AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is a dumb question, I can't find a simple answer anywhere.

I have just purchased an Optoma HD71 with a native resolution of 720p. I have sources that output 1080p (PS3) through an Onkyo 605 using HDMI.

My question is what is the best resolution to output my projector at? 720p or 1080i? I know there is quite a bit of 1080i vs 720p discussions, but my question is more along the lines of the conversion of a projector that's native resolution is 720p vs a blu-ray source that is 1080p.

Maybe my simplified question should be, does a projector that has a native resolution of 720p output 1080i very well?

Thanks, I appreciate the assistance.

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
You're talking about the resolution of a projector that's 720p. Therefore, the ONLY resolution that the projector can output is 1280x720. You cannot change that in the projector. If you see a resolution in the projector menu, it's telling you the resolution that's going INTO the projector, not what's coming out. If a 720p projector is taking in 480i/p or 1080i/p resolutions, it'll deinterlace and either upscale or downscale that signal to output at 1280x720.

As far as which looks better through your projector, 720p or 1080i, it's both a subjective and objective question. It's subjective, because really, whichever resolution you use from a source going into the picture looks better to you, may be totally different for somebody else. The easy answer of which is better is, which looks better to you? However, it's also an objective question, because you can test the video processors in each component with the HQV Benchmark DVD. You may find that letting the source component (i.e. a blu-ray player) downconvert the material to 720p results in jaggies or more noise, vs. sending the signal untouched by the blu-ray player to the projector and letting the projector do the processing (or, obviously, the other way around). Using the HQV disc lets you compare objectively which component does a better job.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
There are so many factors that can go into what will actualy be best.

720p should be best, but that is often not the case and you should try all resolutions from each source and let your eyes be the judge.

·
Registered
370 Posts
If the source is a progressive signal and the projector is progressive I would avoid sending 1080i. You shouldn't interlace then de-interlace if you don't need to. Use 720p or 1080p (if possible).

·
Registered
4,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarlsen /forum/post/12999654

If the source is a progressive signal and the projector is progressive I would avoid sending 1080i. You shouldn't interlace then de-interlace if you don't need to. Use 720p or 1080p (if possible).

If the source is 1080i as in most HD tv broadcasts, you have to determine whether the receiver should convert to 720p or the projector. You would be surprised to see how many find that sending 1080i to the PJ looks better than telling your cable/sat receiver to send 720p to the PJ.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts