AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Need some help to figure out a decent screen.

I have the Epson HD 72 in a basement rec room setup.

This is my first foray into this arena. I am currently projecting on the wall... not too nice!

Its a semi finished basement. Has just under 8foot walls and no real constraint horizontally. I will be mounting the screen from the ceiling joists.

Room is pretty dark, most of the time.

Should I go pull down/fixed?

Manual or motorized? It will likely stay down most of the time, so no real incentive for a motorized.

I am thinking a 120"?

Budget - under $300... will that work - do I need to up it or go DIY?

Can I please have some recs for the same?

Many thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
$300 won't quite pull off a 120" fixed frame Elite Sableframe. It is around $320-340. However, only available in white, so you need good light control.

Under $300 pull downs are going to be smaller and not tensioned, so you would need to deal with wrinkles.

If you want pre-made, I'd up the budget a bit and look at the Elite. If you are willing to work at it, you will get equal or better results with either the Wilson DW laminate, or one of Mississippiman's paint mixes.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayn_j /forum/post/19645899

$300 won't quite pull off a 120" fixed frame Elite Sableframe. It is around $320-340. However, only available in white, so you need good light control.

Under $300 pull downs are going to be smaller and not tensioned, so you would need to deal with wrinkles.

If you want pre-made, I'd up the budget a bit and look at the Elite. If you are willing to work at it, you will get equal or better results with either the Wilson DW laminate, or one of Mississippiman's paint mixes.

Isnt this what you are talking about?: http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Screens-...2344793&sr=1-1

Is seems within my budget?

I do a lot of woodworking in the winter and have a full workshop. I might do DIY anyway eventually. Need something quick though to get me started. I will research the 2 options above. I am keen to get something quick for this basement setup... doesnt need to be perfect, since its my secondary HT.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocrapman /forum/post/19646146

Isnt this what you are talking about?: http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Screens-...2344793&sr=1-1

Is seems within my budget?

I do a lot of woodworking in the winter and have a full workshop. I might do DIY anyway eventually. Need something quick though to get me started. I will research the 2 options above. I am keen to get something quick for this basement setup... doesnt need to be perfect, since its my secondary HT.

That's the one. About $20 cheaper then when I bought mine last summer. I'm quite pleased with how it worked out for me, but to be fair, I am using a fairly bright Epson 8100 projector in a light controlled room. I like that the fixed frame makes a theater statement for me. It is tight and gives a good image. However, being white, it washes out significantly if there is a lot of ambient light. It can handle indirect light from the next room, or a small desk lamp by my equipment, but the overhead lights will have a noticable effect on contrast. Still watchable, but it kills the wow factor.

If ambient light is a factor, consider going an extra $100 for this one instead (oops, just noticed this one is 100". Check around as it is available in 120")
http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Screens-...2353942&sr=8-3

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamenixon /forum/post/19648072

These are inexpensive, easy to install and easy to use. They operate just like a standard roller blind that you pull down and retract back up into the casing manually. Most of our manual screens can be wall or ceiling mounted.

What are we talking about here??

·
Registered
148 Posts
I would second the EliteScreens. I needed a screen and looked at the DIY and honestly this was as cheap and didn't have all the headaches.

I actually did the EZFrame but with the CineWhite cloth and it is a very good screen for the money.

I would definitely go fixed screen if you can - don't have to worry about wrinkles, etc.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptmurphy /forum/post/19649755

I would second the EliteScreens. I needed a screen and looked at the DIY and honestly this was as cheap and didn't have all the headaches.

I actually did the EZFrame but with the CineWhite cloth and it is a very good screen for the money.

I would definitely go fixed screen if you can - don't have to worry about wrinkles, etc.

I think might just get the Sable Elite fixed frame.

Whats a good place to buy these from?

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocrapman
I think might just get the Sable Elite fixed frame.

Whats a good place to buy these from?
I just picked an Amazon reseller with a good price and rating. It was actually drop shipped directly from Elite.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I'm in the same arean as the OP - but my main focus is getting the room completed right now. My question is how are the motorized screens powered? I'd assume 120V outlet - if so, do all motorized screens have the power chord on the same end of the unit (ie., right hand side). I want to future proof my room for it, and that's just one of the wiring quesitons I'm currently struggling with....

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
In a hurry? If not, then I suggest you check Ebay and C.List within 50 miles of your location and also research close out stores.

I bought our first screen - Da-lite, Da-snap, gray fixed wall screen for $50.00 in a local shop that specializes in returns and demo units from big stores and this screen was new in the box - it's still available new online for $600 to $800 depending on the seller's price.

A week ago I found a larger, pull down screen, gray used but in like new condition on C.List. It was 35 miles away from our house but cheapest new I could find online was $240 and I paid $80 plus about $8 in gas.

Patient, creative shoppers often suffer the consequences of paying a lot less for exactly what they are looking for.

·
Registered
34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocrapman /forum/post/19645753

Hi guys,

Need some help to figure out a decent screen.

I have the Epson HD 72 in a basement rec room setup.

This is my first foray into this arena. I am currently projecting on the wall... not too nice!

Its a semi finished basement. Has just under 8foot walls and no real constraint horizontally. I will be mounting the screen from the ceiling joists.

Room is pretty dark, most of the time.

Should I go pull down/fixed?

Manual or motorized? It will likely stay down most of the time, so no real incentive for a motorized.

I am thinking a 120"?

Budget - under $300... will that work - do I need to up it or go DIY?

Can I please have some recs for the same?

Many thanks in advance for the help!

If you are saying that you are able to darken your room, than you should look for projection screen with gain not more than 1,2 (gain 1 would be perfect, if room would be very dark, etc for cinema). What about budget, you could go for example for EliteScreens, its quite good quality for reasonable price, and of course manual pull down.

Decide what screen width do you need? And than you could go for even bigger screen than 120", if you will look for 1:1 measurments screen. It is strange, but 1:1 sometimes could be cheaper compared to same width and same material 4:3 screen. You can fix screen at any possition and make it 4:3 or 16:9, 16:10 etc.

·
Registered
34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjay /forum/post/19672954

In a hurry? If not, then I suggest you check Ebay and C.List within 50 miles of your location and also research close out stores.

I bought our first screen - Da-lite, Da-snap, gray fixed wall screen for $50.00 in a local shop that specializes in returns and demo units from big stores and this screen was new in the box - it's still available new online for $600 to $800 depending on the seller's price.

A week ago I found a larger, pull down screen, gray used but in like new condition on C.List. It was 35 miles away from our house but cheapest new I could find online was $240 and I paid $80 plus about $8 in gas.

Patient, creative shoppers often suffer the consequences of paying a lot less for exactly what they are looking for.

very nice if you found like new condition cheap screen
but everyone should always pay attention not only to screen material condition, but also to mechanics, fixing mechanism, it should fix screen at any possition and roll back easy..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, all. First-time post.

I'm also a screen newbie, and a $300-or-so screen sounded great to me. I followed the link provided above for the ER120WH1 (copied below for convenience, but without the "http" part because first-time posters cannot post URLs. Grrrr...), and the price was $458.99 plus hefty shipping:

// www.amazon.com/Elite-Screens-ER120WH1-Sable-Screen/dp/B00366S0UW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1292344793&sr=1-1

But then I found the following screen, also on Amazon, for $323.35 with free shipping, and it appears to be the same screen. Am I missing the boat here?

// www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040C8RSQ/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=A2RFSIF56F6W5J

In case it matters, I have a dark room with a 15" viewing distance and I'm using an Optoma HD180 (Costco version of the HD20, I believe?).

Any and all thoughts are very appreciated.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
try a google search for "Elite sable frame 120". You will find better prices, including Sears and the projector screen store.

The one you found at Amazon cheap says unavailable when I go there.

·
Registered
54 Posts
bought a Draper Luma manual pull down 92" matt white

was a demo for only $110

worked out very well with an EPSON 8350

yes, it does have a few waves if you look closely at the screen

but these do not impact the picture which is great

so look for a manual screen to save money and ask your store/dealers if they have any demo units to sell

·
Registered
15,106 Posts
You can get an HP Model B high power screen for under your budget which has a high gian and will make things look nice. According to most long term users of the screen, it will not show waves because the material hides any small waves that develop.

Also, it is one of the highest recommended screens that exist in your budget. It has no hot-spotting, the material itself hides waves, 2.4 high gain, preserves contrast, reduces backwash lighting affects.

It does however have a viewing cone which could be an issue if you want to have more than 3-4 people watching at once, but usually this is not a big deal.

It will not work that well with many DLP's since they do not have enough lens shift for shelf mounting (some do), but works fine for everything else for the most part, unless the screen is ceiling mounted which you could lose some gain, but even then it's still a nice screen at a great price.

There is a huge thread on the high power screen, so go check it out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.