AVS Forum banner

141 - 157 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
15,106 Posts
The best I've found is to calibrate the image, then sometimes add a bit of extra blue, reducing that orange look to skin tones. Depends on how the calibration looks, as to whether I'll adjust it further. I usually only add a bit of coolness to the image, not a ton. I find this gives a more neutral skin tone across a wider range of content, though it can make some content a tiny bit less saturated looking, but usually it's not noticeable as much as it reduces those orangish looking skin tones. Of course if you overdo it, then it will look way too clinical.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Can you give me the short answer about what height ideally i would need to mount the NX5 or 6050. Top of my screen will be roughly 87.5" Like in a perfect scenario the lens is at the top of the screen.... etc.

Does lens shift have any drawbacks like keystone correction does?

I see your point about bulb life. 1000 hours on a bulb equates to a new bulb / year at ~20 hours/week. I don't see myself down there that often but i wouldn't be shocked if its an awesome viewing experience either. Just thinking out loud here.... id replace a $300 bulb every year to not need another projector.... But this doesn't consider usuability/ startup and brightness.
A cheap 1080p DLP mounted close to the screen would be brighter than both the JVC and Epson. Laser more so. Laser starts immediately.

Lens shift on the NX5 or the 5050/6050UB should not be an issue, although it's technically not recommended to be used at 100%. One user with a 5xxxUB series claims there is no distortion with 100% vertical lens shift. The 6050UB and NX5 should have better lens quality.

Height of an 120" screen in 16:9 format is 58.8". Half of that is 29.4".

If the screen ends at 87.5", then the middle of the screen would be at 58.1" height.

80% on the NX5 would be 47.04" and 96% on the Epson is 56.44".

So the JVC's center of lens can be up to 105.14" and 114.54‬" for the Epson.

Not going to bother with the Epson, since it's well withing range, but for the JVC, if the projector would be attached to the ceiling (105") with the shallowest mount (3 inches ?). Height of the NX5 is 9.5", lens is around the center = 4.75"
Center of lens would be ~8" from the ceiling, so 97" high.

With the center of the lens at 97" and center of the screen at 58.1" (38.9‬" difference), or around 83% of what the vertical lens shift can do.

If you're asking at which height the projector should be mounted at, it depends on the mount's height. But even with the NX5 flush against the ceiling, it would still not reach 100% of it's vertical lens shift.

It should be fine with 83% of the vertical lens shift, but I'd also like others comments on this topic.

A solid mount is required for the NX5 since it's 43lbs. The Epson is 25lbs.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #143 ·
Many members of the forum view larger screens from the same or closer distance. THX is a just a recommendation.

This chart shows that you won't be getting full benefit of 4K at that size:

http://s3.carltonbale.com/resolution_chart.html

but the main thing is that the room itself is very large and you want to have lots of people viewing the image, and so it should be as large as possible. I'm viewing a ~145in screen at the same distance. Early in the thread I showed a UHD52ALV projecting onto a ~200in screen, now that might be overkill, but the image itself looked great.
Well you sent me back down the rabbit hole of considering a 150" AT screen... so thanks for that! hah!

- I actually leaning back that way now, so the JVC is a bad fit there.

I am honestly thinking the best path for me is to order an Epson 6050 bring it home and play with screen size on the wall, before I have to commit.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #147 ·
Is it projected on the grey wall?

How bright is it?
Yes just projected on the wall. The walls are more of a navy. The pictures I posted were in eco mode between 150" and 130".

It is plenty bright! I am really pleased. If i turn on any of the can light zones (with the exception of the ones directly over the screen) the picture still looks really good and has good blacks and contrast.

It should perform superb for parties and even better for movie night :)

The 10 LED cans over the screen wash the picture out a little as expected but its still watchable. The screen that size puts off so much light itself, there's not really any reason why I would ever want those cans on while watching anything.

·
Registered
30,765 Posts
Woah! I think i underestimated how awesome this is gonna be! :D
Glad you like it. It is amazing what image quality you can get in your home these days. Ten years ago, even at double the money, you could not get anything close to this.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #149 ·
Glad you like it. It is amazing what image quality you can get in your home these days. Ten years ago, even at double the money, you could not get anything close to this.
It really is... I had no idea a home projection setup could look like this, when i started shopping for 85" TVs. I think i made the right choice for my circumstances. Thanks for the sale and support Mike! Now I have at least 2 weeks of agony, before i can move in and get it set up permanently!

