AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I'm hoping you can help me with a HT configuration question that is driving me a little crazy. :)

I just bought a new house and the builder is finishing out the wiring for the dedicated media room. The goal is to ceiling-mount a projector (Epson 1080 UB or Panasonic PT-AE2000 at this point) and a ~92 or 106" fixed screen on one of the walls.

The room is ~19' x 13' and both ends of the room have their drawbacks for mounting a fixed projector screen. See the pictures attached to get an idea of what I'm faced with. Also, note that there are no risers planned or possible at this point.

On the one end of the room, the roof slopes down to a 68" height. At 5' out from the wall, it's back up to a full 9' ceiling for the length of the room. [see picture 1]

On the other end of the room, I have a flat 9' ceiling, but there is a pillar in one corner and the door sweep area (it opens in, into the room) that both eat into the width of the room. With the door open, the space between the pillar and door is 94", which is still wide enough for either screen, though just barely... [see picture 3]

Drawbacks mounting on the sloped side of the room:
  • an uncomfortably low (at least to me) screen position. At best, the screen would be 16" from the floor, which seems way too low. (maybe 11-12" too low based on some of the calculators on these forums)
  • on this side of the room, I can go no bigger than a 92" screen without moving the screen even closer to the floor.
  • center channel placement would be awkward at best trying to fit it into the 16" below the screen. It would basically be laying on the floor.
  • I think that quite a bit of keystone correction is going to be needed to make throw the image that far down (center of image at 3.5' and a projector mounted on a 9' ceiling from ~12-13' back). I don't know how much of an effect this has on quality, but it worries me. (Should it?)
  • because of where the windows are, sitting this way means my side surrounds are just under 8.75' from the screen, which seems a little close as well. (with the room facing the other way, they're at 10.25', about right) [see picture 2]

Drawbacks I see mounting the screen on the side with the door:
  • With the door open, speakers and screen can be centered on the 94" of wall that is visible with the door open. However, when the door closes, will everything look horribly off center? (it seems like it will... maybe I'm just paranoid) [see picture 3]
  • The guy I had come out from a local installer said the sound would be a lot better mounting the front speakers under the sloped ceiling, so I might be losing out. He also strongly recommended putting the screen on the sloped wall, which has me wondering if he's crazy or I am. (he said the door sweep factor would really bother him)
  • Windows are closer to this end of the room. Though we plan on being able to control ~90% of the light, so this probably is not a huge concern. [see picture 4]

I can achieve the necessary throw distance from either location, so that doesn't factor in.

For those of you out there, I greatly appreciate any advice you have!

1) Do you have strong feelings one way or the other on what is the best setup? (i.e. What is the lesser of two evils?!)

2) Are there any other considerations I'm missing here that I should be thinking about?

3) Is there a compromise I haven't considered? (could the screen be effectively hung from the sloped ceiling? I think no, but maybe I'm wrong...)

Thanks in advance!

Jason

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Do you need that door to open on the sloped end of the room? If not, frame a new false wall out so you can get a higher screen height. Other option is a 2.35 ratio screen.

The other end with the bumpout and the door doesn't feel like a good screen wall.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. Just to clarify, do you think that sounds too low as well or is it just me? To your question, that door on the sloped end of the room is to the closet with the component rack, so I'd need to get in there. 2.35 is a good idea I hadn't considered... thanks for the thought.

I'm wondering if there is a way I could hang the screen from the sloped part of the ceiling to give myself another 12" of height or so... I could either do this with a fixed screen or mount a retractable screen to the sloped part of the wall, but I'm not sure how either would look. I think this would bring it up about a foot which seems to be about ideal.

One thought I had was to put eye hooks into the sloped part of the wall and hang a fixed screen from the hooks. I think this would work without looking totally bizarre, though other suggestions are definitely welcome.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
No problem hanging the screen away from the wall, using eyehooks in the ceiling. You could also hang curtains around the screen in the same manner as others do with their screens on the wall. Including a fringe curtain all the way across, above the screen and a little further out into the room. The curtains will conceal the empty space behind the screen. I think you could get away with the screen 2 to 2-1/2 feet forward to gain a good deal of extra height. You're probably going to have equipment and/or speakers which would take up room space in that area and with the screen mounted forward of the wall, the equipment could still be against the wall.

I did just that. My screen can be swung up from the bottom and latched against the ceiling in front, so I can access storage behind. (The reason for mounting the screen away from the wall was that a drain pipe ran along the ceiling and against the wall.

Incidently I did a doorway with (quite DIY) double side parting door leaves instead of a standard door to reduce the door swing space that would otherwise be needed. (also in connection with my theater) Would a bifold door replacing a swing in door work for you?

Video hints: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/theater.htm

·
Registered
737 Posts
I would put the screen on the wall with the sloped ceiling. You could build a false wall up to the door frame and put an acoustically transparent screen with your speakers behind it.

Consider a scope screen. If you can't go higher, go wider...

You could draw this up in Google sketchup to see what it might look like.

Perhaps consider the Mitsubishi HC4900 projector - it has tons of lens shift.

I wouldn't worry about the distance of the surrounds as long as they are appropriate to the seating area - which is dictated by the size of the screen.

My room is 13 X 20. I have a 46 X 108 screen mounted 29" off the ground. My first row is 11 feet from the screen. I think it will be great (not done yet).

Good luck, it looks like a fun challenge.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts