AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks, I’m in the planning stages for my dedicated HT which will be constructed along with my new constructed home starting very soon! I have a planning thread but it didn’t seem to get any attention (probably information overload), so I thought I’d break the topics up into individual posts.

This is my first projector purchase and I’m researching what the best PJ is for my budget and room. My original budget was $1000 to $1500 but I am willing to spend $2000 or a bit more if it’s worth it. If $2000 will give me a much sharper image, greater throw distance, and possibly 2.35:1 w/out an additional lens, then I am all for it.

Here’s my room and other specs:

Room is approx. 13’W x 18’L x 8’H, completely controlled lighting, deep red/burgundy walls with black trim and black ceiling.

Throw distance – depends on the projector. My preference is to have the projector inset into the back wall, so ideal would be 18’ to 20’ but I am ok with ceiling mount if I have to.

My screen size is also dependent on the PJ, but I expect to have either a 125” 2.35:1 screen OR 135” 16:9. If that’s too tall for the room, I would go 120” 16:9. Not sure what kind of screen but it will be lower budget ($400 to $500). Would also love recommendations for best low budget screen.

This room will be used mostly for watching movies, with the exception of a few TV shows.

Viewing distance for front row would be approx. 10’, back row 16’. I realize the front row is a bit closer than recommended for a 120”+ size screen.

I definitely want the PJ to be capable of 3D and 1080P. Aside from that I’m just looking for the best bang for my buck, and relatively cheap cost for bulb replacement.

Here’s a few contenders I found from my research so far:
Lower End:

BenQ W1070

Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 3020
Higher End:

Panasonic PT-AE8000U

Sony VPL-HW30ES

Are these good options or would you recommend others? What benefit does the higher end give me over the lower end?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
The Sony by far if you can afford it, especially in a dark well prepared room as you describe. I am not sure about the throw distance check the calculators 20' is a long throw. Jamestown fixed frame cine white 1.2 gain screen would be the least expensive good screen option if you have the patience to deal with him. Look at JVC also. The others are OK options but the LCOS are the best at black level.

·
Registered
7,072 Posts
Considering the screen size, I would go with a minimal gain (1.1 to 1.5 gain) white screen.

For a projector, the cheaper models won't deliver what the better models will and the Sony is the best choice. If you can swing into a slightly better Sony model then you really will be set for many years to come. They have great offerings on a 120" to 140" minimal gain screen. JVC just isn't bright enough for that screen size.

I would not recommend 2.35. Seriously, if you can do a 135" 16:9 screen, then do it. But, losing height just to be 'cool' with 2.35 makes no sense and you should not find yourself overwhelmed with that size at all with 8' ceiling height and a 1.78 aspect ratio.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts