AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Weighing getting a projector for my new basement TV room vs wall-mount.

First of all, there are only two small windows, so light shouldn't be an issue. Projection area will be on a 12' x 7' wall.

1) So of that 12' x 7' area, not sure what is exactly practical projection size.

2) The wife didn't seem to object to the idea of a $1500 TV, so I don't know what kind of decent projectors are in that range.

3) I think the use will be mostly movies, since we have another TV upstairs. However there may be some regular TV watching as well. I know projectors aren't the best at this. However, is there such a thing as a projector with presets? i.e. Full-bore huge screen for movies and maybe some sports. Then a smaller, less bright picture to handle SD programming?

4) Further to that, does reducing the brightness as part of those TV watching settings increase lamp life? Is there anything else that can be done to extend lamp life.

·
Registered
6,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbone2K
Weighing getting a projector for my new basement TV room vs wall-mount.

First of all, there are only two small windows, so light shouldn't be an issue. Projection area will be on a 12' x 7' wall. If the walls ceiling and floor around the screen are not a dark color, you will have reflected light from the screen bouncing back washing out your image so room

1) So of that 12' x 7' area, not sure what is exactly practical projection size.
This is a personal preference but you would do yourself good to do some research in this are by doing a google for "projection screen size viewing distance"

2) The wife didn't seem to object to the idea of a $1500 TV, so I don't know what kind of decent projectors are in that range.
You can get a nice projector for $1000 but you need to do your research and understand the differences between LCD and DLP, fixed offset and lens shift etc etc

3) I think the use will be mostly movies, since we have another TV upstairs. However there may be some regular TV watching as well. I know projectors aren't the best at this. However, is there such a thing as a projector with presets? i.e. Full-bore huge screen for movies and maybe some sports. Then a smaller, less bright picture to handle SD programming?

Presets are there for marketing, you want the one that produces the most accurate color regardless of the input resolution

4) Further to that, does reducing the brightness as part of those TV watching settings increase lamp life? Is there anything else that can be done to extend lamp life.
Running the lamp on eco mode will help to prolong the lamp life but the lamps will need to be replace so prepare yourself for that $300 maintenance. Lamps are rated at a certain number of hours.. but they don't always make it
Please see above in red

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.