AVS Forum banner

321 - 340 of 1274 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Excellent shots! Looks like a calibration will not bring you much improvement if they are anything to go by! :cool:

Is the X7900 the JVC model that everybody says has the best black levels they have ever done?
The blacks are good enough for me. In my living room set up. How do you get my your pictures so big. Tried to do the but haven't a clue. Thanks

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Lordy no! If you look at my posts I am amongst the most critical of them.
I am a long time owner of many pieces of Sony gear though and try to hold them to account for things that fail us, their customers.
Such as the previous lack of working iris and the current near black bug, on the 760.
I also like to show why they are some of the best projectors out there currently despite their many detractors.
The 760 is hands down the best projector I have ever had though. Stable, bright, colourful, sharp. Better since the last firmware too and hopefully better still soon.
What do you currently have again?
I have a Sony 300ES. Going into its six year (had OB replaced 2 years ago under warranty), but looking to upgrade to a true HDR model. Would you say a laser pj has a sharper image than other types? Are you concerned about the Sony OB degradation?

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #323 (Edited)
I have a Sony 300ES. Going into its six year (had OB replaced 2 years ago under warranty), but looking to upgrade to a true HDR model. Would you say a laser pj has a sharper image than other types? Are you concerned about the Sony OB degradation?
I would say that the laser model has the same lens type as the model you have but with better QC these days and of course the laser models are rocking a more refined firmware and much better processing than models of the one you haves era.
The DFO feature is definitely suck it and see but I think it is far more at home on the 760, as the 870 (the original DFO exponent) has a reference class lens that makes one wonder why such a feature would even be needed on it.
the clarity, stability etc etc all go together to make it a compelling proposition. It would be a clear step up from what you have already. The panels are also a newer design over your 300 and are not as susceptible to the OB issue you referred to.
I am not personally worried as when I use mine it gets used for many hours straight and that is the best thing for them apparently.
For example, I have a VW60 I recently resurrected by replacing a failed blue panel (as in completely failed, no blue at all in the image) and it has nearly 11000 operational hours on it!
Slapped in a new panel, new bulb and tweaked and it is now suh-weeet. I say 'slapped in' a new panel, fitting was relatively easy, aligning it physically was time consuming and tricky. I wanted to get the best possible physical alignment I could (for obvious reasons) and the hard work paid off with a razor sharp image.
So it kind of backs up the theory of high usage preventing degradation.
So if it does degrade after the warranty expires then I will lose confidence in the product and think twice before buying another.
*But* I haven't had any panel issues in any of my pj's since my VW50 however, and so I am not unduly concerned, no.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
I would say that the laser model has the same lens type as the model you have but with better QC these days and of course the laser models are rocking a more refined firmware and much better processing than models of the one you haves era.
The DFO feature is definitely suck it and see but I think it is far more at home on the 760, as the 870 (the original DFO exponent) has a reference class lens that makes one wonder why such a feature would even be needed on it.
the clarity, stability etc etc all go together to make it a compelling proposition. It would be a clear step up from what you have already. The panels are also a newer design over your 300 and are not as susceptible to the OB issue you referred to.
I am not personally worried as when I use mine it gets used for many hours straight and that is the best thing for them apparently.
For example, I have a VW60 I recently resurrected by replacing a failed blue panel (as in completely failed, no blue at all in the image) and it has nearly 11000 operational hours on it!
Slapped in a new panel, new bulb and tweaked and it is now suh-weeet. I say 'slapped in' a new panel, fitting was relatively easy, aligning it physically was time consuming and tricky. I wanted to get the best possible physical alignment I could (for obvious reasons) and the hard work paid off with a razor sharp image.
So it kind of backs up the theory of high usage preventing degradation.
So if it does degrade after the warranty expires then I will lose confidence in the product and think twice before buying another.
*But* I haven't had any panel issues in any of my pj's since my VW50 however, and so I am not unduly concerned, no.
So maybe not the laser but the updated components overall may help create a better image. Possibly their 695ES model. I'm waiting to see what they announce in the fall before making a move in any event.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #325 (Edited)
So maybe not the laser but the updated components overall may help create a better image. Possibly their 695ES model. I'm waiting to see what they announce in the fall before making a move in any event.
The latest panels went into the 760 first I believe. So yes the updated components will make a difference BUT and it is a big but, the laser imparts a solidity and flat panel like stability to the image bulbs simply cannot.
I had a 550 before this, (essentially the same as the 570/695), and that was 1800 lumens but the first words that came out of my wife's mouth when we fired up the 760 was, Wow, that is just like a huge TV! The brightness is immediately noticeable over the 550/570 and yet the contrast is as good or better.
I admire you being able to hold off until autumn, I don't think you will see anything new at that point other than maybe a slew of firmware updates from manufacturers as there is nothing I think they can add that needs new hardware.
Personally I would buy now.
You are in a good place though. A PJ that you like and deciding whether or not to upgrade.

Reactions: cdnscg

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #327
Another photo from the Runco LS-10 after some slight calibration adjustments.

Nice.
What movie?

Oh, you need to get your keystone sorted.... ;):D

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom

First time I’ve tried SDR BT2020 on my Panasonic UB420, need to rewatch with the Epson doing the HDR handling to see which I think is better.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
Life of Pi

R.I.P. Irrfan Khan 7 January 1967 - 29 April 2020 (aged 53)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
^Some lovely images right there.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #334
^Some lovely images right there.
Life of Pi. One of the first films out on UHD BR as I recall and used in many threads to show awesome PQ. :D:cool:

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #335
Weather is supposed to be colder here over the weekend so I will doubtless be able to get some more shots, ready for next week. :D:p

Reactions: Luminated67

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Weather is supposed to be colder here over the weekend so I will doubtless be able to get some more shots, ready for next week. :D:p
Owner of a supermarket so evenings is the only time to myself, that is if the wife hasn’t some chore by the time I get home.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Life of Pi

Hello PioManiac, hope you are doing fine in AB. Are the shots from the Panasonic or Oppo? If the Panny, what settings are you using? Great shots for an e-shift pj. I have the JVC RS55, but never found it to be as clear as your images.

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
Hello PioManiac, hope you are doing fine in AB. Are the shots from the Panasonic or Oppo? If the Panny, what settings are you using? Great shots for an e-shift pj. I have the JVC RS55, but never found it to be as clear as your images.
Oppo 203 and I'm playing the 4K/HDR disc with BT.2020/WCG/HDR

IIRC, the RS55 is a 2011 model, 1080p with substantially less light output.

The JVC 2015 4K E-shift lineup was a substantial upgrade,
....and about 600 lumens brighter, so that definitely helps.

(all my shots are in low lamp mode, about 1200 hours on the lamp)

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Oppo 203 and I'm playing the 4K/HDR disc with BT.2020/WCG/HDR

IIRC, the RS55 is a 2011 model, 1080p with substantially less light output.

The JVC 2015 4K E-shift lineup was a substantial upgrade, about 600 lumens brighter, so that definitely helps.

(all my shots are in low lamp mode, about 1200 hours on the lamp)
The RS55 is also a 4K e-shift, but the light level must make a lot of difference.

321 - 340 of 1274 Posts