AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I finally pulled the trigger and ordered a Z1 from General Audio Inc on Tuesday. "Dave" told me that they didn't have any in stock, that there was a problem with Sanyo "switching warehouses without telling anybody" or something like that. He's having trouble communicating with Sanyo, basically. But he tells me he thinks they'll get a new shipment in by Friday. I've been waiting months to get a projector, and yes, a few more days WILL kill me, so I ask about next day shipping. He says for $25 I can get next day, and it's possible I could get my projector BY Friday. I tell him okay, and he says to check back with him Thursday morning, that he should know for sure by then. So I do, and he tells me Thursday (today) he's seen the invoice, or something like that, and Sanyo shipped out a bunch of projector's Wed, and yes, I will get my projector Friday (which is tomorrow, for anybody keeping score.) Okay, so far so good. But when I ask for a tracking number, Dave tells me he doesn't have a tracking number yet - even though he says Sanyo has already shipped my projector...This doesn't make sense to me, but Dave says I'll get projector tomorrow, so, basically, why worry about a tracking number?

If I do get my projector tomorrow, tracking number or no tracking number, he's right, everything will be fine. But if I don't, I sure as hell want my $25 back. No sense paying for next day shipping if I'm going to get my projector five days or more after I innitially ordered it....

What do you guys think? Is there any cause for worry here, or am I just being overly anxious? I'm EXTREMELY excited to get my projector (first ever) so it's possible I'm just being a little paranoid...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Consider this a sympathy post. I heard the same story from boxlight for 11 days. I was told almost daily that they had confirmed the warehouse was shipping it but I never got shipping number. This doesn't mean it's bad news for you, just that it's how the system seems to work. I'm guessing the guys we buy from don't keep any products on hand, they all have to be ordered from the manufacturer. The sellers have no control over the manufacturers warehouse.

Ended up getting my X1 from Best Buy. Was worth overpaying a little just to not feel jerked around.

Good Luck!

I feel your pain, man! :)

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the sympathy, Rugid!

I actually tried looking around big electronic stores in my area, but their projector selections were poor to none. They didn't have any X1s, and what they did have was sort of shoved in a corner and clearly neglected...

·
Banned
4,104 Posts
Quote:
If I do get my projector tomorrow, tracking number or no tracking number, he's right, everything will be fine. But if I don't, I sure as hell want my $25 back. No sense paying for next day shipping if I'm going to get my projector five days or more after I innitially ordered it....
I know many of you will find this difficult to accept, but as someone that runs a couple of different websites I can tell you that many places do drop shipments such as he is referring to. When places do drop shipments they generally don't get tracking numbers from their vendors and it can be a pain thi the butt to get them. You could literally spend hours trying to get tracking numbers for everyone's packages.

Now in your case this guy really wants your business and wants to satisfy a customer who of course wants something fast. All customers seem to want their stuff fast but don't take into account processing time and other variables such as time of day, etc.

Just because you ask for overnight doesn't mean you will get it tomorrow, it means that the shipping will be overnight once it ships.

This is something you can easily clarify by contacting a store and asking them if something is in stock, if it is drop-shipped, and when can they expect you to get it.

In this case the guy has obviously been up front. they didn't have them but you want it bad but it's almost as though you are blaming them because you want overnight shipping.

Now we all want sites that have EVERYTHING in stock and after we press our order buttons we expect items to magically fall into a box and ship out immediately. With some companies it seems this fast. Few are this much on the ball. Other companies will tell you right up front that shipping could take two weeks, or processing time alone will take 48 hours.

In this specific case I think the guy should have been up front as possible by saying he has items drop shipped and has no tracking info. then he should have told you they are not in stock and there is no way he can get it to you overnight and then give you the option of shipping it via your preference when it finally DOES come in.

Sorry to be so long winded about this but being on the other end of it I had to get it off my chest.

Good luck in getting your PJ, I hope you enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"Sorry to be so long winded about this but being on the other end of it I had to get it off my chest."

Not at all Dean, I appreciate your input and welcome a perspective from the other side of the fence. What you have to say makes a lot of sense to me. One of the reasons I decided to go with AGI was because the guy didn't tell me they had the projector in stock when they didn't. He was honest enough to tell me that knowing he might lose my business by doing so and that impressed me.

