AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I would appreciate any advice on ridding my projection setup (Runco 991, NRS, Canare cable about 35' long) of the problem in the attached photo. I am not sure of the correct terminology but it looks like an echo of vertical lines. Horizontal lines are not effected. The pic is from the Avia sharpness test pattern. I tried an 8' length of Canare cable and it made no difference. I tried both component and Svideo inputs to the NRS and it made no difference. I tried changing the NRS to high and low sync output rates and this made no difference. Any ideas?? Thanks for your help. Jeff

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
This looks like a convergence problem to me. You need to adjust the blue convergence to the left slightly.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
You didn't mention what brand & model DVD player you are using. I've seen this happen before when using analog video outputs from certain DVD players. Vertical induced ringing could be caused from any of the following...

-DVD player's video output

-Poor video cable (connections, poor shielding, bad ground, etc.)

-Poor connectors (cheap 50ohm connectors)

Still, could be more to this than I know of. I've only seen it happen when one of the above has happened.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Jeff,

Do you have the ability to hook up a HTPC to the PJ to elimate the NRS as the source of the problem?

·
Registered
567 Posts
Yep.. lovely video noise. Could be poor cables or a poor video cable connection or simply just poor video output signal from the video source.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all your suggestions. Through using different dvd players and substituting cables and connecting the dvd player directly to the NRS, I have eliminated my preamp, dvd player and cables as sources of video noise/ringing. I think I have found the culprit. I connected my computer, with the video rate set to the same resolution as the NRS (1024x768), to the NRS passthru which then went to the projector via the same cable as before. I played the Avia disc in my computer's dvd rom. The video noise/ringing was almost completely gone. From this I think the problem in my video playback is the Faroudja NRS. Is there something I am missing or have not considered? If everyone agrees, I will send the Faroudja back to the factory for repair as I have not heard or read of anyone complaining about similar artifacts with the NRS. (I suppose I will use my pc to play dvds while it is in the shop.) Let me know what you think and thanks!!!! Jeff

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
Sounds good to me. Caution: If you use your HTPC for too long, you'll not be needing the NRS..;-)

Curt

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.