Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've been trying to isolate a problem in my NEC 6PG Xtra, and I'm to the point of needing someone in person (Seattle area). The guy I bought it from (Drew) who normally does any needed adjusting or repairs is in another country on a family emergency, and it may be a while before he's back. I've also been trying to isolate the problem through e-mail with Doug Baisey but I'm way past my level of expertise.

Any recommendations for someone in this area? (I live a few miles north of Seattle). It's been a few years since I've been to Definitive or Magnolia, but I can call them as a last resort.

Problem: Power up, approx 2 seconds later the projector powers down and a FC error code is displayed. I've been trying to isolate (online with Doug) which board might be causing the problem but no luck so far.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,

Cliff

·
Registered
502 Posts
MY XG was working fine until I changed the options menu to "auto warmup" for 5 minutes. Now I get the same problem. I'm thinking that this is a problem in the menu system but I can't find out as the machine will not stay running. "FC" code as well.

If I can offer any help I will, good luck.

Alun

·
Registered
502 Posts
O.K. Cliff I messed around with mine a bit and got it working again. Try this is you care.

Turn on the unit and repeatedly depress the "end" key on your remote. If the problem is related to an auto warmup issue then this will bypass it on startup. Then go into your options menu and dissable the auto warmup feature.

I don't know how but this seemed to solve my problem...go figure.

Alun

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
Yeah, i think you might just need to be patient, or try Guy Kuo, but he's probably quite busy. As for local CRT-know-how.... that's a tough one. I think you're pretty much stuck with forum help (i say "stuck" with full knowledge that the know-how around these parts is probably far more anyway :D ).

A guy at magnolia basically looked at me strangely when I asked if they dealt at all with CRT projectors. He recovered by sort of saying that they sell digital projectors, and asked me if I meant RPTVs.... I got the feeling he didn't quite even know what a CRT projector was.

As for definitive, I dunno I doubt it unless you do quite some convincing. I think they might have the know-how, but they're not gonna go out of their way. There are a couple other specialty shops around downtown that used to deal with CRTs, but I don't think they're really gonna be much help unless you're gonna start shelling out big bucks. Your best bet is here and/or wait and be patient for the cavalry to get back.

·
Registered
18,507 Posts
If you care to lug it North across the border, I have spare working Xtra chassis that I can get it going easily (I think).

Curt

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No luck on repeatedly pressing the "end" key after attempting to power up - it still shuts off after 2 seconds with an FC code.

Curt, I might be making a road trip this weekend if you're available. :)

Cliff

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Curt is your closest bet then, there is no other expertise in crt's on this side of our corner of the world.

You are actually very close to him and should consider yourself lucky.

There is not a chance in the world that any magnolia or anything like them is going to be able to do more than try to hard sell you into a digital. At worst they will fake having a clue, take it in, and you will be really screwed if you let them touch it... They will charge $500 to look at it, and then say the board you need is $1500 or more from the factory. I guarantee it.

Troy

·
Registered
18,507 Posts
I'm out this weekend, but next week or the weekend after is fine.

Thanks!

Curt

·
Registered
733 Posts
I made a visit to Curts' five or six months ago from Oly, It was an easy 3 1/2 hour drive. It would be an hour less for you. He's just across the border. The man is a pleasure to work with. There's a little eatery at the Langley airport that serves pretty good food to boot. It's not 5 star but way better than fast food.

·
Registered
16 Posts
ONE OF THE BEST CRT REPAIR PLACES IN SEATTLE (REDMOND)IS

. GIVE THEM A CALL THEY PUT NEW CRTS IN FOR ME AND CONVERGED IT TO MAKE IT LOOK OUTSTANDING. HERES THE INFO

SPL

8665 154th Avenue NE

Redmond, WA 98052

425-861-5564

425-861-5784 fax

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.