AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just trying to find the right type of projector.

I will be using this only to watch special events / movies. It will not be ceiling mounted. I have directv with HD DVR and PS3 and WII.

I will watch Football, Watch Movies and maybe a few special events and some video games like madden 10 and EA hockey when it comes out..

Budget range is max $1500.

My question is would I be better off buying a $1500 720p projector or a budget 1080p projector. I know CEDIA is just around the corner from reading posts, but so is the football season.

Thanks for any input

·
Registered
549 Posts
Viewsonic Pro8100 1080P $1299 or a little less....If you buy through bing's cashback you can save more money.

J&R has the best deal today with free shipping but they are out of stock. Tiger Direct is usually the best for this projector. Just go to Bing.com and search tiger direct. Usually, at the top of the search page, there will be a link to tiger direct with 12.5% cashback from bing. You have to get a bing cashback membership 1st but you will get the cashback from microsoft's bing cashback in about 60 days.

·
Registered
684 Posts
What is the closest that this projector can be mounted to the screen?

I would like to use a 120 inch screen.

But have a fan hanging from the ceiling. Might be a tight install depending on PJ mount distance!!

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
684 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by btiltman /forum/post/17051262

Ditch or move the fan?

What does 9 feet set PJ back, get me picture size wise?

If I set it on the back wall it would be a 20 foot throw to the screen.

I do not think there is enough lumens for a clear picture for a 120 inch screen.

Opinions??

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Since you're not mounting it on the ceiling, you should definitely look into short throw technology as it will save you a lot of space, time, and effort when setting it up each time and save you lots of space constraints. BenQ has some great short throw technology projectors, below are 2 for your recommendation:

MP777

MSRP: $1,499, 4000 lumens, 2600:1 contrast ratio, minimum throw distance of 1 meter, HDMI connectivity, 6 color wheel segment DLP, 1024x768 native res (max: 1600x1200)

MP771ST

Price: $1,600, 3000 lumens, 2000:1 contrast ratio, minimum throw distance of 0.5 meter, DVI connectivity, 6 color wheel segment DLP, 1024x768 native res (max: 1280x1024)

http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-MP777.htm

http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-MP771.htm

EDIT*

Apologies, but I forgot that the MP777 is not short throw. Sorry for the confusion!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts