AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want a projector! no, I need a projector!

Only one problem, I have a budget, and a pretty tight one at that. So I am looking for a used projector. Here are a couple of questions to guide me in my search.

Projector will be installed in our living room on a shelf near the ceiling, projecting to a wall 17 feet away. Couch is 10 ft from wall. Screen will have to roll up out of the way. Lots of windows in the room with dark curtains but not complete light control.

1. Resolution -- Is XGA better the SVGA? I will be sending the projector a source from my HTPC. Since DVD is only 480p and TV is 480i, is there really a benifit to higher resolution if we are just scaling up a lower resolution?

2. Lumens -- How many lumens would i need to have a decent viewing experiance in the daytime without complete light control. I am thinking mostly of watching football on Sunday afternoon. Note: If i can sell my 36in directview montor that will open my budget up a little.

3. Screen size -- I am not looking for huge screen size. If i stay in the 60 to 70 inch diag. screen size will this help reduce "screen door effect" as well as help with brightness. Will i be able to get that small an image from 17 feet away?

4. Any other info that will assist in my search.

Thanks, and if anyone knows of any deals that will fit my needs, please let me know.

Marc

·
Registered
855 Posts
Hi Marc.

Check out this link: http://www.projectorcentral.com/cons...i=home_theater

It's a good starting point.

The best piece of advice I can give you - if you haven't already - is demo several projectors first. Each has their strengths and weaknesses. It's up to you to decide which one works the best for you.

------------------

Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

[This message has been edited by Lou Sytsma (edited 08-15-2001).]

·
Registered
38 Posts
First of all I'd like to say "hi" to everyone here. I discovered this site about a week ago and have been lurking since. The information here about HT is the "Motherlode". I'd like to thank the folks here for sharing the wealth of information that I've found so useful here. On that note I'd like to join cohnhead in seeking expert opinions in finding a pj.

I'm a HT virgin. I've just built my first house and have dedicated a room to my future HT. I'll cut to the chase. I'm currently in the market for a display device for my HT. Up until a couple of weeks ago I had my mind set on a large HDTV-compat. RPTV. After doing a lot of reading here and at Projectorcentral.com, I've come to the conclusion that I really should be looking at FPTV.

Bottom line: I've narrowed down my choices to either the LT150, or the z9000u. I know most of the differences between the two, including the significance of price. My question is, for those who know, what would I be happier with for the long haul, the lt150 NOW for less, or wait on the z9000u and spend more???? I also don't want to have a pj that is obsolete in a year or 2 based on this new encryption dilemma I've been seeing.

BTW, Is there anyone in the DFW metroplex that would be willing to give me a demo of the 150?? I've been to all the HT shops here and only one had pj's setup and running, and they were for crap. I want something to show the wife. Something to help justify my cause!!! ;-) She was not impressed with the Runco and Sanyo, I believe that we saw, and frankly, neither was I.

Any help/demos would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
My 2 cents...

cohnhead...if you are really on a budget and you want to watch TV in the daytime, I would recommend an RPTV at this time. Getting a projector, a scaler, and screen is going to run a minimum of $4000 and you would have somewhat marginal daytime viewing capability. If you get a high lumen output projector like some of the newest Sanyo's coming out (3500 lumens), you will be out probably $7K for the projector alone. You can get a good 60" diagonal RPTV for much less, that is more oooptimized for daytime regualar TV viewing. Front projectors really shine on HDTV and DVD material in a light controlled room. To get a good image off of 480i material, an external scaler ($1K-$1.5K) is a must.

Blanco....If I were you, I would get the NEC LT150. Great solution for a budgeted dedicated theater. There is no guarantee that the z9000 won't be obsoleted by the same encryption. BTW, you most likely saw a Seleco and not a Sanyo, which are more common in HT retailers. Either way, I am surprised it wasn't impressive. Must have been setup poorly.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Blanco, can you see rainbows ?

If the only rainbows you can see are the ones caused by rain&sun, then you should give the LT150 a try. Otherwise, you may want to look somewhere else.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Quote:
Blanco....If I were you, I would get the NEC LT150. Great solution for a budgeted dedicated theater. There is no guarantee that the z9000 won't be obsoleted by the same encryption. BTW, you most likely saw a

Seleco and not a Sanyo, which are more common in HT retailers. Either way, I am surprised it wasn't impressive. Must have been setup poorly.
Well with the few screenshots I've seen from various threads of the lt150, I have to say, I'm somewhat impressed. But after reading about the features of the 9000, I'm inclined to wait. The only thing that would keep me away from the 9000 would be the encryption issue. It seems to me that starting with the 150 now and possibly upgrading to the 9000 in the somewhat near future might be the way to go.

I'm primarily interested in watching movies(DVD, PPV((widescreen))), and some HDTV programming, namely more movies, and sports. Knowing this, would I be content with the 150??? I don't know. That's why I'm so interested in a demo. I've not seen a good HT demo, although I HAVE seen 3 feature length movies at a local theater in DLP(Final Fantasy, JP3, and Planet of the Apes). I'm definitely hooked on DLP. And if I build my HT piece meal over time then the budgetary constraints will be much less.

What to do??? What to do???

BTW, It wasn't a Seleco, of that I'm sure. The sales dewd said it was on closeout. It was, I think, right at $2K, single panel lcd, noisey, and everything had a blueish tint. The Runco was I believe the VX-1c??? Asking price was right at or just below $20k. They were showing clips from that underwater Stallone movie "The Daylights" I think it's called. Anyway, picture seemed dim in totally dark room, and blacks seemed much closer to bright/ light gray. Contrast looked week too. Of course what do I know, I'm just an HT newbie with zero fpj experience.

[This message has been edited by Blanco (edited 08-15-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Blanco (edited 08-15-2001).]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.