AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanting to finally get started on a media room/HT room. However I have a unique space above my garage that has slanted ceilings that will limit my screen width and height off the floor. I am wanting at least 105" wide CIH setup and that forces me to have a lower screen. Several people have said I could work with 20" off the floor, but can I for PJ purposes?

My concern is with the screen sitting low to the floor, what projectors will I be able to work with without it hanging extremely low too? I know I need some lens shift, but how much and which PJ to fit this room.

2.35 AT Screen (Probably a Seymour)

CIH

Controlled Light

Room Length upt to ~25ft

Content will be mainly Sports/Movies/TV and little gaming.

3D optional, never seen nor really interested yet, but you never know...

Seating options still open, but looking at one row of seats with bar seating behind it.

Budget = Would like to stay under 2k, however would go higher for the perfect projector.

·
Registered
676 Posts
If you will be using the zoom method for CIH then you'll want something like the Panasonic with its lens memory..........

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will want lens memory, but the Panny requires the lens to be within the screen meaning a very low hanging projector....(thanks to Mike from AVS for that info!)

He said the JVC RS45 can lens shift upto 30% of screen height allowing me to place it closer to the ceiling.

What are some other options to look at?

·
Registered
15,106 Posts
The Panasonic ae7000u or ae4000 does not require the lens to be low hanging (unless you have a conflict with the position you will be using lens memory), which would need to be pretty severe. The Panasonic has a boat load of lens shift, more than the JVC. It can be ceiling mounted.

I still think the JVC is better however.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy  /t/1416847/projector-to-fit-unique-room-layout-and-suggestions#post_22156043

The Panasonic ae7000u or ae4000 does not require the lens to be low hanging (unless you have a conflict with the position you will be using lens memory), which would need to be pretty severe. The Panasonic has a boat load of lens shift, more than the JVC. It can be ceiling mounted.

I still think the JVC is better however.

Coder,

How high above the screen can the PJ be? From my specs, there is 31 inches from ceiling to top of screen. Add another few inches for PJ size and that is almost 3ft. I want to try to keep my projector only hanging down less then 2ft, but even lower would be better cause I'm 6'1".

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will still be able to use the zoom method?

What projector do you suggest for my application, I see good things about the Panny, Epson and JVCs too.

·
Registered
15,106 Posts
As far as I know, the Panny should work and allow the Lens memory to still do ok. The JVC might work, but it just barely has enough lens shift to do it so you'll have to mount it lower than you would the Panny.

The JVC can be placed about 15" above, whereas the Panny can be placed 25"+ above. They both have CIH / Lens Memory.

You can buy a motorized screen and have both 16:9 and 2.35 without having the black bars in 16:9 mode. In 2.35 mode, every projector without an A-Lens will overshoot black bars beyond the screen border, so dark walls are a big plus.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Planning a fixed 2.35 screen probably a Seymour or SMX, and front wall will be a black hole. Screen surround by black GOM or velvet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts