AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My now ancient NEC LT240K (DLP) projector has died, and I'm looking for a replacement/upgrade. I would like to keep the cost to under $1000, and preferably around $600-800 if feasible. I have been OK with 1024x768 (the NEC can display up to 1600x1200 downscaled), and have a motorized screen that I can adjust so that everything from 4:3 to 16:9 fits edge-to-edge, with only a possible black bar at the top for widescreen movies. Useable screen diagonal is about 130-140" (DaLite Electrol 87x116" high contrast matte white), and viewing distance is 12-13'. The room is blacked-out, but still quite light in the daytime, but 90% of our viewing is at night, when the room is perfectly dark.

My MAIN requirement is that the projector have good horizontal keystone correction. I KNOW it's not optimum, but my projector must be about 9' off-center (!). The NEC has great keystone correction - even projecting an Excel spreadsheet shows a quite well-corrected image. There is no possibility to move the projector to the centerline, as it should be (at least in this house).

Obviously, I'd prefer to upgrade to 1080p, and MUST have HDMI input(s) for connectivity (even if it has to downscale). I don't care about 3D (although it would be nice for occasional try-outs). Source is generally cable (720p), DVD (720p), or computer (1080p). Audio is routed to a 7.1 system.

While everyone seems to be recommending the BENQ W1070, it only has vertical lens shift and keystoning. I've also looked at the Optoma HD131Xe (also recommended here), but again it seems to only have vertical keystone correction.

In doing a quick search, it appears NEC has some new PJs - such as the MP-282X, which is only 720p, but has 2800 lumens, 2 HDMI (with HDCP), and a replacement bulb is only about $100 (unfortunately, not an LED light source). In addition, there is WiFi for transmitting to the projector (may require an accessory?), which would be nice, but not required.

I tried searching NEC on avsforum, and came up with nothing (!). Has anybody seen or used these new small NEC projectors? Any input would be appreciated.

What other models should I consider? Preferably 1080p, ideally more than 2000 lumens, good horizontal keystone correction, HDMI input(s), and reasonable lamp replacement cost (if feasible).

Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
989 Posts
9' is a pretty crazy offset but you may be able to get away with an LCD or DILLA procjector with a very generous lens shift.

·
Registered
7,180 Posts
9' is a pretty crazy offset but you may be able to get away with an LCD or DILLA procjector with a very generous lens shift.
No lens shift on a projector that I've seen goes beyond the edge of the screen. There is no projector with lens shift that is nearly capable of this.

So much image quality is being given up with this setup it's amazing. Unfortunately, I have no idea which projectors offer this much keystone error correction as it really goes against the rules of best projection quality.

Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts