AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I am new to the forum however you seem to be a very knowledgeable crowd. I recently noticed my Optoma DX605 projector getting some dust inside degrading the picture quality. I then proceeded to take the top panel off and get out the vacuum and compressed air going at it like I often do. However when I put the unit back together I noticed the following picture problem and I have no idea what is causing it. If anyone has experienced this problem please help as I am stuck.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
That would appear to be collapsing light tunnel. The only cure is to replace it. You'll have to check with Optoma to see if the part is even available.

Also, I have to comment on your use of compressed air to clean the projector. With a DLP unit, it is very easy to drive more dust into the imaging chamber, which is where you problem is. Any dust on the OUTSIDE of the chamber, around the color wheel, etc., is NOT going to appear in the image.

No amount of blasting with air is going to get at it without opening the chamber. So you're not helping yourself with your practice of periodic blasting as all you're doing is driving more dust into the chamber.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Cost varies as does availability. Not all manufacturers have parts available and most will not sell to the end-user. Optoma is one of the few that will. You're probably looking a cost of somewhere between $30 and $75. Replacing it does carry some risk if you're not technically or mechanically inclined. It requires partial disassembly of the optical section before the imaging chamber and removal of the color wheel, which is very fragile and easily broken if mishandled.

Give Optoma a call next week and see what they tell you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.