AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever built a system whereby a solid projector screen (not a roll-up screen) can be slid up into the ceiling and then lowered when required?

Some sort of pulley system may be the answer, but what do you think?

Thanks.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,150 Posts
Has anyone ever built a system whereby a solid projector screen (not a roll-up screen) can be slid up into the ceiling and then lowered when required?

Some sort of pulley system may be the answer, but what do you think?

Thanks.
Similar versions that raised the screen to lay flat onto the Ceiling have been done. As for retracting a fixed Screen up into a slot in a Ceiling....it would not be overly difficult if one had the attic space....the ceiling joists ran parallel to the screen, and one used a servo controlled Motorized Pulley system.

Such hardware exists, so it's simply a matter of logistics as far as sourcing them all.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you MississippiMan.

I'll do some searching online but I'd still prefer a manual system -- less things to go wrong and less expensive.

BTW, do you ever sleep?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I was tossing the same idea for my room but my room has an open cathedral ceiling. I assume you want to lift the screen directly into the attic. If that's the case don't forget the roof might be in the way. How do you see this working? Hanging the screen from rope/wire and then using some sort of manual crank to raise it?

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,150 Posts
Oh, I forgot about attic gnomes. ;)

KISS: How about simply flipping it up instead?
Yuck.

That is an act of desperation. Yeah, some have done so....really very few actually....and they all look like haphazard solutions IMO. Veritable "Swords of Damocles" hanging above people's heads, complete with Cords and Pulleys and such.

Now I'm gonna say, if doing such can spell the difference between "Have or Have not", and almost always that is the case in people making such a decision, then yes....let'em swing.

Just don't let go of that Rope! :eek:

·
Registered
554 Posts
I'm such a sword-bearer. Hangs in front of a fireplace. Swings up and latches to the ceiling. But it was there or nowhere. And now going from 96" RS-MaxxMudd to 105" Silver Fire. Eventual renovations may one day yield a configuration with wall space to allow mounting. Or a different house with dedicated space (future requirement for houses considered). But, such is DIY.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts