AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to ask those that have built their theaters how they determined where to place the wiring and future projector mounting while building a theater.

Is there a safe distance that will accomodate most pj in terms of placement?

Example if I knew I where going to have a 100" 16:9 screen would setting up wiring for the pj ~15 feet back work with most projectors out there?

Currently like the Panasonic pj that have the zoom feature which gives the best of both worlds, but not close to finishing my theater for a while so next year would be the earliest I would be looking but by then drywall could be up.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Hi there Lexman,

If you haven't already, check out the calculator on the projector central website. Link is:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Pana...ulator-pro.htm

From my reading, based on keeping your zoom at about 1.31, you can mount the projector at 15 feet back without any problems. You may need to check out the scenario for a 2.4:1 cinemascope setup.

A lot of your parameters will be dictated by how big you want your scope screen and your room dimensions. A 100 inch 16:9 is not going to be a massive scope screen.

Good luck

Greg

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
I narrowed the field to a few projector candidates, worked out my ballpark screen size, and used the close end of the range for mounting position, since I planned on zoom method for CIH, and wanted to maximize light output. It worked out close enough (even though I ended up with a different projector than originally planned).

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

I am looking now to a CIH using zoom, but next year they could hava a projector with 2.35:1 panels or a new projector with a different lens range than a projector I would pick if I were ready today.

They say to pick the projector last, but that means the walls are up and the wiring and power is already set...

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am planning on two rows of seating, would mounting the pj over the first row be ok? Obviously the pj behind both rows is optimal but does anyone have this setup?

I should end up with slightly more than 8' ceilings, -11" riser. I ask as most pj for the size screen I want the distance lies between 13 to 17'.

·
Registered
647 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexMan /forum/post/21331213

I am planning on two rows of seating, would mounting the pj over the first row be ok? Obviously the pj behind both rows is optimal but does anyone have this setup?

I should end up with slightly more than 8' ceilings, -11" riser. I ask as most pj for the size screen I want the distance lies between 13 to 17'.

My theater I'm building has the projector slightly behind the second row. It may actually sit above when the seats are reclined. I have 120" wide 2.4 screen and currently using the zoom mode. The lens of the projector sits at just at about 17 feet.

I ran wiring etc. based on my current projector as well as the one(s) I am planning to upgrade to.

One other consideration when looking at projectors if it will hang near seating is audible noise. If you are not using a hush box and the projector will hang near seating, fan/projector noise is something you may want to pay attention to as well. Some are much quieter than others.

good luck!

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
When I built my theater, I rean the wiring into the joist bay and ran it past the primary location. I did the saem with the electrical wire..I didn't terminate it. Rather, I left it in the joist bay so that I could determine the final projector location then put holes in the ceiling and pull the wires down into the space. It required a little extra wiring to ensure that I had enough, but wires were cheap (buy them from Monoprice). Photos are on my thread.

I also installed conduit as a backup in case I needed to run different wiring to the space (photos on my thread).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.