I know I'm being impatient and that many customers are impatient. But - and this is a big but - once he TELLS me I'm going to get my projector on such and such date, if I pay extra for shipping, then I expect to get it on that date, or at least within say, a two day radius...otherwise I should have the option of waiting without paying extra, or finding somewhere that can get it to me sooner.

(Re-reading your post, I realize I'm not sure what "drop shipping" means. And I'm not sure if you're saying this guy hasn't been entirely honest with me in terms of when I'll get the projector?)

I know I'm jumping the gun here anyway - I mean I know I don't really have anything to complain about, yet.

CMRA - I appreciate the reassuring words. Hope my experience turns out like yours.

Thanks to both of you for responding!

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Mr. Davis,

best of luck in your election against The Terminator...

:)

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've been working out at the gym to prepare for the recall campaign against me, slateef, so you're going to see a whole new Gray come voting day.

I'm going to pick up little Gary Coleman and use him like a sledgehammer to knock "Ah-nold" feet first into the ground. All you're going to see of Mr. "I'll be bahhhhk" is the top of his flat head sticking out of the pavement when I'm done with him. The same goes for all the rest of the candidates who dare to oppose me. I'll crush them all! They'll learn to fear the name Gray. California is MY state!

"It's Gray day."

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
LMAO!

:)

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
"Did you get ypur F*****g projector yet?? You got us all wired up..."

No! Called today and was told that AGI got my order right, but Sanyo got it wrong. Dave said they sent an order to Sanyo for one next day air z1, that would go to me, and five projectors that were to be shipped regular five day ground or whatever. Instead, according to Dave, Sanyo got the order mixed up and the five projectors are being sent next day air and MINE is to be sent regular old [email protected]#$%!!&*$#!

Dave said I should get my z1 on Tuesday. He gave me a tracking number and I checked and UPS shows it scheduled to arrive Tuesday....So I have to wait, which is exactly what I hoped to avoid, but I guess there is no one to blame, except for maybe Sanyo, for screwing up my order. I'm really bummed, but what can I do? I guess this gives me more time to rig up a screen. I think I'll go the parkland plastics route. Thanks everyone for your concern...

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks suryasoft! According to UPS, it should arrive tomorrow. I don't know how much sleep I'll get tonight...I've got to buy a Parkland Plastic screen at Home Depot today, and pick up some sort of component cables from Radio Shack (I have only used S-video until now).

·
Registered
182 Posts
I ordered from Best Buy online on Thursday and paid a bit extra for next day shipping. Got an email on Sunday that it was shipped but UPS doesn't recognize the tracking number when I check up on it. Called BB and CSR told me that he was sure I'd get it tomorrow (Tues). Puzzling...

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
mgh, did you order a Z1 from Best Buy?

·
Registered
182 Posts
The UPS scan finally showed up. It shows the "origin scan" at about 5:00 P.M. this evening. Funny they shipped from 110 miles north of me to about 150 miles south of me via air. Guess I'll get it off the van tomorrow sometimes. Best Buy must have a different definition of "next day".

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Frustrating, isn't it. UPS tracking shows my projector arriving in my city today, and being scanned for departure to my house at 2:10 p.m.

Did I get it today? Of course not. That's because UPS won't deliver my projector a day early. They agreed to five days, so five days it is - even if they could just as easily drop it off today (sigh.)

·
Banned
4,104 Posts
Drop shipping means that the store you are buying it from doesn't actually have the item in their direct possesion. They get your order, Fax it to their supplier, and it gets sent to you from somewhere else. It happens quite frequently.

As far as him telling you exactly what day you would get it on, yes I would expect to get it within one day of the target date he told you. FEDEX and UPS can give you a delivery date but of course they can be off which is why I NEVER tell a customer 'defintely' because I really don't control the shipment once it leaves.

When I ordered a cable from INFOCUS I ordered it 2nd day air. It actually had a delivery date and then on that day it said 'rescheduled' on the UPS site and I got it the following day.

Also I wasn't really insinuating that your particular guy wasn;t entirely honest but I do know some people will say they have things in stock and cross their fingers because they don;t want to lose an order.

I personally am up front about stocking issues because I hate to run into a bind like that.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.