AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Projector review: Samsung SP-A 600 B
A great picture and - after firmware-update - just a few small quirks...

The SP-A 600 B, a step-down model from the recently reviewed SP-A 800 B , needed to get a firmware-update, but now it offers much of its bigger brother's picture quality the contrast, colors, and sharpness are all astonishing good for it's priceclass.

But the A 600 B sells for about 1,700 USD, compared to 7,500 USD for the superior model so it's no surprise to find a few shortcomings in its performance.

In fact, there aren't that many weaknesses, and they're the kind of problems you can quickly evade. The de-interlacing struggles with standard-definition interlaced video, but all you need to do is set the source device to up-scale its HDMI output signal.

Then come the colors: The Samsung's low-power Theater lamp mode introduces some significant errors in yellow and magenta, as you can see in the CIE diagram below. But we passed this information on to Samsung, and the manufacturer has now issued updated firmware that solves the problem.

Unfortunately, anyone still stuck with the old firmware will need to actually send the device in to be updated. Very awkward!

This is the CIE diagram of the SP-A 600 B's Theater mode, which, thankfully, Samsung has now corrected in a firmware update.

That's just about the end of the grumbling. Otherwise, the SP-A 600 B performs excellently the ANSI contrast measures a healthy 550:1, and we managed to tweak the color temperature to an almost-ideal 6,600 Kelvin.

One remaining quibble is the gamma setting, which, at 2.6, is too high for the projector's fairly run-of-the-mill in-picture contrast. In fact, the menu lacks any sensible gamma settings, offering only a too-bright 2.05 or an s-shaped 2.1 as alternatives.

Perhaps the most important thing that you can say in the Samsung's defense is that it's extremely cheap for its picture quality. If this is the price class your budget allows, then there are few models that we can recommend this highly. If you can spend more, you should take a look at the JKP-certified SP-A 800 B and 900 B models.

Read the full review of the Samsung SP-A 600 B at Televisions.com.

Any comments on the device or our review are most welcome.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Buyer beware.

However good or bad the PQ is irrelavent. Check out Samsungs PJs past history of defects and their abject refusal to make good to their customers. This is the only brand that I would no longer even consider recommending.

I have a multi-thousand dollar paper weight that is a Samsung PJ. I think that the failure rate on that PJ was close to 100 percent. Samsung failed to fix them during the warranty period and refused to fix them after. There is so much wrong with that model that I fear it is not fixable, and that explains why the don't. However, they refused to make it right by complensating all of us who bought it. My dealer told me that every Sammy he sold had failed the same way that mine did and that Samsung would do nothing for his customers. Samsung treated me the same as the rest of his customers.

That dealer was not AVS. AVS had already stopped selling that PJ, because they were just beginning to see the problems.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Very sleek design, but I've also had some bad experiences with Samsung PJ's. Could be they got the message and put in the R & D this time though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts