AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all... I've been following the forums for a little while and have a question now. I'm be looking for a home theater projector that won't break the bank, but will provide enough capability for the next couple years. I prefer LCD (I can spot the rainbows in DLP and, though it doesn't drive me nuts, I prefer them not to be there).

I also don't think I need heavy deinterlacing stuff in the projector. I'd rather have a nice progressive DVD and not pay for the technology twice. I don't watch much TV, so it doesn't seem reasonable to have it there.

The projector will double as a PC video output, but not necessarily a PC that will play DVDs. Leave that to the DVD player. I'd also like to run 16:9 natively and deal with 4:3 with black bars on the sides.

Recommendations? Any other considerations I should make that would narrow this down?

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
With the recent price drop, the best value in a 16:9 LCD projector is the Sanyo PLV-60. There is not much competition there besides the Sony's and the consensus is that the Sanyo is the better projector.

·
Registered
146 Posts
If you give a dollar amount you're willing to spend, the folks here will be able to help you narrow your search much better. Is easier to set yourself a limit and then get the most for your money based on that limitation. Just a thought.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have a Sony VPL-VW10HT and have been very happy with it. Great picture right out of the box. Mostly watch DVDs but also VHS and TV (currently OTA analog, plan on getting DISH 6000 soon for HDTV). Good luck with your decision.

Steve

·
Registered
250 Posts
A price range would definitely be helpful. The new six segment color wheel DLPs are coming out soon (scan the forum for reviews coming out of CEDIA), which should take care of the rainbow issue for you - especially if it did not bug you that much before. These generally give a better picture than the LCDs, although everyone has their own opinion of course. I'd recommend at least looking into these, assuming your budget can range into the $10K range or so.

------------------

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright. I'd say my upper limit is probably $5000. That puts the Sanyo right in there -- according to my brief search for pricing. Now that we've established a projector, can we define the shortcomings? I've tried to keep up with the terminology on this group, but there is a lot to learn.

DEINTERLACING: It doesn't appear that the PLV-60HT has any deinterlacing built-in. So, assuming the DVD player will do a good job, I can feed progressive DVD outputs to the LCDP and get good results. Likewise, 16:9 video from a computer will look good as well. Unfortunately, interlaced TV/DSS/VHS/etc will suffer from the lack of a nice deinterlacer, correct?

SCALING: If I am correct, DVDs can be 1.85:1, 2.35:1, 4:3, and 16:9, right? What sort of scaling features do I want to make things look nice?

Also, what would be a ``move-up'' from the PLV-60 in _any_ price range, and why? Assume I don't care about brightness or contrast -- just compare video features.

Again, I think this thread has the capability to make a lot of things clear to a newbie like myself. Thanks!!

Cheers,

Jake

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh, and where are the best prices on the PLV-60? Any idea where I could see one in central Illinois? I've seen the 10HT and have considered it one of my 'interesting prospects'. The PLV-60 seems fairly close.

Jake

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.