AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

i have a bigger living room area with 7.1 surround sound system setup to my tv. I want to setup Projector with Retractable screen near my television and hook up my projector to my surround system
Below is my current configuration

1. 7.1 Sound system with Yamaha RX-A3040 Receiver

2. Chromecast, Amazon Firetv, HTPC system, Sony PS3 are connected to Yamaha Receiver
3. Receiver is connected to Sony 55 inches tv
4. Logitech Harmony Elite remote connected to all these devices
5. Google home mini hub ( i can use commands to start and stop the tv and devices)

Right now i watch tv using these devices
I want to setup a projector with Retractable screen near my tv.

whenever i want to watch tv, i can close the screen and during night times, i can watch movies or tv on the projector screen

I have attached the screenshots of my living room area ( kindly ignore the mess created by my daughter near tv)

1. I want to install projector near the end of the living room and the screen on top of tv ( so that when i make the screen down, tv should be at back end)
if tv is back of the screen, will the image be OK or will tv come into the picture ?

2. Can i connect the receiver output to both TV and projector ? if so how can i do that ?
3. Do i need to drill holes and connect the HDMI wire from receiver to projector ?
4. sometimes i use wireless headphones ( connected to tv via RF signal). can i use the same headphones for my projector ?
5. how much big screen can i purchase for my living room ?

Kindly help me in setting up a projector and screen

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
5. how much big screen can i purchase for my living room ?
What is the budget for the projector and screen?
What will be the use? Movies, TV, games? What types of games? Any 3D? 4K and HDR or 1080p in SDR? Mostly streaming or disc?
What are the dimensions of the room?
What is the seating distance?
Will there be any lights on viewing?
Have you seen a DLP projector with a color wheel in person?

Contrast and black level will be severely affected by reflections from the white walls. This affects all projector setups, especially those capable of good black level.

Here is an example of what room treatment can do versus white walls:
https://www.facebook.com/projectiondream/videos/1692721894385217/

And a detailed explanation:
https://projectiondream.com/en/contrast-projector-environment/
http://projectiondream.com/en/movie-brightness-adl-contrast-measurements/

Can the room be treated?
It does not have to be black velvet, a dark shade of paint will work, albeit to a lesser degree than light absorbing fabric.

Drop down screens, if they are not tensioned the fabric will develop waves. Sometimes out of the box.

The size of the screen is subjective, get the projector and use it for a few days/weeks and then decide on the screen size.

Charts with recommended seating distance to diagonal exist, but personal preference comes into play:

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
1. I want to install projector near the end of the living room and the screen on top of tv ( so that when i make the screen down, tv should be at back end)
if tv is back of the screen, will the image be OK or will tv come into the picture ?
1.If the screen drops in front of the TV there is no problem.
Many screens are back blacked, an opaque layer that does not light get through. So even if the TV was on, the light should not pass through.

2. Can i connect the receiver output to both TV and projector ? if so how can i do that ?
3. Do i need to drill holes and connect the HDMI wire from receiver to projector ?
4. sometimes i use wireless headphones ( connected to tv via RF signal). can i use the same headphones for my projector ?
2.Not too familiar with receivers, but that should be possible. Just connect a HDMI cable from the output of the receiver to the PJ.
3.A HDMI cable needs to connect the receiver and the projector, but what happens to the cable is up to the user.
4.Some projectors may have an audio output, but it's better to connect the wireless headphones to the receiver, if possible.
What type of headphones are they?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am planning around $1000

What will be the use? Movies, TV, games? What types of games? Any 3D? 4K and HDR or 1080p in SDR? Mostly streaming or disc?

4K, 1080P and sometimes gaming ( i have PS3)

i have big living area. space between sofa and tv is 20 feet

20 ft from sofa to tv

Yes and No

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
I am planning around $1000

4K, 1080P and sometimes gaming ( i have PS3)

i have big living area. space between sofa and tv is 20 feet

20 ft from sofa to tv

Yes and No
With $1000 it will be difficult to get a projector and screen.
Definitely not 4K. At 20ft the resolution of the 4K is too far away anyway to be distinguished from 1080p.

Some bright options would be:
Epson HC1060.
Optoma GT1080HDR.
Refurbished Epson HC3100/3700.

Where can the projector be placed?
Ceiling?
At what distance from the screen?
Few projectors have the throw range for 20ft, the closer the better. The closer a projector is the brighter it will be also.

The roll down screen will have waves. Sometimes straight away.
To eliminate waves the screen needs to be tensioned. A decent screen with tab tensioning can go over 1$K.

Lights on viewing is difficult even with ALR screen. In this scenario, the less light the better. But the image will be washed out to a degree, depending on the intensity of the lights.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts