AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I'm completely new to the projector world, so bear with me.

I'm currently looking at replacing my dying RP set with a projector. Based on my needs (and budget), I've narrowed it down to the following models:

Epson Home Cinema 720

Panasonic PT-AX200U

Screen: TBD (i might use some Behr silverscreen, or get a pulldown screen, i haven't decided yet).

The room I'll be using has a wall i can use that's roughly 13Wx7.5H with seating 11ft back. The projector would have roughly a 14ft throw. The room is completely light controlled (basement, 1 window w/blackout shades).

This will be my primary display(gaming, tv, movies). When gaming or watching movies I'd most likely make the room dark. Typically when watching TV with the wife, however, we leave the room lights on. They aren't overly bright, but they certainly add some light to the room.

I'm leaning towards the Epson at the moment because of all the posts about lamp issues on the AX200U thread and the fact that Epson has a free lamp rebate going at the moment. I'm a bit conerned about the fact that we do watch TV with lights on. How much will room lighting interfear with these projectors? I'm hoping since they both seem to have relatively high lumen output that they'll be able to deal with a bit of light but this is completely foreign territory to me.

Any input or info would be appreicated!

Mike.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Room darkness (or lack of) will be your biggest single problem. But it's not that sizable in your case. Sunlight is far worse than light from a lamp, and since you're in the basement, you don't have to worry about the sun leaking in. Both of those projectors are bright and decent. Pick the one you're most comfortable with and don't agonize over it.

As far as screens go, you should probably get a gray one to deal with the ambient light. If you want to paint one, take a look at the DIY screen forum on this site. There are a lot of good formulas to deal with ambient light.

But the key is: never agonize over your decisions. Get a projector and start enjoying it.

Jim

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
All light affects projector performance. This is why commercial cinemas/theaters are dark with non-reflective wall, ceiling, floor and seating surfaces.

If you and your wife won't mind a somewhat washed out image with visible loss of contrast and etc. then keep the room lights on and you will still be able to see a picture of sorts.

We have a 56in HD TV for casual viewing with lights on but for projection Home Theater the lights go out and room is very near dark or totally dark.

This is why most projector users will probably advise that a projector is not best to use for lights on content viewing - light always degrades image quality - always - more light the more obvious the degradation.

goodluck

·
Registered
9,118 Posts
Here is a thread I started a while back showing some of the things I did to allow a fair light level in a basement theater while still having a good PQ.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...86#post9513486

There are other links in my signature showing the positive aspects of a neutral gray screen in such a room.

The above poster is correct all light detracts from PQ. The key is projector lumens first combined with a screen that will give you correct (Foot Lambert) levels, then control of light reflections closest to the screen first and then control of room lighting to place the light where needed and away from the screen.

·
Banned
3,811 Posts
my strong advice is stay away (i know i'll offend some for this) away from the Panasonic projectors. Their technology that supposedly lessens the Screen Door Effect (SDE) makes the image appear very blurred and soft. I did not like it, and yes i have seen the expensive models at 1080P. i was NOT impressed. just my .02

1 - 5 of 5 Posts