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Yes just projected on the wall. The walls are more of a navy. The pictures I posted were in eco mode between 150" and 130".

It is plenty bright! I am really pleased. If i turn on any of the can light zones (with the exception of the ones directly over the screen) the picture still looks really good and has good blacks and contrast.

It should perform superb for parties and even better for movie night :)

The 10 LED cans over the screen wash the picture out a little as expected but its still watchable. The screen that size puts off so much light itself, there's not really any reason why I would ever want those cans on while watching anything.
Seriously mate if you can project on to the wall itself instead of going for a screen then have a chat with @MississippiMan as his screen paint by all accounts is amazing and will give you the whole deep blacks when watching at night in the dark and allow you to watch with some lights on like an ALR screen.

Cuffed that you are so happy with your 6050ub, I know as an owner I am a little bias but I reckon it’s a cracking all rounder.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Seriously mate if you can project on to the wall itself instead of going for a screen then have a chat with @MississippiMan as his screen paint by all accounts is amazing and will give you the whole deep blacks when watching at night in the dark and allow you to watch with some lights on like an ALR screen.

Cuffed that you are so happy with your 6050ub, I know as an owner I am a little bias but I reckon it’s a cracking all rounder.
The paint option is great and very budget friendly, but I think OP mentioned that with a screen over 120" AT fabric would be required. It up to him to decide how big the screen is.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #152 ·

Thanks! Ill have to check out the paint option, thanks for the rec. And i learned a new word... cuffed :p

The paint option is great and very budget friendly, but I think OP mentioned that with a screen over 120" AT fabric would be required. It up to him to decide how big the screen is.
I did say that yes, but now im hoping to sneak in a 130"ish screen on the wall. So the paint is now a great idea! Need to research it now.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Thanks! Ill have to check out the paint option, thanks for the rec. And i learned a new word... cuffed :p

I did say that yes, but now im hoping to sneak in a 130"ish screen on the wall. So the paint is now a great idea! Need to research it now.
There are several mixes, the one Luminated67 is referring to is a popular mix called Silver Fire. Although it has a thread of it's own, it's recommended you make a new thread here:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/110-diy-screen-section/

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #155 ·
Our multi-purpose room has come together and I thought some of you that helped offer options and suggestions would like to see the outcome. We are in love with it. Projector was the perfect choice! We love the big screen feel!

I still need to decide/ order a screen, probably going to be ~135" white fixed. Daytime viewing is watchable, even with no window treatments, but i do need to figure out blackout curtain or something. I also need to pick up a low cabinet to house my AV gear, just something simple and black.

We are just projecting onto the wall and very happy so far.

Thanks again for all the help and suggestions!

(Not looking forward to mounting the 55" in the bar cabinet, its gonna be fun getting it centered perfectly) :rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
19,533 Posts
Our multi-purpose room has come together and I thought some of you that helped offer options and suggestions would like to see the outcome. We are in love with it. Projector was the perfect choice! We love the big screen feel!

I still need to decide/ order a screen, probably going to be ~135" white fixed. Daytime viewing is watchable, even with no window treatments, but i do need to figure out blackout curtain or something. I also need to pick up a low cabinet to house my AV gear, just something simple and black.

We are just projecting onto the wall and very happy so far.

Thanks again for all the help and suggestions!

(Not looking forward to mounting the 55" in the bar cabinet, its gonna be fun getting it centered perfectly) :rolleyes:
That turned out great. Thanks for posting those photos - it's nice to see how everything came together. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
just read your thread on your new basement. Congrats!! wondering if you have any follow-on thoughts 1 year later.

In the same spot as OP looking for flexible room with theater capacity and football with some lights on. It’s in a basement with a similar layout, but no windows and only an 8 foot ceiling.

trying to decide, like OP between the epson, nx5 and lg short throw. I like the jvc, but it is bigger in height and less bright. And thinking the short throw might be nicer than the box hanging down to 7 feet in the middle of the room over my couch.

Any insights welcome.

141 - 157 of 157 Posts