recently i've received some advice that I am missing out on the potential of the space by overlooking projection.

My intended uses for the basement are a fairly even mix of daytime/ nighttime viewing. Lights dim or off for movies and surrounding lights on for parties and watching the game with people over. The lighting is zoned as such with dimmers everywhere.

The 9' ceiling side will have navy walls, ceiling, and trim. The other side is just under 8" and will have a white ceiling, navy walls and trim. The bar area will have a 55" display built into the upper cabinets. and the far end will house some pin ball, pop shot, air hockey etc.

I have very minimal experience being around projectors. One bachelor pad with crappy equipment and a showroom type home theater store. What is a reasonable expectation for a watching a basketball/ football game with with partial lights on? Say... like a superbowl party with kids running around, adults moving from bar to big screen etc.

I didn't want a theater room, and that's why i went open concept fully understanding the space wouldn't perform perfectly.

How would a projector/ 120" screen in the 5k budget perform against say a 85" 950g
-120 is about the max i could go.
- The projector can be 16/17' from screen.
I already have the avr and sound setup either way. 5.1.2

Attachments

·
Registered
13,451 Posts
My intended uses for the basement are a fairly even mix of daytime/ nighttime viewing. Lights dim or off for movies and surrounding lights on for parties and watching the game with people over. The lighting is zoned as such with dimmers everywhere.

The 9' ceiling side will have navy walls, ceiling, and trim. The other side is just under 8" and will have a white ceiling, navy walls and trim. The bar area will have a 55" display built into the upper cabinets. and the far end will house some pin ball, pop shot, air hockey etc.
Hi, you can definitely make a projector work in that setup as long as you are willing to put light treatments on that massive wall of windows. :)

One option is a high brightness DLP laser projector + an ALR (abient light rejecting) screen. I have a dedicated HT room with a JVC and a media room with mixed viewing, mostly with ambient light that I use the Viewsonic laser projector. These are rated at 5000 lumens (~3500 calibrated) which is a nice amount of light when the room isn't dark. These use a laser vs a bulb and can last up to 30,000 hours so it can be used more like a TV vs worrying about replacing lamps.

if you can fit a 120" screen, it's going to look noticeably larger than the 85" TV. here is the scaled reference:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, you can definitely make a projector work in that setup as long as you are willing to put light treatments on that massive wall of windows. :)

One option is a high brightness DLP laser projector + an ALR (abient light rejecting) screen. I have a dedicated HT room with a JVC and a media room with mixed viewing, mostly with ambient light that I use the Viewsonic laser projector. These are rated at 5000 lumens (~3500 calibrated) which is a nice amount of light when the room isn't dark. These use a laser vs a bulb and can last up to 30,000 hours so it can be used more like a TV vs worrying about replacing lamps.

if you can fit a 120" screen, it's going to look noticeably larger than the 85" TV. here is the scaled reference:
Yes, immersion is why i'm excited about the option. Contrast/ washed out picture with partial lighting is what I'm concerned with. I understand its gonna be a trade off.. but how big.

Anybody have any shots of under $5k projection in a party setting with partial lighting?

·
Registered
170 Posts
If you control the lighting with blinds etc or watch mostly at night then BenQ ht3550 for $1500 is a great 4K projector. If you are gonna let in more light, you want a brighter projector like the BenQ TK850 4K projector. You give up some color and contrast going with brighter projector and not controlling the light, but that may be acceptable to you since you aren’t looking to make it theater-like.

Darker walls/ceiling/carpet will also help the picture, but may not be doable in the space you are going for.

Definitely get a fixed screen with velvet border if you have a wall to mount it on, as it will look a lot better. You can get a Silver Ticket one which has aluminum frame and wrapped in good velvet for a good price on amazon or you can spend more for a nicer one, but that shouldn’t be necessary. There are some screens that are ambient light rejecting tho which may help your situation if you don’t want to control the lighting.

In terms of doing it, definitely. Watching the game or movies or whatever on a projector screen is >>>> on a television.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yeah if you want to spend more than a laser projector would be great.

Your screen size will be limited by ceiling height. But you could go bigger than 120” if you do a 2.35:1 screen instead of 16:9 screen as it will be wider not taller.

However then it’ll have black bars on the sides for football so if tv/sports is your main use case then 16:9 would prolly be better.

·
Registered
170 Posts
What I did was convert my garage into a theater. I had the rails for the doors and the openers taken down and then a wall built behind the garage doors so it looks normal from outside but looks like a 21’x21’ room with 10’ ceilings inside.

I have my theater seating about 17’ from the 150” screen and that gives us room to play vr (mounted Vive light boxes to the ceiling) in a 16’x14’ (large for vr) space and we have a ping pong table behind the seating that we can roll in to that area to play that.

