AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all

i am in the process of thryin to buy a projector and from what i am reading it all pionts to the higher your lumens and the higher your contrast ratio the better the picture.

can someone confirm this is correct as i am seeing alot of projectors that are expensive and claim to have great pictures yet they only have contrst ratio of 400.1 600.1 ect

i was planning on getting a projector with 2000 lumens and 2000.1 contrast but as i have never had 1 before i am scared ill buy 1 that is very good so need to know what the diff is in these contrast ratios

if anyone can piont me in the right direct with what 1 i should buy that would be great but as this is my first 1 i am only prepared to buy one for around 700 dollars or £400

thanks for any help

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Most manufacturers exaggerate both their lumen rating and their contrast ratios (CR). If you are watching the projector with some room lights turned on (or in the daytime - curtains pulled, your CR will be severely degraded (to less than 500:1). Read the articles (I prefer www.projectorreviews.com - Art - over www.projectorcentral.com = PJC - Evan Powell & Co.). Art tells you what his biases are and you know where he stands. The PJC reviews are done with the marketplace in mind and have become less critical in the last couple of years (but they are a good source for usefull information - taken with grain of salt). BTW, PJCs "projection calculator" (for screen size vs. distance between PJ & screen) is the best one around (but it doesn't cover the PJ offset).

Don't worry about the maximum lumens (you'll never run it there anyway - maximum bright picture = worst quality) or the maximum CR - exagerated claims. The overall picture quality and mounting restrictions are much more important, especially for a first time user. Anything over about 1200 Lumens, on a large screen (more than 100" diagonal) will be like looking at a spotlight. If you are going to be using a screen that is around 92" diagonal, 16:9, then 800 lumens will be too bright.

NOTE: I'm talking real Lumens, not exagerated advertizing claims.

The best suggestion we can make is to tell you to read, read and read some more. Don't forget that you have to get a screen (either buy one or DIY - see the screen forum), and an audio system (PJs don't have speakers, or only a single 2" monaural one). Your existing stereo set can work for starters. The sound system is 50% of the big screen viewing experience (and HTIBs, = "Home Theater In a Box, are the worst choice).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.