AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi people, I'm getting jealous of all these shootouts happening and being arranged in the US! :)

How many people in these forums are from NZ? or more specifically Auckland?

I would be keen on a PJ shootout. I have a Sony HS10 PJ, and Panasonic Rp82 progressive DVD player to use.

I only know of one other Aucklander in these forums... Xander... is there anyone else out there?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm here. I'm looking to upgrade to my first projector from a 43" RP so would like to hear the results of your shootout and maybe info on any good deals for NZers out there.

PJ looks like a good option for NZers as local prices are a rip-off. Anybody used them ? I know the manuals are Japanese, whay about controls on unit ? Is it as simple as replacing with a NZ 3-prong power cable ? Then I guess you get stung for GST.

Currently like the look of the Panny AE300 but if you import from one from Japan or USA you lose the SCART input which would have been handy for Sky digital.

May even go with the Panny AE200 but it does not have the SmoothScreen to stop Screen Door. My HT room is compact and viewers will only be about 1.25x from screen.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Jonny, there is one with a Z1, another with a X1 and of course the person that purchased my AE300. Hopefully they will all respond to this thread.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Can I ask why you went from the AE300 to the HS10 ? One of the things I don't like about the AE300 is the short throw.

Have been looking at the HS10 but hard to justify the extra $$$, since I am struggling to get enough even for a AE200 :rolleyes:

I see somebody has a new HS10, with warranty for $5200 on TradeMe. That seems reasonable ?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
>>Can I ask why you went from the AE300 to the HS10 ?

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Xander... if this Shootout got off the ground... how would you feel about using your HT room? Otherwise, we could use my house in One Tree Hill I'm moving into this weekend... it has a large lounge, where I'll be setting up my HS10...

I'm also looking at ordering the Da-Lite HCMW 133" screen... but I wouldn't be able to get it for a month or 2...

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Jonny, I could look at it except that my screen is currently in a bit of a mess. Painted it grey and it came out too blotchy, painted it a lighter more matt grey and it is still a bit messy. I'm trying to decide whether I should also spend the money on a Da-Lite, Goo or another DIY. A problem that I've identified is that there is a slight wave in my plaster board that is causing funny varying reflective patches. I would have to cover the wall with masonite (or similar) if I want to attempt another DIY paint job. Depending on when we do the shootout, I should have it finished in about 3 weeks.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I never intended to have the shootout straight away... maybe within the next month or two... depending on the interest...

Xander, what do you think about the 133" hcmw for the HS10 with CC40R? or do you think the Hi-power would be better given the size of the screen?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Jonny, I'm not sure, hence my question in the Cannuck shootout thread. My feeling is that if one can get the Da-Lite HCCV 1.1 gain in a slightly higher gain, say 1.3, that it would be better. I'm convinced that we do need the grey screen though.

I thought that the Dulux 474 (you can get the little square sample card at PlaceMakers) grey colour using an interior water based Silk actually looked quite good (my first attempt at grey a week or so ago) except for the fact that I couldn't get the paint applied in a uniform manner. This color was also the closest that I could get to the Da-Lite HCCV sample that I looked at when I picked my HS10 up from Glenn. I'm thinking that spray painting might be the answer. The reason I'm still pro the DIY path is that it allows me to change it later without the cost implication of a commercial screen.

Heck, maybe the Goo idea isn't a bad one either... but only if I can get a big enough piece of masonite to cover the screen.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sorry if this is OT but I am after DIY screen advice from a NZ perspective. Was in Building Depot today looking at sheets of MDF and other boards. They have a few good cheap options, either a 3mm or 5mm board (to keep down the weight). All were 2440 x ???? (forget height but looked close to 16:9 to me). The 3mm was only $13 and they also had a white PVC 5mm for only $24.99. I have no idea about screen colour so would this be suitable or should I go for the unpainted surface and get Dulux 474 ? Otherwise, where in NZ can you get Screen Goo from ?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
You can't get Goo in NZ that I know of (have to import). No matter what board or PVC you go for, you should be able to paint it. Both Silk and Satin finish would give a fair amount of gain I would think. The PVC by itself might be a bit too glossy from memory. Unfortunately 2440 is to narrow for me... :( I need 2900 wide at least.

·
Registered
82 Posts
AV House has recently received the rights to be sole distributor for Australia and New Zealand.

Feel free to contact me [email protected] for more details.

We are settling the Australia side of things... be moving into NZ soon... we're based in Melbourne.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi Jonny I am in Christchurch and had a PT-AE100 ( great projector ) sold it and am noe using a PT-AE300 is is one mean machine with a stunning picture.

Brought my pull down screen from Tasman Screens in Auckland cost me $500 and was delivered in 3 days !!! great service.

if you need more information feel free to ring me work 03 3389776 or 021 326698

Cheers

Mike

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mike, What size and type of screen did you buy? The HCMW 133" pull down is around NZ$1250, and the HCCV is NZ$1700.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Screen update (off topic): I bought a piece of vinal floor covering and put that over my screen exposing the underside since the top side had imprinted patterns, fixing with drawing pins all around (cost NZ$126). I got this idea during a stroll through Hardware House, thinking that it would offer a nice smooth and flat surface (hiding the slight wave in my wall) to paint with the Dulux 474 grey paint. I applied 2 coats of this paint with a roller and once again it looked blotchy from a sheen perspective. Unfortunately I noticed a matrix of thin lines appearing about every 2" - this must be a side effect of the manufacturing process of the vinal. Anyway, I got a friend to come over with a spray gun last night and we sprayed the screen (what a job!). Spraying works like a charm (even sheen throughout) but the matrix of lines are still there. I'm going to remove the vinal now and spray the wall. On the positive side, I think the Dulux 474 colour is spot-on (very similar to Da-Lite HCCV) and using a Silk finish gives you that slight bit of gain - makes the picture look very good. I do think that the vinal covering idea has merit, but one would have to find a vinal without any patterns or imprints and use the top side (or some even have a smooth underside). The reason I tried the vinal was that MDF, etc all come in a max 8' x 4' size that is too small for my screen.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
After re-assessing my finances, I will now be taking the DIY screen route. Dulux 474 sounds like the go. But like Xander, I will be wanting a large (133" diagonal) screen... yet unlike Xander, I am not allowed to paint the wall, So I'll be looking at making it removable.... hmmmm.... what to do....

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Xander, I've had the idea of getting 4 pieces of mdf/plywood 5'x3', and attaching them to a frame, giving me a 10'x6' sized screen... then painting to suit. I would make the frame/screen something like Ron Geyer has done at this site http://www.rongeyer.com/Theater/index.10.html

What do you think?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Jonny, yes, 133" diagonal = 292cm wide x 165cm high (too big for standard bits of MDF, etc which are all 240cm x 120cm)

I think it could work, but you'll have to be very careful with how you do the jointing betw the MDF sheets. Will need some diagonal bracing to prevent warping and will definitely need bracing behind MDF joints. Btw, MDF 240cmx120cmx3mm=NZ$13.50

Another option might be to make a timber frame with stretched spray-painted fabric. Most fabrics are only 150cm wide (a limit) but there are some than can be stretched along the width quite a bit. You would have to spend time looking for a suitable fabric that will paint well.

Btw, here is a small Excel spreadsheet I put together to easily calculate screen width/height/diagonal and convert betw cminch (you fill in any value next to a bold prompt and it calculates the rest.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.