AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a newbie. I would like to get recommandations for good projectors to watch digital cable. I very rarely watch DVD and HDTV will not be available for me before at least 5 years (french canada). My buget for the projector is $3000 max.

Would I loose much picture quality compared to a SONY 40XBR800? This is the TV I will get if I do not get a projector.

Would a processor hlep improve picture quality?

Would a HTPC help improve picture quality?

·
Registered
59 Posts
In all likelyhood no matter what projector and processor you get the quality still won't be great. Digital cable and digital satellite signals are compressed and it'll show up when you start blowing the picture up with a projector. Things you don't see on your tv will be magnified and clearly visible on the projector. A lot also depends on your cable provider and how much compression they are using, I have seen some channels that were totally unwatchable on a big screen because of the pixelation on fast moving scenes. Running my satellite signal through the HTPC helps, but even on channels that aren't over compressed the picture isn't very impressive. There simply isn't enough detail to make it worth blowing up to 80" diagonal. Maybe it's because I've seen DVDs and HDTV, and the detail they have, but in all honesty I wouldn't get a projector to watch TV programs. I just don't think you get enough return on the investment by blowing up that kind of signal. Everyone is different though, so YMMV.

·
Registered
255 Posts
If you rarely watch DVD or HDTV, just stick with your XBR. You'll probably be disappointed in the picture quality of digital cable blown up to projector size, compared to the image you're getting on your tube.

My $0.02.

--Scott

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
You guys are missing the point -- he said he will get the 40 incher if he doesn't buy a PJ, not that he already has one. I would advise a smaller non-HD ready direct view if you do not plan on watching DVDs and will not have HDTV for five years. A 32 or 36 inch Toshiba or Sony will serve you well for the next few years until you are ready to go large and will cost well under $1000 US. That 40 inch XBR will cost around $2500 US and is big and very heavy. As the others have stated, a poor signal looks worse the larger you blow it up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.