AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having guests over to watch the Steelers game in 100" HDTV with my Panasonic projector. Someone suggested playing poker while we have the game on, since it's only an exhibition game. That's fine, but now I need to keep an overhead light fixture on so people can see their cards.

My question is: since my projector is calibrated for a completely dark room, what settings will I need to tweak to do the picture justice? Is it a simple matter of cranking up brightness? I tried this last night but I wasn't pleased with the results, the blacks suffered. Will I have to mess with contrast too? I hate to have to recalibrate the whole thing from scratch. Any suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
The Panasonic is not a light cannon, it is designed for Home Theater. If you had a projector designed for office presentations you could have more room lighting, however, the picture would not be calibrated for Home theater, contrast and colors would suffer. You could have some low ambient lighting and would be ok, but anyting higher will affect the picture.

·
Registered
311 Posts
You can loosen all your ceiling bulbs except have one shine directly over the poker table. You can also change the bulb to a lower wattage (if you don't have a dimmer), and use a spot light instead of a flood light.

Try a 40W spot light over the poker table. This should keep most of the light directly over the table.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
You weren't specific as to what kind of overhead light fixture you have. If you have recessed lights, obviously keep the ones near the screen off. If it's one of those surface mount deals in the middle of the room that shine light in all directions I have a cheap, cheesy, but effective idea. Tack a piece of cardboard to the ceiling near the fixture so it blocks the light from hitting your screen.

·
Premium Member
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have flourescent lights. I disconnected the one closest to the screen already, but I think I will try that cardboard idea and see if that can at least "eclipse" the light source. Actually now that I think about it, I could even do this with a black piece of felt to make a mini-curtain, it might do the trick. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
You also have mode settings that can increase the lumen output of the PJ without significantly effecting the calibration. With a room light on, your contrast is dead anyway, so why sweat it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.