So while the room has no windows or door and is painted charcoal so is great for movie or sports watching any time of day, with the lights on it’s our multi-purpose room that we spend most of our time in. My son and I are building a domino rally right now in here and the kids will run across the room while i throw them footballs when it’s raining out, etc. I think with light control you can have a great theater and a great multi-purpose space.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
If you control the lighting with blinds etc or watch mostly at night then BenQ ht3550 for $1500 is a great 4K projector. If you are gonna let in more light, you want a brighter projector like the BenQ TK850 4K projector. You give up some color and contrast going with brighter projector and not controlling the light, but that may be acceptable to you since you aren’t looking to make it theater-like.

Darker walls/ceiling/carpet will also help the picture, but may not be doable in the space you are going for.

Definitely get a fixed screen with velvet border if you have a wall to mount it on, as it will look a lot better. You can get a Silver Ticket one which has aluminum frame and wrapped in good velvet for a good price on amazon or you can spend more for a nicer one, but that shouldn’t be necessary. There are some screens that are ambient light rejecting tho which may help your situation if you don’t want to control the lighting.

In terms of doing it, definitely. Watching the game or movies or whatever on a projector screen is >>>> on a television.
Yes the room will be dark blue walls ceiling and trim on the tv side. With the window ceiling being white, dark walls and trim.

Yes i am open to curtains to block the doors/ windows for quality movie watching in the dark.

BUT i want decent quality image when lights are on in other areas or lights are on but dimmed... ie watching the game with a bunch of kids and friends.

·
Registered
19,533 Posts
Yes the room will be dark blue walls ceiling and trim on the tv side. With the window side ceiling will being white, dark walls and trim.

Yes i am open to curtains to block the doors/ windows for quality movie watching in the dark.

BUT i want decent quality image when lights are on in other areas or lights are on but dimmed... ie watching the game with a bunch of kids and friends.
A bright laser projector and something like a S.I. Slate 1.2 / Stewart Firehawk / Seymour Screen Excellence Ambient - Visionaire 1.3 screen is probably your best bet. The Super Bowl is going to look a lot more exciting on a 120" diagonal screen !

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A bright laser projector and something like a S.I. Slate 1.2 / Stewart Firehawk / Seymour Screen Excellence Ambient - Visionaire 1.3 screen is probably your best bet. The Super Bowl is going to look a lot more exciting on a 120" diagonal screen !
Is there a good place to compare projectors? Like rtings.com is for TVs? Not sure where to start.

·
Registered
13,451 Posts
Yes the room will be dark blue walls ceiling and trim on the tv side. With the window ceiling being white, dark walls and trim.

here is a quick setup of my Viewsonic laser in a less than ideal scenario, tan painted walls, two 60watt lightbulbs shining directly against the wall. laser is at 50% power.

There are (16) 60 watt lights lit up in this room when I took the photo, it looks great in ambient light when I turn off that 1 lamp and leave all the others on. There is a ton of lumens left on tap if I max out the laser to 100%.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
here is a quick setup of my Viewsonic laser in a less than ideal scenario, tan painted walls, two 60watt lightbulbs shining directly against the wall. laser is at 50% power.

There are (16) 60 watt lights lit up in this room when I took the photo, it looks great in ambient light when I turn off that 1 lamp and leave all the others on. There is a ton of lumens left on tap if I max out the laser to 100%.
woah!

·
Registered
13,451 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is the projector with the MSRP price. street prices can't be discussed on the forum but if you shop around you can find it for a good bit less.

https://www.viewsonic.com/us/ls800wu.html

It also has excellent 3D capabilities which is a fun experience for guests.
Thanks! That one is under the price point i was looking at..
JVC RS1000 or RS 540 were the ones i was initially comparing.

·
Registered
13,451 Posts
Thanks! That one is under the price point i was looking at..
JVC RS1000 or RS 540 were the ones i was initially comparing.
The RS1000 and RS540 are close in maximum lumen output ~1600-1700 calibrated lumens in high lamp with a new bulb. depending on use that may not last long before it starts dimming.

That is 1/2 the output of the Laser DLP in it's calibrated mode (~3500). The brighest mode is over 4000 lumens and looks great with sports events. They are different projectors for different purposes. I think you will get more utility from a laser DLP that can be used like a TV without worrying about lamp replacements.

These are rated for 24/7 use and have used mine for 10+ hours at a time with no issues.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts

·
Registered
13,451 Posts
Also check out the Optoma ZH403, ZH406, ZH506. ZH606 (all 1920x1080) and ZU506T (1920 x 1200)

https://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-ZH403-1080p-Laser-Projector-Road-Test.htm

https://www.projectorreviews.com/op...essional-installation-laser-projector-review/https://www.projectorcentral.com/pdf/projector_spec_11050.pdf (ZH606)

These should have similar performance to the Viewsonic, but they can accept 4K HDR input and display 1080p HDR output.
Those are good options as well, we are ordering the ZH406 soon for a conference room but will take it home for a week to see how it compares to the Viewsonic and also take a look at HDR content with it as well. I'll post some feedback once it arrives.

The .65 DC3 DMD still has plenty of life left in it :)

1 - 20 of 157 Posts